• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Camelot - gone for good?

So... According to Pleasurewood Hills (who turned down buying the ride due to high price) Knightmare is off to Iraq of all places.

Seems a bit strange for them to pay for shipment all the way over there. Still, it's ancient and had already been moved once anyway. Not much of a loss to the UK IMO.

TheMan said:
The American Adventure was always cheaper (offers galore always) and closer. A shame that place was beset with problems too, that had something special about it.

They were both owned by Granada many years ago, and were sometimes considered sister parks - they owned many of the same rides! Both suffered the same fate in the end, with lack of investment in new rides and upkeep eventually leading to poor visitor figures and financial loss.

It never helps when there's the ulterior motive of selling the land for houses :(!!

The days of small, customer focused theme parks are almost gone. In come the upselling, car park charging, bully boy conglomerates.

Long live Pleasurewood Hills!!

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Thinking about that, would love to see how Chessington would cope under independent pressures - would that too be sold for housing? Considering it's land value will be ridiculously high!

Think the Zoo has saved Chessington really, also it has tended to bob-along nicely making money.

thefatone said:
Thinking about that, would love to see how Chessington would cope under independent pressures - would that too be sold for housing? Considering it's land value will be ridiculously high!

I predict that in a few years you may get your wish!

It's probably the sole reason why Chessington wasn't included in the sell and lease back deal with the parks which enabled Merlin to buy out Tussauds - I imagine the ground rent for Chessie would've been too high for them to continue to operate profitably. Sensible really.

Anyway, to camelot! Or the remains of it..

Scott said:
So... According to Pleasurewood Hills (who turned down buying the ride due to high price) Knightmare is off to Iraq of all places.
Iraq has got a theme park, well that should be good

I took this photo yesterday:

Be0tTo8IUAAX6yI.jpg

Still there, still waiting for a new home. :(

I've heard that the sale of the ride to a park in Iran has fallen through. There's a small possibility that Oakwood may have bought it. Just whisperings.