• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Busch Gardens Williamsburg: General Discussion

Can't have too many complaints over that POV as it looks almost identical to the animated POVs we have already seen. InvadR looks fine, a decent family woodie that could have been so much better with a bigger budget. I expect we will all be thinking exactly the same next year about SW8. The only good thing is that this will be a very early test run so we can expect it to speed up a little.

I do like the TV adverts though:

In other news, BGW have also just announced this 2018 attraction. They plan to add VR to their currently defunct Europe in the Air attraction (which is a really rubbish simulator/very poor persons Soarin'):

At last I feel a park has got the right idea of what to do with VR. BGW realsie that they have a decent ride system that is limited by the screen/projection system. So using VR to eradicate the problem yet utilate the ride system is brilliant and could work really well. VR is far better suited to this than coasters so hats off to their park management for being the first theme park to take this plunge.

:)

I think it looks quite nice - I expect it will ride much like White Lightning which is a great little ride. Will be a hit with the families, for sure!

Completely agree with the VR Point. VR Should bring you closer to the action and when your on a coaster it's way more effective to near miss a real life obstacle than dodge a collapsing building with sub par graphics.

VR is probably best used in theme parks as soarin' style attractions and can even sort of justify Walibi Hollands new VR horror attraction as can provide some good scares without paying for actors for the entire year (Would much prefer actors, obviously). I feel it's wasted on Rollercoasters..

Well,

If you're going to build a short, relatively uninspired woodie, at least have the decency to give it some half decent theming....

Come on BG you can do better than that!

Seems to have got positive reviews from those who have ridden it so far - a fun and airtime filled family coaster that fills a gap in the park's coaster line-up.

It does exactly what it's supposed to do. It's not supposed to be some sort of extreme thrill coaster, it's getting some really positive reviews!

So,
a planning application has been found for a 315ft tall ride at BGW :D

It sounds ridiculous, but rumors are flying that both BGT and BGW will get a B&M Giga in 2019.

The project name on the height waiver application is "Busch Gardens Madrid"; initially BGW submitted it as simply "Busch Gardens Height Waiver" but James City Council wanted a more specific name. The inclusion of Madrid has naturally led to rumours of a new Spanish hamlet for the park.

It looked like the permit has been filed for an area where there is currently no theme park development, just south of Festa Italia. So a new area could certainly be on the cards.

A giga coaster though? I really cannot see that happening. For starters there does not seem to be enough space, it would also be extremely close to Apollo's Charriot. If I was a better man, which I am not, then I would put money on this being a star flyer.

I also have a feeling this will turn out to be a Star Flyer. I would have thought if building a new area they would open the area with retail and food outlets and relatively in expensive highly marketable attraction like a tall star flyer and maybe a show, then follow up with a major coaster the following year. Also can't see them adding major coasters at both Busch parks in the same year especially with so much of their capital being spent at the Seaworld parks at the min.

I am also unsure if Busch Gardens tampa rumoured 2019 attraction will be a B&M giga, especially with Mako in the same customer catchment. However there is yet be a wing coaster in either market so would have thought a B&M wing coaster would make sense as both parks next big coaster with tampa in 2019 and Williamsburg in 2020 ,unless The Tampa park go with an Intamin hyper/giga with there winged trains.

Last edited:
We know that the SeaWorld design team went and rode Leviathan and absolutely loved it, we also know that they went and rode X-Flight and were not impressed. Will BGW or BGT get a Giga, I don't know for sure, but it's certainly not impossible.

http://bgwfans.com/2017/future-of-curse-of-darkastle/

Rumours that it may be the end for the dark ride Curse of Darkastle. Concerning that when asked about these rumours the park responded that no decision had been made yet.

Maybe Merlin ownership won't change much.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound too good! There were similar rumours about Escape from Pompeii a few years back and that reopened so we'll have to wait and see.

They are opening Battle for Eire in 2018 which is another "dark ride" (I use the term loosely) so I guess that might be one of the reasons why they are looking at Darkastle.

Last edited:
Isn't Curse of DarKastle like Busch Gardens' version of SpiderMan at IOA? If so, then that's a major mistake on BGW's part, especially as it's only 13 years old I believe? Any BGW/SEAS fans correct me if I'm wrong. We can try and be optimistic that it either won't close at all or will only get a brief closure for some "Busch Loving Care" so to speak, sort of like Hex got in 2017.

DarKastle, for what is it, is a brilliant ride. Losing it would be a great loss to BGW, even if it has been having problems of late. It's not often you get such an impressive dark ride outside of a Disney or Universal park, especially in the US. I hope it does open again but am not holding out much hope.

DarKastle, for what is it, is a brilliant ride. Losing it would be a great loss to BGW, even if it has been having problems of late. It's not often you get such an impressive dark ride outside of a Disney or Universal park, especially in the US. I hope it does open again but am not holding out much hope.

I don't know about you @Rob, but I'd personally say that Symbolica and even our very own Hex are impressive dark rides. I haven't ridden Symbolica, bear in mind.

Well Busch have made a decision about DarKastle and I am afraid that it is not good news:

I'm very disappointed with this. It may well have had a lot of problems recently but it was, in my opinion, a world class dark ride that complemented the park's coaster line-up well.

I know that they did look in to re-theming DarKastle, possibly with a totally new ride system, for 2019 however they have gone for a big new coaster instead. I suppose with Battle for Eire opening this year as well they did not want two years in a row of new dark rides.

At least the building will stay in place as an events venue.

Shame. I never felt the ride was as good as the hype, but it was still a strong attraction and one of the only rides of its type in the world.

BGW will be a lesser place without it - the VR attraction I anticipate will be nowhere near as good.