• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: General Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Is there any reason for this? Cost cutting/too much effort? Or just that they prefer the traditional look of the woodies? Genuinely just curious :)

I second this. :)
As I understand it, the treated wood is more expensive but is more durable and longlasting. Paint is not required and in some circumstances creates more problems because the pressure treated wood contracts and expands at a different rate than untreated meaning the paint doesn't bind to the material correctly.

When completely bare wood, it might actually look pretty cool (think Gemini) but in the interim it does look a little shabby.

It would make for an excellent case study if they are replacing sections in a different style only when the work is need. You'd get a good idea as to how often an entire wooden coaster is replaced, purely due to standard maintenance.

The chap said that the paint is causing the wood to become rotten a lot sooner than it should.

Something to do with the second the paint bubbles, rain water gets trapped behind it and has nowhere to go other than to soak into the wood.

Last edited:
The chap said that the paint is causing the wood to become rotten a lot sooner than it should.

Something to do with the second the paint bubbles, rain water gets trapped behind it and has nowhere to go other than to soak into the wood.
Yes, exactly. Fundamentally, paint doesn't allow the wood to dry. The paint will crack almost as soon as it dries too, thus allowing water in.

I much prefer unpainted wood, even when it gets sunbleached etc - paint just looks tacky IMHO.

On another note, I haven't been to BPB since I was really young, so what would be on the 'do not miss' list? I'll be visiting in 2018.

Thanks.

Unless you go on a ridiculously busy day you should get on everything really, but not misses I'd say;

Icon (hopefully it'll be open when you visit)
The Wild Mouse (not many of them left)
Valhalla (make sure you wear a poncho, and shoes you don't mind ruining)
The Big One (still the tallest in the UK)
Grand National (only mobius loop coaster in europe)

Try and get on all the wooden coasters, dipper will have some fun new head choppers with Icon, Nickelodeon Streak is great fun, and the blue flyer completes the set.

Beyond the coasters, BPB has many unique attractions that may not be "every" time attractions, but you should consider to really experience the place.
  • Wallace and Gromits Thrill-O-Matic is a great little dark ride if you like Aardman's worlds.
  • Avalanche is a fantastic trackless coaster, especially in the front seat (but bumpy these days)
  • The river caves. Needs a little TLC... But its a very long river ride ideal when it is raining.
  • Derby Racer... the widest, fastest merry go round you'll ever go on
  • Ghost train... Not amazing, but it is the original ghost train all the others copied!
  • Flying Machines... Surprisingly fast and high, a great view of the area
Don't queue long for the Blue Flyer, it is such a short ride compared to the other coasters.

Last edited:
On another note, I haven't been to BPB since I was really young, so what would be on the 'do not miss' list? I'll be visiting in 2018.
Thanks.

To pick one. WILD MOUSE !! - Still the best coaster in the UK - and Icon won't change that :)

I just hope you are not a year too late :(

When Revolution was newish, and I went on it as a lad, it was roughly the same height as the Big One and towered over the park.
Going back now, it seems the ride has subsided into the sandy land beneath it ;-)

Went to BPB in August for LNR, the throughputs on most rides were great, but on Streak they were appalling, It was running 10 minute dispatches at 9:30pm, when people were trying to get one more ride in before the end of the day. We noticed a massive crack in the Wild Mouse track above the path towards Dipper, might this explain why the ride has been closed?

We noticed a massive crack in the Wild Mouse track above the path towards Dipper, might this explain why the ride has been closed?

The extra weight of the metal plates attached to each car have caused chaos this year with cracks and chain snaps. I however, believe that it has been closed due to insurance reasons.

Went to BPB in August for LNR, the throughputs on most rides were great, but on Streak they were appalling, It was running 10 minute dispatches at 9:30pm, when people were trying to get one more ride in before the end of the day. We noticed a massive crack in the Wild Mouse track above the path towards Dipper, might this explain why the ride has been closed?

This is a popular beef of BPB fans and has been for years. If when you look down from the ramp, the queue extends to opposite the Krusty Krab Order Up ride, I reckon you are looking at a one hour wait, this is a guess as I have queued with my son to the back of the enclosed ramp and that was a good 45 minutes. I and probably many others won't go anywhere near Streak on a busy day. Get it done early doors if you must, especially considering Nick land can shut an hour before the rest of the park at times.

It's a shame that supposedly nothing can be done about this (having two trains running I mean) unless the station is altered at a fair cost to the park. It's a good ride too; yes, not up to Nash / Dipper standard but still a decent woodie. Not worth queuing an hour for to me.

Surely one of the worst throughputs in the park on Streak, along with Ghost Train.

This is a popular beef of BPB fans and has been for years. If when you look down from the ramp, the queue extends to opposite the Krusty Krab Order Up ride, I reckon you are looking at a one hour wait, this is a guess as I have queued with my son to the back of the enclosed ramp and that was a good 45 minutes. I and probably many others won't go anywhere near Streak on a busy day. Get it done early doors if you must, especially considering Nick land can shut an hour before the rest of the park at times.

Surprised they have still not resovled this issue. It's amusing, given the memories I have of the ride never having a queue in it's day as The Rollercoaster, always being a fun coaster to fall back on when the others had large queues. Not that they ever really did in the nineties, when the park were motivated to process as many riders as physically possible.

I never really understood why they changed the Rollercoaster station to the mess it is today... Having 2 trains should really be a focus of it given the new-found popularity since Nick Land...

Yeah it was great back when it was sort of ignored. Clocked up 40 odd goes one Sunday afternoon once. Glad to see it's massively popular nowadays seeing how it's days seemed to be numbered around 2009.

Think they must've turned the queue round to give more area for people to actually queue up the ramp. Also to stop the possibility of people having an accident running down the old ramp exit.

The extra weight of the metal plates attached to each car have caused chaos this year with cracks and chain snaps. I however, believe that it has been closed due to insurance reasons.

Or because someone doesn't want it open any more ;)

Well at least it's still standing (from the last I heard), so I remain hopeful we may see the mouse running again. It will be interesting to see if the park say anything more if the ride remains closed at the start of next season.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.