• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: Icon - 2018 Mack Double Launch Coaster

Glad they've had great weather in Blackpool for the VIP boarding days and the media event today. Certainly helps people get a better first impression of the ride and the park.

Was a bit surprised by the photos and videos that the theming isn’t finished yet, unless those unplanted items are going back to Homebase next week.

Fingers crossed all be planted for the first public riders.

So just got back and opinion time! First ride just after midday ish today was on the back row and if I'm completely honest I was underwhelmed. There were some nice floaty bits of airtime, but overall I came off feeling a tad...flat about the whole thing. Overall I think it's safe to say a fair few people were disappointed. Based on that ride, I would struggle to get it into my top 5 in the UK. However, all was not lost!

We then went toward the front on second row which was a marked improvement, and the first airtime hill really throws you out of your seat. The second launch is also great as you push your way through the mist (which gets you pretty wet to be honest!) to the loop, which offers some decent hang time too. There's also nice little pops of airtime as you make your way round, the zero g is great if you don't like how much Blue Fire's throws you out - but for me, Europa's beats it on that front.

Returning back after some lunch, we powered round a good few times on both front and back row. Even seeing the ride from the entrance, it already looked to have warmed up massively, and that was certainly the case when we got on the ride. It was clear the trains were making their way around much faster, and front row much better. Back row offered more airtime too although not as much as front, however on those later rides we really felt some intensity heading around the corners behind the entrance - and overall front only just edged it between the two once the ride was warmed up.

Fave bits
The top hat after first launch
The second launch
The drop under the bridge before the second launch
The mist on both launches really adding to the ride

Overall the station doesn't look anywhere near as bad as the pictures, in fact I think it all works fairly well in the grand scheme of things. The audio sounds great in the station, it's loud and great quality (Bose speakers), and the speakers on the launch and on the brake run add to the ride nicely too. I love the mist effects, and hope they stick around at the intensity they're set at now. Heading into that second launch on front row in nothing but mist and then seeing the track appear ahead is a great effect.

The first launch is too slow for my liking, there's no getting away from that, however the top hat and that excellent second launch makes up for that in the end. In terms of where I'd put the ride - in all honesty I'm not one to rank coasters. I'd certainly put it in my top 3 in the UK, which considering my initial impression is a hell of a step up from where it started! Ultimately I can't wait get a few rides in on this much later in a long operating day at Blackpool, much like Helix and Operation Enterprise it really warms up a treat!

Thinking of going up some time in June to take a ride on it. I've been watching it get constructed and I can't believe its time to ride. Anyone got any ideas of how busy it will be in June? Will I get a good few rides?

So just got back and opinion time! First ride just after midday ish today was on the back row and if I'm completely honest I was underwhelmed. There were some nice floaty bits of airtime, but overall I came off feeling a tad...flat about the whole thing. Overall I think it's safe to say a fair few people were disappointed. Based on that ride, I would struggle to get it into my top 5 in the UK. However, all was not lost!

We then went toward the front on second row which was a marked improvement, and the first airtime hill really throws you out of your seat. The second launch is also great as you push your way through the mist (which gets you pretty wet to be honest!) to the loop, which offers some decent hang time too. There's also nice little pops of airtime as you make your way round, the zero g is great if you don't like how much Blue Fire's throws you out - but for me, Europa's beats it on that front.

Returning back after some lunch, we powered round a good few times on both front and back row. Even seeing the ride from the entrance, it already looked to have warmed up massively, and that was certainly the case when we got on the ride. It was clear the trains were making their way around much faster, and front row much better. Back row offered more airtime too although not as much as front, however on those later rides we really felt some intensity heading around the corners behind the entrance - and overall front only just edged it between the two once the ride was warmed up.

Fave bits
The top hat after first launch
The second launch
The drop under the bridge before the second launch
The mist on both launches really adding to the ride

Overall the station doesn't look anywhere near as bad as the pictures, in fact I think it all works fairly well in the grand scheme of things. The audio sounds great in the station, it's loud and great quality (Bose speakers), and the speakers on the launch and on the brake run add to the ride nicely too. I love the mist effects, and hope they stick around at the intensity they're set at now. Heading into that second launch on front row in nothing but mist and then seeing the track appear ahead is a great effect.

The first launch is too slow for my liking, there's no getting away from that, however the top hat and that excellent second launch makes up for that in the end. In terms of where I'd put the ride - in all honesty I'm not one to rank coasters. I'd certainly put it in my top 3 in the UK, which considering my initially impression is a hell of a step up from where it started! Ultimately I can't wait get a few rides in on this much later in a long operating day at Blackpool, much like Helix and Operation Enterprise it really warms up a treat!

Yep... Completely agree. Came off my 1st ride and was like... "Oh... That was not good" just meandering around the layout but after lunch it was a different beast, really went up in my expectations.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Thinking of going up some time in June to take a ride on it. I've been watching it get constructed and I can't believe its time to ride. Anyone got any ideas of how busy it will be in June? Will I get a good few rides?

If it's a weekday in June generally you'll be fine. There might be the odd school trip toward the end (if they still go to Blackpool!) but on the whole it should be ok on a weekday.

^Weekdays towards the end of June can be horrendous with school trips.

I hate that people discount reviews that are good.

Most people still raving about the ride today, I think if your coaster count is excessive then you may not adore Icon but for most of us regular folk it's really great.

In general, the front seems to be most peoples' favourite and I have heard a lot of people agree with Craig that it rode significantly better after an hour or so of being open.

Can't wait to get back on it on Friday, by far one of my favourite ever coasters and the best coaster in the UK. Hopefully the rain puts some people off.

Last edited:
Since Camelot closed, lots of schools do Blackpool.
Some from early June, but lots from mid June.
They tend to clear off usually around 3 though.

I hate that people discount reviews that are good.

Most people still raving about the ride today, I think if your coaster count is excessive then you may not adore Icon but for most of us regular folk it's really great.

I think that was the issue - some of the reviews that were floating around were not just 'good' - they seemed excessively over the top, especially off the back of one or two rides at the start of the day. In many cases these are people who have ridden many, many coasters across the world too, which was the sticking point when I found myself quickly discounting those reviews. They were emotional reactions, not necessarily a considered opinion - as I said earlier I'm still wanting another few rides to properly determine my views!

I am glad to see the coaster is on the whole well received though, and that with a greater ridership across a longer period today there seems to be a bit more balance in people's opinions. The hype train is a killer with enthusiasts, which is partly why Wickerman did so well - since that hype wasn't there. It's hard to ignore said hype and can really put a downer on people's first rides - so it's good to see things are a little more sensible from today.