• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Brit Pop Appreciation Thread

Choose your weapon!

• Blur

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Oasis

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • Pulp

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Other

Votes: 5 11.9%

• Total voters
June holiday to France in 1996 in the car had the soundtrack mostly of Oasis' 'What's The Story' and Alanis Morissette's 'Jagged Little Pill'. Decent.

We had the Brit awards 96 cassette and morning glory on that trip. Absolutely boss little time music wise.

We had the Brit awards 96 cassette and morning glory on that trip. Absolutely boss little time music wise.
Artists to have the UK Number 1 single that year were as follows, at the height of Brit Pop.

George Michael x 2
Babylon Zoo
Oasis
Take That
The Prodigy x 2
Mark Morrison
Gina G
Baddiel and Skinner and The Lightning Seeds
Fugees x 2
Gary Barlow
Spice Girls x 3
Peter Andre x 2
Deep Blue Something
Chemical Brothers
Boyzone x 2
Robson and Jerome
Dunblane Families

Very much a mixed bag, I suppose it highlights that the music purchased isn't the music that everyone remembers.

I know. So diverse. That list above won't even factor in the superb
amount of albums out around that time.

I add a little go through all the NOW albums around that time. Some cracking singles around. And Peter Andre and Gary Barlow.

Babylon zoo is very interesting. I remember the excitement of that song being realised. Everyone was blown over the the "spaceman" sample played on the levi add. We were all like "wow, what a tune that sounds like" full version played on the radio and we all go. "Wow, that shite after the 20 seconds"

Sorry not sorry but a double post.

New single out by cast today. Really good. Would recommend a listen. Just a pity I cant get a physical copy of this to continue the collection. The artwork is boss.

New album in the new year. Heard two tracks when I saw John do a acoustic set couple of weeks ago. He also seems very fired up so could be a belter.

Would also recommend the new single realised last week by Kula Shaker.

Sorry not sorry but a double post.

New single out by cast today. Really good. Would recommend a listen. Just a pity I cant get a physical copy of this to continue the collection. The artwork is boss.

New album in the new year. Heard two tracks when I saw John do a acoustic set couple of weeks ago. He also seems very fired up so could be a belter.

Would also recommend the new single realised last week by Kula Shaker.
I hope for your sake that they release a version on 7" for Record Store Day. One can hope?

Double post but meh. TOTP 95 tonight. Two belting episodes. Weller, cast and supergrass. Truly was a great period for music. Two episodes one duff track in it. That was number 1 in France at the time!!!!!!!!

Also, for "awww I remember them." Dale Winton and Gayle Tuesday hosting

kula shaker have released a couple of decent new singles. Think the album comes out soon. Might be worth a listen.

On this friday's double bill of TotP, Wonderwall was a new entry.

The horrible realisation just hit me today: This means we are not far from having to suffer the abomination that was "Mike Flowers Pops".

Kill me now. I can't go though that again.

On this friday's double bill of TotP, Wonderwall was a new entry.

The horrible realisation just hit me today: This means we are not far from having to suffer the abomination that was "Mike Flowers Pops".

Kill me now. I can't go though that again.
Urgh! That came round far quicker than I expected. And to cap it all off, Earth Song is number one. Summer 95 had some great tunes, but the year ended with downright bollocks.

Urgh! That came round far quicker than I expected. And to cap it all off, Earth Song is number one. Summer 95 had some great tunes, but the year ended with downright bollocks.

I remember that time being about really good British guitar bands and how they dominated the press and headlines. Still shite like Robson and Jerome, earth song, simply red, cher, the out there brother, rednex and Celine Dion all got to number 1 that year.

I have enjoyed watching the 1995 on TOTP. Some utter bilge on, but it's good to remember all that as well. I was 11 then, so was more prone to the tripe. I did but fairground by simply red. Listening to it not so long ago, it's utter shite but, I loved the parents had stars in the car, that album is class.

Oh and being northern. "Who the fuck is Alice" always got the pubs up.

Last edited:
Here's a very good two part podcast looking back at Britpop's rise, but from an American perspective and the Billboard Top 100.

Considering the well trodden story of Britpop, this particular take was rather refreshing (and incredibly well produced).

The British Scandal podcast has just completed the story of Noel & Liam. It is worth a listen if you don't really know the story behind the band, and Matt Forde's storytelling is quite good. The interview comes out on Wednesday (I think) ad it is with Steve Lemacq - which should be quite good.