• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: Icon - 2018 Mack Double Launch Coaster

I know this is going off on one... But I went a few weeks back for first time since about 2012.

I can't believe how good it was. It was clean, the staff were friendly, i just can't pick fault. Granted the weather was amazing so helped a lot.

But for me this year, BPB is better than Towers.

I know this is going off on one... But I went a few weeks back for first time since about 2012.

I can't believe how good it was. It was clean, the staff were friendly, i just can't pick fault. Granted the weather was amazing so helped a lot.

I really enjoy towers, but my first park that grabbed my attention was pleasure beach, the only issue i had was with the staff, always seemed not bothered but this season they are on a charm offensive and always have a good day! One thing towers always had was its customer service, simple smiles go a long way.

Pleasure beach in the last 5 years has cleaned up, and they deserve a chance to build a new ride that can take on Alton/ Merlin and good luck to them.

Im sure in the 90's when pleasure beach was the big monster in the UK, enthusiasts welcomed Alton Towers and then Thorpe as competition and we got things like the Big One, Valhalla, PlayStation Ride, against Nemesis, Oblivion and Air

Went to BPB yesterday, instead of AT, because AT have closed so much that my pre-teen (but a bit old for Cbeebies land) kids enjoyed there this year. The park looks the best it ever has, and I've been an irregular visitor since the 1970s. The mix of rides has something for everyone, and donuts are cheaper.

AT suffers a lot from its limited opening hours too; closing at 5pm wheras BPB is currently 8pm {its not dark until nearly 10pm Merlin!)...

The main thing AT has an advantage with is the Merlin annual pass, which gives you access to so many parks. An independents pass for BPB, Poultons, Flamingoland, Blue Planet aquarium etc. would make it hard to choose between the options.

The only fault I can pick is with the M6, which is much worse than the A50 ;-)

I might get pelters for this on these forums, but I'm actually really happy that things are looking up for PB, probably as I have more of a connection there that Towers! (I'll confess I've been there more than Alton).

I'm going to put an wildcard bet here that PB will give Towers such a smack in the face come 2018 and thus would rekindle a challenge to Merlin/Towers. Competition has, as we all know, been seriously lacking from the UK for years now and, if what I'm reading is true, then things are looking up in the early stages for PB.

I'm going to put an wildcard bet here that PB will give Towers such a smack in the face come 2018 and thus would rekindle a challenge to Merlin/Towers. Competition has, as we all know, been seriously lacking from the UK for years now and, if what I'm reading is true, then things are looking up in the early stages for PB.
I really hope so. Merlin need a kick up the backside and I've always been fond of pleasure beach.

Edit: I misread your post as "PB will give towers such a smack in the fence" works either way really.

What I have always loved about the PB is the layers; how every ride seems to have another ride on top, underneath or through the middle of it.
The grottiness has always been the downside; but they do seem to be chipping away at that.

The grottiness has always been the downside; but they do seem to be chipping away at that.

I agree, my on my visit this year I thought the park was in much better condition than 2 years before. Staff were friendlier and operations were better on a lot of rides as well.

With how things are going Blackpool could be a better park than AT in a few years, good to see Merlin having competition finally.

The excitement is building...

lo8dEDF.jpg

msZ2ba1.jpg

iYszjaI.jpg

2Cuo7Y5.jpg

52sNOaz.jpg

KQAaS6y.jpg

Z55yGhq.jpg

acCqgDa.jpg

Temleh posted this plan over on CF:
fP6YEm3.jpg

Given that the support numbers on there match up with the blue marks spotted near the sundial (138A, 9, and 10), I think this is probably fairly accurate.

If it IS accurate, this will blow SW8 out of the water.

Is it just me or does support 34(?) appear to be on Skyforces plane theming, as well as a few dotted directly on the rides entrance path.

Is it just me or does support 34(?) appear to be on Skyforces plane theming, as well as a few dotted directly on the rides entrance path.

Each number represents a footer. 34 in this case is the footer for the vertical beam of the support, where 34A is the footer for the angled beam of the support. This is a common numbering system found on many roller coasters for easy referencing, The Smiler is a good example of this.

As for Skyforce, it's queue / entrance will be modified as needed. The plane theming will not be moved and should create a very nice near miss.

Small thing but something to watch out for & don't know if its been mentioned, quick Whois search for project2018.co.uk, website is registered to a 'Private Individual' named Alexander Pechkarev on 6th Jan 2016 therefore no company or address details available. Quick search on the name, shows up Alexander Pechkarev - Web Manager @ Blackpool Pleasure Beach. Might just be to protect the web address from others using it but could be worth keeping an eye on, websites not ready to be published do spring up from nowhere and disappear hours after realising human error... :)

Jakob Wahl has also posted on the EP press Twitter account that there is big news to come tomorrow from Michael Mack. It's looking like Blackpool's 2018 Mack will be announced tomorrow!

:)

Turns out it's all being announced today!! From Mand'y Twitter:

"I am here so the news of our thrilling new ride for 2018 is here too"
Ctb1ypJW8AA-n99.jpg

"We are building an amazing new double launch coaster @Pleasure_Beach all the details will be announced today."
"So pleased to be working with the wonderful Mack family and #mack rides"

I know we knew it already but yay yay yay for the confirmation!!

:D