• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Busch Gardens Williamsburg: General Discussion

I'd actually rather Merlin operate BGW that SWP&E, and that is saying something. At least the park would get the new investments it deserves.

I agree though, they don't appear to be overly sustainable. Six Flags and Cedar Fair have it right in terms of how commercial chain parks work. There is no room for the full theme park experience, the costs are just too high.

:)

I wouldn't quite say that. It seems a lot of people look over Chessington when they talk about investments. It could really use a ride pick-me-up.

More bad news about this new for 2015 addition. BGWFans are reporting that for some unknown reason Tempesto's train will have over the should restraints rather than the lap bars found on all other models. I can only hope this isn't true, seems mad if so.

In other news, it looks like the park will be announcing the ride (at last) on March 21st:

image_10550.jpg

Or you can find out more by looking at the new coaster they have already built. This is a great example of how not to promote that you are getting a new coaster!

So just when you think a bad project cannot get any worse, the rumour about the modified restraints on the trains turn out to be true:

1959518_672236709555260_8288558134464171742_n.jpg

Photo credit to BGW Insider on Facebook

So it looks like you are going to have to strap the over the shoulder belts to the lap bar restraint. What a stupid idea, it' as if BGW want a coaster with the worst throughputs they can possibly get.

They look like they said to Premier "Give us the most inconvenient, uncomfortable, and painful restraints you can".

Awful.

I didn't think it was possible to make what were already utterly terrible restraints worse... But they did!

Literally, that has taken away the one redeeming feature of the trains, the totally insane/scary complete freedom of upper body! :\

I'm assuming they're doing everything in their power to cap the throughput at 300pph, right?

Haha they won't do anything apart from stop bigger people from getting on.
Like said, capacity will be dwindling down due to these additions.

xChris125x over on TPR has given a possible explanation for the restraints:
xChris125x said:
Busch Gardens / Sea World is one of the largest advocates for restraint designs that allow for disabled guests to ride. This is why you may have seen those red anchor plates on the backs of a couple of B&M seats at their parks.

The OTSR are not a result of Busch being overly cautious for the able rider. They're being conscious and (likely) providing an attraction that will not exclude those certain guests that Six Flags / Cedar Fair policies may exclude.

Meanwhile, Busch leaked the Tempesto section of their website yesterday and BGWFans were on hand to grab some screen shots before it was taken down:

tempesto_site_leak_watermarked.jpg

Tempesto has now soft opened ahead of the official opening day this Saturday (25th April). Here are some photos from TPR:

001_380.jpg

002_396.jpg

004_362.jpg

006_361.jpg

010_327.jpg

014_301.jpg

At least it looks nice and bright, it's almost like one of Merlin's nightmares!

Apparently staff have been working really hard to dispatch as quickly as possible which is need considering the limited capacity of the ride. There are six ride hosts checking restraints, one per ride car per side, so that is pretty good.

The over the shoulder vests do not seem to be causing too many issues in terms of how it rides either.

I still don't like this addition but considering it is a 'flat' style coaster is does fill a gap in the park's ride line-up. However it is not a patch on past coaster additions. I can only hope normal service is resumed with the next major coaster, whenever that may be.

I think BGW will feature in a CSI: Cyber episode tonight on Channel 5 at 10:55. It mentions a coaster crash in a Virginia theme park anyway - I presume it's BGW ;)

Is this the same manufacturer as Rip Ride Rockit? It's sooooooooooooo painfully ugly. It looks as though engineers relied on children with raw spaghetti and cello tape to formulate a plan for those supports.

Is this the same manufacturer as Rip Ride Rockit? It's sooooooooooooo painfully ugly. It looks as though engineers relied on children with raw spaghetti and cello tape to formulate a plan for those supports.
Nope - HRRR is made by Maurer, and Tempesto is made by Premier.

Big news! BGW have confirmed what looks set to be a major new ride for 2017, currently entitled 'Project 2017':

Got to love that video! Let's hope for some more news soon. If I had to take a guess, I would say RMC, would fit in well.