• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Britain and the EU

Harv

TS Member
Another debate to get an especially active forum going, obviously just try to respect each other's opinions, but I for one really enjoy these little chances to fight your corner and demonstrate your ideology.

Do you believe that Britain has it's place in the European Union right? There was a lot of talk about adopting the euro, or rather, avoiding it. Also, there seems to be an awful lot of regulations enforced upon daily life that stem from the EU. Do you personally think that rules such as those concerning health and safety are a fair deal? Is being part of the Union really worth the sometimes unwelcome influence upon Britain?

Can't wait to hear some opinions. :)

*Rolls up sleeves again*

Ha-ha nice one NastyPasty ;D

EU for me is a yes in many ways, because of trade, and ease of traveling etc - but does Brussels have too much power? Good gracious yes. Whilst I cannot make educated opinions on how in/out we should be, what annoys me is what an earner the EU Bureaucrats seem to be on.

I have read some figures that are, beyond comprehension, and it seems to be a little too convenient a number for some as far as I am concerned.

I am not anti-Europe, I embrace a true Europe, but with sovereignty and power remaining with individual nations. There seems to be rather a lot of waste, and not a great deal of transparency with regards what goes on to me. That rings alarm bells.

Do I have it wrong, maybe, I know one thing Nasty, this should get everyone going ;D

Great discussion point though, and one I reckon will certainly prove enlightening and educational to me! I look forward to reading all the views and information from people with a bit more knowledge on this than I do!

Nice one :)

Call me crazy, but I'm saying no to the EU.

I want say much, but I can understand the benefits on paper that it's great for all the european nations being together and helping one another, but the fact over the years that things have changed when the UK entered the common market and that now many laws on the UK are from Brussels does make alarm bells to start ringing. Look at Norway, they aren't in the EU (and have no intention of joining up as my ex-norwegian girlfriend told me) and are happily getting along while being close friends with their fellow european nations and (I think) have a strong economy in this money-troubling times.

Personally, I would like to see Britain out of the EU while still maintaining close relations and allowing us to get most control of our country.

Also, weren't Ireland considering leaving the EU or did that fall through? ???

They were bailed out by the EU weren't they Adsy? To the tune of some astronomical amount of Billions I believe, so I doubt they are out of it now.

On a side note, how have the banks still got away with this all across Europe, it makes no sense to me at all?

I will tell you something, as I came from post communist country and I still remember.... For me European Union looks very similar now to what Soviet Union did to Eastern Europe a few decades ago.

I don't want to go into much detail about this entire subject, so I'll be brief.

I like the idea of the EU, but just don't like the way it's run. I find it very hard to respect any organisation that ever thought that regulating the straightness of cucumbers was a worthwhile idea. I also think it's going to eventually get to the point of many countries losing their national identity and cultural Independence, something I'm very heavily against.

One thing I find intresting is most EU constuction of electrical equipment directives are the same as British standard for the same equipment. so they just copy and paste the BS and stick a EU number on it.

Desire to get out is driven by a misplaced sense of this country being as strong as it was many years ago.

It simply could not survive on its own. All of this faux posturing by Conservatives is just turning other countries against us.

Tom said:
Desire to get out is driven by a misplaced sense of this country being as strong as it was many years ago.

It simply could not survive on its own.

So every single non EU country in Europe is in a crisis? And every EU member country isn't? ;)

That's a pretty baseless claim you've said Tom, imo.

Adam said:
Tom said:

So every single non EU country in Europe is in a crisis? And every EU member country isn't? ;)

Actually, yours is baseless because there isn't an example of someone pulling out of it(.) following decades of virtually their entire economy being developed around the EU.

Tom said:
Adam said:
Tom said:

Actually, yours is baseless because there isn't an example of someone pulling out of it following decades of virtually their entire economy being developed around the EU.

I never said there was? You said the UK would not survive if we left the EU, but I fail to see why we wouldn't. If we was to be just an EFTA state like Norway or Switzerland, I personally doubt our country would crumble and die. There's no proof that we'd not survive. On the contrary, there's no proof we wouldn't. I'm just pointing that out.

I believe we are too interwoven, it's a simple as that. You ask the majority of businesses if they'd rather leave or stay in.

I think completely out is incomprehensible now. As Tom says, we are too interwoven.

However, I still think we are a bit too far "in" and there is no where near enough accountability to the public on finances and transparency.

I would wager there are people making jobs for themselves, for pointless roles, expenses, wages etc - who knows what these people are getting paid and perks they enjoy etc.

These are public servants ultimately, are they truly "serving" anyone?

I don't doubt the usefulness and credibility of a proper "European Union" being exactly that, an understanding, a union between differing nations, to ease trade, travel and prosperity ultimately.

Do I think that is what we have right now? Not a bean of it. That's the one thing I do agree with the Tories on as much as I don't like to admit it!

Whatever your politics, withdrawing completely would be madness. Whether you like it or not, even if we were out of the European Union, it would continue to have a massive effect on our country and economy regardless. Why would you put yourself in a position where you cannot negotiate or have meaningful effect on something that we rely on succeeding?

There are some severe problems in the EU, but also there are undeniable social, justice, environmental and economic benefits which I would be very concerned about losing. Try to democratically make the changes you want within the system rather than leaving yourself high and dry.

Wow Meat I actually thought you might be very Anti-EU, no idea why.

I came in to read what I thought was going to be a complete a total annihilation of the bureaucracy etc.

I'm a bit disappointed dude ha-ha! ;D

Totally agree with you though mate, it's here now, use it for good.

The EU is probably the greatest thing mankind has ever achieved. An organisation that is responsible for ending the previous 500 years of Europeans constantly butchering and killing each other. France and Germany now talking, instead of warring.

It obviously has its faults and foibles, but wanting to leave is madness. And dangerous for world peace - the more major countries that leave the EU, the greater the chances of descending back into perpetual European war.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

In.

Quite simply: The European Union is essential to us.

If we quit I will consider moving to France permanently.

David Cameron and Co. are making us look like rebellious school children just now!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

AstroDan said:
If we quit I will consider moving to France permanently.

Get out. Now :p

The re-negotiation is a good idea but leaving? Never a good idea!

AstroDan said:
David Cameron and Co. are making us look like rebellious school children just now!

Swings and round abouts, Labour just gave in all the time. How much of the Rebate did we give up during there time in power, and what did we get in return? Not a lot. This is the problem, would you be happy to allow the EU to take more powers from Britian, that cause there to be less jobs in Britian, and less growth in Britian so there can be more Growth in other countries?

I think having a referendum on it is a good thing, I would vote to stay in Europe, but until things like Tax rates, VAT, interest rates, minimum wage are level across the EU, the only compromise is going to end up being bad for everyone involved as no one is going to want to sign up for a deal which is bad for their own country.

Ian