• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Busch Gardens Tampa: General Discussion

Re: Busch Gardens Tampa 2013: drop tower "Desert Dive"

Some bad news for Gwazi from Screamscape:

General Park News - (4/8/13) While Busch Gardens has still not been willing to make any comments or answer my questions about the future of Gwazi in the park, one reader claims to have seen what appeared to them to be one of Gwazi’s inactive trains taken apart and the cars mounted to wooden platforms and set alongside one of the park’s backroads, as if they were being shipped out somewhere.
There is an interesting rumor claiming that if Gwazi’s was shut down at some point in the future, the trains (which are only a couple of years old) would be shipped to Busch Gardens Williamsburg. This would be a very intriguing move since that park has no wooden coaster at all, but has long been rumored to be interested in building one on the former site of Drachen Fire, possibly as part of a whole new land themed to Spain, or part of an expansion of the existing German themed Oktoberfest area. For more on what the future of BGW may hold… make the jump over to that page.
As for the future of Gwazi, a reader took the early morning Roller Coaster Experience tour at the park not long ago and during the Gwazi portion of the tour, did ask a few questions about the future of the ride. According to the mechanic who talked to the group at that portion of the tour, the Tiger side is closed permanently. They also told the group that the coaster was expected to be removed in the next year or two to make way for a new “Speed Coaster” that would open in 2015 or 2016.

:(

That's such a shame! As rough as it was, Gwazi will always hold a place for me as my first ever Woodie experience :'(

I never liked Gwazi. I never felt like I could hold on properly, and as a result I spent the entire ride hunched over holding a little handle. Very uncomfortable. Quite surprised its going so soon, though.

My first woodie I ever managed over seas as well as my favourite. I'll be gutted if it really is gone by the time I eventually go back, especially as I haven't had the chance to ride in the new trains yet :(

I loved Gwazi. I was expecting a very bad ride from what most people had said, but it was probably one of the best parts of visiting Busch Gardens for me. The Millennium Flyer trains were extremely comfortable and the airtime was great as there was enough to entertain me but not so much as to put-off younger riders from venturing aboard.

There was some shake to it but once you get going it's not as noticeable as you're flying over the hills and zipping through the turns. The dueling element made it even better and I had just as much fun at the front as I did at the back.

It's a shame you can't get close to it off-ride to get some better photos like you can for the other coasters. I did get an ORP though which was hilarious! :p

For one of their first attempts, GCI didn't do too bad imo, and it receives far too much negative comments for what was a great family thrill coaster. I'll be gutted if it goes before I go back, but I'm glad I had the opportunity to ride both sides last year.

What I dislike the most is the fact that a replacement is rumoured to be a "speed coaster" which I can only assume is another launch coaster. Cheetah Hunt wasn't exactly spectacular and I prefer a mixture of rides, really.

But it is a rumour so I'll have to wait and see.

My trip to Busch Gardens back in 2005 is essentially where my "enthusiasm" for Theme Parks started so Busch will always holds a dear place in my heart, which is why I'm so sad to see one of their most iconic rides go. I must say, like BigAl has said, when I first read reports of Gwazi after riding it I was surprised to hear people didn't enjoy it and had had bad rides. Granted it was a touch on the rough side, but the layout more than made up for it in my eyes!

If they remove it in favour of another launched coaster it'll be such a shame. The park doesn't really need another one in my eyes, hopefully it is just a rumour :)

Screamscape are reporting that Busch Gardens have chosen to not relocate Sandstorm to somewhere close to Gwazi, but will instead be removing it.

Going off the restraints in the promo photo below, I'd say it's Intamin.

998322_10151683150523566_838511830_n.jpg

Have to say I think that will be a pretty incredible experience. The ground racing towards you at 60mph! Would be crazy and I would certainly be first in line... if it wasn't so far away!

I'm not sure I really see the point of this in a park which also has SheiKra?

I'm not the biggest fan of drop towers in the world, but this is one I'd certainly be up for!

It could either be amazing, or so awful I would want to burn it down...

Restraints would make or break it...

Al has been pestering me to post this after missing it out from a post, again from the magical source on Orlando United:

Back stateside lets stop by Busch Gardens Tampa Bay shall we. This will indeed be Gwazi's last year of operations and should begin demo towards the end of the year after Howl O Scream. No one should be upset about the move since the team there really did everything they possibly could to make that attraction better minus doing a full Rocky Mountain topper overlay. But in a demanding Central Florida market any further capital investment towards the attraction has been deemed not financially wise. The poor turnout and customer satisfaction numbers when they retracked and purchased the Millennium Flyer trains was enough to put the nail in Gwazi's 6800 ft coffin. For those who normally read here they will tell you I've been reporting this since January. They will also tell you I have been stating an B&M Hyper or Wingrider will be its replacement in a new immersive land in Gwazi's precious location. Well it seems there is another possibility of Gwazi's replacement and it involves the word of Pre Fab and Intamin. I'll leave the rest to you...

Take those last words and make of them what you will!

Please not a B&M Wingrider, there's too many! There's rumoured to be one going in at Kings Dominion next year in addition to all the ones they've got so far. They're not good enough to be replicated in such numbers as the inverts have been.

A hyper would do nicely though! :p

A B&M hyper or Intamin woodie would be amazing! Please let them get one of those, far more exciting that a B&M Wing Coaster!!

:)

So basically almost all the enthusiasts cried out for years for a B&M Wingrider, now they actually sell them, and they're popular, we cry out for them not to be built?

Blaze said:
So basically almost all the enthusiasts cried out for years for a B&M Wingrider, now they actually sell them, and they're popular, we cry out for them not to be built?

They're boring and by and large forceless.