• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: Icon - 2018 Mack Double Launch Coaster

I can take no credit for this information, but Temleh over on CoasterForce has stated that the minimum launch speed for the train to clear the first top hat, with no wind, is 85kph. The maximum launch speed capable by the ride is 100kph and the speed of each launch will be automatically calculated using an anemometer (the wind speed and direction will be measured before both launches).

The original intention by Mack was for every launch to be at 100kph however BPB have chosen to not do this in order to reduce running costs. A pity as the layout has clearly been designed for 100kph launches in all conditions, meaning that speed with no wind could create a far better ride!

:)

I can take no credit for this information, but Temleh over on CoasterForce has stated that the minimum launch speed for the train to clear the first top hat, with no wind, is 85kph. The maximum launch speed capable by the ride is 100kph and the speed of each launch will be automatically calculated using an anemometer (the wind speed and direction will be measured before both launches).

The original intention by Mack was for every launch to be at 100kph however BPB have chosen to not do this in order to reduce running costs. A pity as the layout has clearly been designed for 100kph launches in all conditions, meaning that speed with no wind could create a far better ride!

Surely not? The ride will likely be pitifully forceless if launched at 20% below the speed it was designed to be operated at? Will be a moronic decision by BPB if they actually do this.

BPB have always struggled with the wind, from the Flying Machines a century ago, to the farce that is having fast/slow wheels on PMBO to cope with varying wind speeds, meaning it often runs on one train on busy days because the second train is not suitable in the current conditions.
I'm sure that the launch speed will be sorted during testing to give a good ride overall.
At least they have some contingency planning for the gentle breezes of sunny Blackpoo.

can you please translate that in to mph?

As long as the speed differences still make this a solid all round coaster which isn't affected by strong wind, then I'm still very happy and excited for The Pleasure Beach to be receiving such a major new addition.

Two ornaments in strong wind is more than enough at the park.

either way, the difference is small, so it might not matter too much, but we'll have to wait and see.

10mph is not a small difference, there will be an impact.

It's going to be good, I have no doubts, and I can't wait for it, but I will be a tad disappointed if it doesn't run to its full potential (I'm sure Mack will be too).

I suppose it will be a bit like Thirteen, magneted Trims On or magneted Trims Off ;)

And yes 0 - 100 or 0 to 85 in x amount of seconds makes all the difference, its the difference between riding a Ferrari or a Skoda :rolleyes:;)

Maybe Blackpool Pleasure Beach and Port Aventura had a bet to see who could build a launch with the lowest energy consumption. Port Aventura thought they'd clinched it with their three car train, but Blackpool had another trick up their sleeve... (sorry if that seems a bit ungrateful. Obviously I am pleased that they're both building big new coasters...)

(sorry if that seems a bit ungrateful. Obviously I am pleased that they're both building big new coasters...)
In all honesty I'd PA weren't bothering, their coaster is ugly, can be seen from the main park ruining the immersion, the acceleration seems hilariously slow for such a ride, capacity is horrific and the less said about the wobbly track the better.

Regarding this rumour, I'd guess it'd make more sense to believe it was designed to run at 85kmh, and that the extra potential speed is so in high winds it's still quick. Obviously though I hope it's all just a rumour and it runs happily at 100kmh all the time.

It could be a clever marketing ploy. Say if this rumour is true and runs at 85KPH instead of 100 because of costs, but the new coaster turns out to be a success and brings in more money for Blackpool and in 2019 they're like "(name of coaster): new even faster!" when they do have the funds thanks to the extra income.

Of course that could be rubbish so I'm hoping this is just a wind up.

Karacho, anyone?
Don't remind me. How galling would it be to take your seat on what looks like the best new ride to come to the UK in years, only to find out that it's very obviously been neutered by a reduced power launch?

It may just be me but I can't feel the difference between Rita's & Stealth's launch and there's 20mph difference between those. :confused:

Surely better to never have had the faster speed, with the hope of of "maybe one day", than to launch at top speed and be stuck with "it used to be better" when it is reduced.

The speed of the launch itself is not the important bit. What matters is the speed that the track that follows has been profiled for. If, for instance, the train is travelling a lot slower over an airtime hill than the person doing the maths intended, the airtime is likely to be greatly reduced or even non-existent. In 2014 we went to Tripsdrill on a road trip, and Karacho was like this after having the launch downrated to reduce the height restriction.