• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: Icon - 2018 Mack Double Launch Coaster

"Blackpool Pleasure Beach stays in the black despite poor weather"

"Blackpool Pleasure Beach enjoyed a second year of profit despite a year of poor weather and reaction to a high profile accident at another UK theme park. The financial results for the year ending March 2016 showed Pleasure Beach Holdings made £800,000 profits on a turnover of £32.3m.The amount of money flowing through the Pleasure Beach group in that period which included the summer season of 2015, was down marginally from £33.5m the year before when profits hit £1.4m after a few years of being in the red.

During that period, the Smiler accident occurred at Alton Towers, temporarily put people off roller coaster style rides and that together with an early Easter meant the Pleasure Beach saw a five per cent fall in attendances. However, the company said the Big Blue Hotel had a “successful year” with a turnover of £4.3m up from £4.1m the previous year making a pre-tax profit of £980,000 up from £793,000.

A spokesman for the Pleasure Beach said: “During this period the company faced a number of challenging trading conditions including poor weather during key holiday periods and an earlier than usual Easter.“Blackpool Pleasure Beach is currently looking forward to a good 2017 season with the park opening for its half price WOW Weekends on Saturday, February 11.“Blackpool Pleasure Beach is currently enjoying a strong period of investment, opening Nickelodeon Land in 2011, Wallace and Gromit’s Thrill-O- Matic in 2013 and developing a partnership with the Royal Airforce Aerobatic Team which saw the launch of Red Arrows Skyforce in May 2015. “This will continue into 2018 with the launch of the UK’s first double launch rollercoaster, codenamed Construction 2018, which represents a £16.25m investment.”"

Source: http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/w...stays-in-black-despite-poor-weather-1-8317305

It's nice the press STILL refer to The Smiler accident :rolleyes:

Edit - edited to put the news article in a quote box before @DiogoJ42 has an aneurism

Last edited:
And we wonder why Merlin build so many hotels?

Can you blame them with figures like the above? More profit from one hotel than the whole of the theme park? (I know BPB isn't Merlin, but as they don't split their profit figures out we have never been able to see how much money the parks make versus the Hotels)

Last edited:
And we wonder why Merlin build so many hotels?

Can you blame them with figures like the above? More profit from one hotel than the whole of the theme park? (I know BPB isn't Merlin, but as they don't split there profit figures out we have never been able to see how much money the parks make versus the Hotels)

To be fair the park made £800k profit the hotel made a pre-tax profit of £980k, after tax it would be less profit than the park but still a good profit for the hotel.

They could make another decent hotel in the White tower (especially if they sacrificed some of the car park), and moving the box office into that area occupied by the scabby arcade by the entrance.

And scabby is being kind!
New entrance is planned to coincide with the new ride apparently, that should pick the scab off nicely.

As long as new entrance doesn't mean removal of Noah's Ark.

I really really miss that attraction, despite only going in as an adult.

The ark is being refurbished. I asked someone last year where all the heritage plaques had gone from the rides, apparently they're all going inside the Ark and they're having new ones made for the rides.

It's reopening as like a museum.

On a side, it's funny that the Smiler accident affected BPB, yet the colossal amount of accidents they have don't seem to affect them much XD

amazingly, this article does not mention the Smiler crash!
(source: https://www.insidermedia.com/inside...-pleasure-beach-hit-by-challenging-conditions)
Revenue has dipped at the company behind Blackpool Pleasure Beach as attendances dropped amid "challenging trading conditions".

However, the business posted a pre-tax profit for a second consecutive year despite the impact of an earlier Easter, poorer weather conditions during key holiday periods, and the impact of the Alton Towers rollercoaster crash on the wider industry.

According to newly filed accounts for Blackpool Pleasure Beach (Holdings) Ltd, turnover for the year ending 20 March 2016 was £32.3m, down from £33.5m in 2014/15.

The results – which cover the amusement park, the Big Blue Hotel, and South Shore Mutual Insurance Company – also show pre-tax profit dipped to £821,000 from £1.4m. The previous year's figure represented the first time the company has been in the black since 2011.

The directors said the dip was down to a 5 per cent fall in attendances compared to 2015.

The hotel experienced a "successful year" with turnover rising to £4.3m from £4.1m and profitability up to £680,000 from 793,000.

A spokesperson from Blackpool Pleasure Beach said: "The results for the year ending March 2016 show that Blackpool Pleasure Beach made a profit of £800,000 during this period. During this period the company faced a number of challenging trading conditions including poor weather during key holiday periods and an earlier than usual Easter.

"Blackpool Pleasure Beach is currently looking forward to a good 2017 season with the park opening for its half price WOW Weekends on Saturday 11 February.

"Blackpool Pleasure Beach is currently enjoying a strong period of investment, opening Nickelodeon Land in 2011, Wallace and Gromit's Thrill-O-Matic in 2013 and developing a partnership with the Royal Airforce Aerobatic Team which saw the launch of Red Arrows Skyforce in May 2015.

"This will continue into 2018 with the launch of the UK's first double launch rollercoaster, codenamed Construction 2018, which represents a £16.25m investment."

During the year, film director Tim Burton, who shot scenes for Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children in the resort, switched on the town's annual illuminations.

From what I've heard the ark won't be opening again in any form, might be ripped out completely for the new entrance.
And colossal amount of accidents on the park?
As a very regular visitor, not to my knowledge, it is one of my lifetime goals to be involved in a coaster crash on the Beach, can't think of a better way of leaving the planet.

But the beach is my home park and I have spent many many happy hours there, over half a century... working , resting and playing, like an oversized Mars Bar.
Off the top of the Big One and either straight on or turn left for a change!
No hands all the way.

Whilst the prospect of a slightly more interesting ride on the Big One is a wonderful thing, we are moving slightly off topic here, lets get back on to the exciting new ride that they are building :)

Whilst the prospect of a slightly more interesting ride on the Big One is a wonderful thing, we are moving slightly off topic here, lets get back on to the exciting new ride that they are building :)
Shut up and go answer the layout game. ;)

(Something about Mack launch coasters).

BPB have posted an update of how the construction site is coming along:

16114550_10154907351417365_1748668833153738203_n.jpg

:)

Cheers Rob!

I'm really hoping - like Infusion - the queue line is going to be above the water and under the ride around the area. I can't see where else they'd be able to put an extensive queue to be honest.

I think the queue is supposed to be starting way back up the ramp where the diggers are parked. That's where the exit shop is going as well, so it would make some sense to start the queue there and run it past the launches!