• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Ineed it is a Sky Fly, so like this:

SetWidth300-PL3SkyFly1201.png

They are visually impressive rides and quite good fun. Also re-rideable as you try and master the technique. But at the end of the day nothing exiciting. I joined the queue to ride the one at Nigloland for a second time, but soon decided to leave the queue and go for some more rides on Alpina Blitz.

The throughputs will be horribe. Gerstlauer state if they manage 20 cycles per hour is will get around 240pph. So we are probably looking at less than 200pph. Ouch!

:)

Ineed it is a Sky Fly, so like this:
They are visually impressive rides and quite good fun. Also re-rideable as you try and master the technique.... throughputs will be horribe. Gerstlauer state if they manage 20 cycles per hour is will get around 240pph. So we are probably looking at less than 200pph. Ouch!

Definitely think the idea of Red Arrows formation flying makes more sense on this than on the Roller, but I reckon your estimates on throughputs are spot on - ie - awful.

And they're not remotely re-rideable with throughputs like that lol!

I know this is HUGELY unlikely, but they wouldn't have been sensible and maybe gone for 2 would they? Now 2 or 3 or these in a row would quite impressive.

What am I saying.

Made enough of an idiot of myself in this topic already.

Lesson learned. It's Blackpool. I love the place... but... I got my hopes up there.

They probably saw that Legoland Germany had one and thought it would work in a big park environment...

They're wrong (Ninjago had a pretty much full cattlepen of death when I visited), but then I've never seen many flats at Blackpool with awful queues, so no idea what sort of effect this will have really...

Given that Ice Blast gets very long queues at peak times capacity will clearly be a major issue, as this will have a longer ride cycle and probably take at least as long to load. I expect throughput to be around 200/hour.

PBB used to be able to get away with this sort of nonsense when the park operated on a largely Pay-Per-Ride system, but only a few years ago, they removed and sold Spin Doctor specifically as the throughput didn't suit the park, and that was only slightly less than this!

Ultimately, we'll just have to see how this pans out.

The ride is unique and is enjoyable, whilst not the best.

The throughput is appalling though as has been discussed and it seems crazy to install a ride which will achieve, at best, 200 riders per hour.

I've known about this for a few weeks, and I have to be honest and say I was disappointed when I found out. I would have preferred an Air Race.

I went on this at Nigloland and it was just horrible. Bad restraints, an unexciting motion, and the spinning just makes you feel nauseous and jars your shoulders against the restraints. Ahh well, it's something new at BPB.

As somebody who managed to get a constant flip going on Air Meeting, it's really not a pleasant experience, but if you don't the ride is probably quite dull. I wouldn't bother riding another unless the park it was in was almost entirely devoid of guests.

This definitely isn't the Gerstlauer I'd choose for Pleasure Beach; if they were having a Polyp or lap restraint Eurofighter I'd be delighted. It'll probably be considerably more marketable than a Polyp though, so if it draws a crowd hopefully better things will follow in years to come.

[QUOTE="Sam, post: 118703, member: 246". Bad restraints.[/QUOTE]

As good as I thought it looked, I watched a video, saw "those" restraints on it and thought - oh dear.

The Gerst website claims it can reach 360pph if running at full capacity, 30 rides per hour. Which it never will be, because that implies that the ride cycle plus onload and offload will take a maximum of 2 minutes. Also, BPB staff are running it.
I don't know what you mean by this. I've seen BPB staff operate rides much more efficiently than staff at any other UK park.

As somebody who managed to get a constant flip going on Air Meeting, it's really not a pleasant experience, but if you don't the ride is probably quite dull. I wouldn't bother riding another unless the park it was in was almost entirely devoid of guests.
As someone why tried my hardest, but was unable to invert even once, I can confirm that it is dull as hell if you don't flip. :(

Which BPB did you go to? It can't have been one on the south shore of Blackpool!

I've been there all week and all coasters have been on maximum capacity (apart from one day where National was on two) and running very efficiently. I know the staff aren't always the friendliest (although some are!) but they certainly are efficient.

PMBO was only on two and Mouse only on four. They finally opened shall 3 tracks on Steeplechase as well

PMBO was only on two and Mouse only on four. They finally opened shall 3 tracks on Steeplechase as well
PMBO can only run two trains, it hasn't run three since the JR days.
Similarly, Wild Mouse hasn't been allowed to run more than four cars for years. Steeplechase was having some problems with the yellow track but they had it fixed by the afternoon.

Good news regarding the poor man or was paralysed on the Grand National:
Blackpool Gazette said:
A man left paralysed after he suffered a freak injury on a ride at Blackpool Pleasure Beach has beaten the odds to survive emergency surgery, his family said today.

Doctors told the family of Robert Sycamore, 58, there was just a five per cent chance he would make it through a vital procedure to restore his breathing and circulation.
But his nephew, Darren Parlour, today told of the family’s relief after Mr Sycamore – who was on the Grand National ride when he broke his neck in the incident – came round following more than 12 hours in surgery.
He is now in a stable condition and breathing unaided.
Mr Parlour, 48, said: “The hospital staff didn’t give up 
on us when the odds were against us, and carried not just Rob, but the whole family through those first dark hours. They managed to stabilise his breathing and his heart, which is now beating on its own.
“He is conscious and has been able to speak a little bit – he has asked me personally to thank all the medical staff for his treatment so far.”
Mr Sycamore was visiting from his home in Ipswich, and had gone on the Grand National – his first ride of the day – with his great-nephew Harry Parlour, 13, last Friday.
The family says it is still unclear how he came to break his neck, although the Pleasure Beach has said there were no faults on the famous and historic ride.
Mr Sycamore is known to suffer from spondylitus, inflammation of the vertebrae in the back, but his nephew said there was no reason to suspect he was not fit to go on the ride.
Mr Parlour added: “Rob had been on rides before.”
The family of Mr Sycamore today thanked the medics who saved his life.
Mr Parlour added: “The level of care is beyond what could be dreamed of let alone expected.
“Rob’s injuries were life-threatening and initially 
he had a slim chance of surviving.
“At that time we were a long way from home – scared, confused and traumatised – but the compassion and help given to us all made so much difference.”
He said he was amazed by the response he has received since the story broke in The Gazette on Tuesday.
“Now we are getting answers,” he added. “I would like to thank The Gazette for telling our story.”

Of course it is still not good but being alive is quite something when you consider what happened.

Am I right in saying that BPB have not commented or issued a statement on the matter? Even if it was not the fault of them or the ride it seems strange that they've not seeing as it happened on their property and it was such a serious incident. I hope this does act as a wake up call for them though. Grand National was in a state when we rode it a few weeks back, along with Wild Mouse and some rows of Big Dipper. There is rough and then there is rough, the levels of roughness of these coasters is not acceptable. If they don't maitain them better then it would not surprise me if they ripped themselves apart (although maybe that is there intention so that they are able to remove the rides).

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.