• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: Icon - 2018 Mack Double Launch Coaster

I don't think Icon will be hellish busy next year, apparently Infusion wasn't too bad when a few weeks passed after it opened. Of course there will be some awful days, particularly in the first few weeks, but I can't see constant 3 hour queues throughout the entire season.

I just hope for 3 trains!

We can expect Pleasure Beach to be very busy from as soon as Icon opens, we may see weekdays which are pretty quiet but Saturday's will be especially busy.

I'll probably not buy one of the boarding passes, this is only because I know I'll do Icon a lot of times next season including on its actual opening day.

I don't think Icon will be hellish busy next year, apparently Infusion wasn't too bad when a few weeks passed after it opened. Of course there will be some awful days, particularly in the first few weeks, but I can't see constant 3 hour queues throughout the entire season.

I just hope for 3 trains!
Hopefully Icon will bring in crowds in the same way The Big One did. Whilst Infusion was a new coaster to the Pleasure Beach, it was second hand (and a clone at that) - Icon on the other hand is a brand new roller coaster with a very unique layout, built by one of the most well-renowned coaster manufacturers out there.

Agreed about 3 trains!

Hopefully Icon will bring in crowds in the same way The Big One did. Whilst Infusion was a new coaster to the Pleasure Beach, it was second hand (and a clone at that) - Icon on the other hand is a brand new roller coaster with a very unique layout, built by one of the most well-renowned coaster manufacturers out there.

Whilst I do think Icon will absolutely increase the park's attendance, it isn't the world's tallest, fastest and steepest coaster. I also don't think that the majority of BPB's guests will care if Mack is a well-renowned manufacturer or not :p

A "new rollercoaster" is a "new rollercoaster", whether it's bulit by Mack or Vekoma doesn't really affect the general public's desire to ride it.

Hopefully open by spring bank ...Whitsuntide to us old gits, but then big queues until September I reckon.
My plan will be to do all the other coasters first, then get in the big queue after food and loo.

I applaud BPB for investing in a quality ride over some gimmick centred “world first”. This ride may not have that initial cache that PMBO did or a marketing-led strapline revolving around some artifice, but what it will do is perform well long term. It’s a brave move by the park which I hope the ride’s longevity will reward.

I applaud BPB for investing in a quality ride over some gimmick centred “world first”. This ride may not have that initial cache that PMBO did or a marketing-led strapline revolving around some artifice, but what it will do is perform well long term. It’s a brave move by the park which I hope the ride’s longevity will reward.

Cannot agree more with this! I can't help but feel that Icon would have been a much worse ride if it was designed purely to break a record as PMBO & The Smiler were.

I completely agree too, it' fantastic to see an independent park in the UK make a move like this.

If I could change one thing though... Intamin <3

Out of interest, how do you guys think this will compare to other big coasters in the UK? I've never ridden a Mack Mega, so I can't really say anything.

Out of interest, how do you guys think this will compare to other big coasters in the UK? I've never ridden a Mack Mega, so I can't really say anything.

I expect it to be one of the best coasters in the UK, I am basing this on how enjoyable Helix is, the launches are smooth, inversions are fun and the airtime is incredible.

I think from the POV on its own, it doesn’t look to be a world beater. If anything it looks a little slow and meandering in places. Compare that to the likes of Steel Vengeance POV and Icon looks positively tame.

However what the POV doesn’t show is the surrounding landscape and rides - particularly the first half of the ride where the interaction between Steeplechase, Big Dipper and the valleys and tunnels cannot really be appreciated at all. Those elements will be a big part of the ride experience and increase the sensation of speed and excitement. I genuinely hope this will be one of the best coasters in the country and I think there’s a good chance it will be.

As for the hardware itself, I don’t think there’s much else comparable in the UK. You can feel the quality on a Mega. If you think B&M represent the Rolls Royce of manufacturers, riding the likes of Blue Fire show that this Mack hardware is at that level if not exceeds it for quality. Blue Fire is one of the first coasters where I positively looked forward to an inversion - because of the quality and comfort you can enjoy the inversions like few other rides. The launches are the same.

All the elements are there for Icon to be a great ride, we should just cross our fingers that they come together in the right way and it will be a winner.

I'm far from a car expert, but if B&M are Rolls Royce, than Mack must be Mercedes...?
It depends which ride you go on, I've never known such disparity between ride experiences on rides with the same track design and rolling stock. Some have a very odd rattle/vibration and some do not.

I don't know if that's down to maintenance, climate or what - but it's there.

One of Valhalla's turns is too tight for the larger 8 seater boats meaning that they get damaged.
And anyone in the front seats gets bucket loads of water tipped into their lap.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk