• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: Icon - 2018 Mack Double Launch Coaster

They were working on the Speedy Pass queue yesterday as well as paving the main entry area. Was testing on one train fairly consistently, looks like they tested the emergency stop on the final brakes a few times. Landscaping starting inside the main ride pit now as well with the grey/blue shale that we have seen already at the bottom of the first drop.

They were working on the Speedy Pass queue yesterday as well as paving the main entry area. Was testing on one train fairly consistently, looks like they tested the emergency stop on the final brakes a few times. Landscaping starting inside the main ride pit now as well with the grey/blue shale that we have seen already at the bottom of the first drop.
Brilliant stuff! I reckon we could see softs fairly soon!

Where abouts is the Speedy Pass queue going, out of interest?

I was rather hoping we'd see grass underneath the second half of the ride in keeping with the Japanese garden theme, strange as they started this last year.

Where abouts is the Speedy Pass queue going, out of interest?

I was rather hoping we'd see grass underneath the second half of the ride in keeping with the Japanese garden theme, strange as they started this last year.

The Speedy Pass entrance leads from the second door at the side of the station underneath the 2016 "pizza express" bridge and looks as if it will have it's entrance near to the Big Dipper's fountain. Looks nice enough so far.

What I'll say is don't overhype it. I did that with Helix and was left disappointed, went back after a few over rides and it blew all the rest of my list away. went on wildfire a couple of days ago and though, so it wasn't top for long. If you can, go on with low expectations.

Please God I hope they don’t cover the entire area with those slate chippings. The area covered in it underneath the zero-g is painfully bland. A bigger expanse of it is going to look even blander - grey floor, black supports and grey track. The colour palate needs a bit of excitement.

What I'll say is don't overhype it. I did that with Helix and was left disappointed, went back after a few over rides and it blew all the rest of my list away. went on wildfire a couple of days ago and though, so it wasn't top for long. If you can, go on with low expectations.

It all depends on what type of coasters you prefer. Me personally I'd take a really good B&M invert over a Mack mega coaster any day of the week. Far more thrilling and most of them are better themed too.

I know others will be the other way around. All down to tastes.

Please God I hope they don’t cover the entire area with those slate chippings. The area covered in it underneath the zero-g is painfully bland. A bigger expanse of it is going to look even blander - grey floor, black supports and grey track. The colour palate needs a bit of excitement.
I agree, I quite like how it looks around Skyforce but had hoped for grass underneath the second half of the layout - would have given the park some much needed greenery/landscaping.

If the chippings do indeed cover the entirety of the second half (and I will wait until seeing the final result before judging fully), it won't really be in-keeping with the Japanese garden theme Amanda mentioned.

Exactly what I did with Wickerman and it worked as I think it's great.

At the moment my expectations of Icon are fairly low as at the moment it looks slow and from people I know and trust they saw that the Mack variants are not as wild as the Intamin ones. So fingers crossed low expectations will lead to me really enjoying Icon when I first ride it!

Some pics of Icon testing on a dull day today. I really enjoyed watching it. I love this sideways bit over Steeplechase.

It goes very low to the ground here

4 coasters in one shot. Not many parks can boast this

Icon & Big One trains in same shot! I was only trying to get Icon going over the hill, so it was a bonus to get Big One in too. From where I stood on the bridge, I couldn't really tell when the launch was going to happen as it happened so quickly and quietly, and the train is on top of the hill before you know it

Last edited:
That thing on top of the station looks so out of place! What were they thinking? It's like a warehouse with some weird Japanese theming on top. They'd have been better off without it IMO.

Reactions: pj
Of course. But at the moment it cannot be denied that Icon's station looks like a box with random object thing placed on top! :p

Mandy say it's going to look good once it is finished though so let's wait and see, I'm sure there is more to come.

:)

"Ugh Icon has no theming it looks rubbish."

*starts to put theming in*

"Ugh the theming looks so out of place it shouldn't have it!"

Enthusiasts in a nutshell. Wait till it's all finished.
I never said it looked rubbish before!
Icon looks great, it doesn't need anything else for me, just some general landscaping.
It looks like something she's picked up on eBay!
It's the most random piece of theming I've ever seen.
Even if the station was clad in full theming I'm not sure that thing would look right and I really can't see that happening now.
Should stick to buying fountains!