• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Camelot

BigAl

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Forbidden Journey
Sorry if there's already a topic for Camelot, but this is from a tweet from Theme Park Logic...

Camelot: The Park is now shut for the 2012 season and will return in March 2013... There has been major talk over... http://fb.me/1CbBtROBI
Source.

And the link in the tweet goes to this page which reads...

309097_413334545392652_520899385_n.jpg

Camelot: The Park is now shut for the 2012 season and will return in March 2013... There has been major talk over the last few weeks/months that Knightmare will not be in the ride line-up for next year! Would this be the final nail in a very slow burning flame! Thoughts/Like?

Oh dear. :/

I am sure Camelot would have announced if Knightmare was closing. I really cannot see them closing it - for there is nothing else of note in the park, aside from Whirlwind.

Even though I have no plans to return to the park, as it is terribly depressing, Knightmare really was, and remains, the only genuine reason for a visit and has been one of the top ten coasters in the country for the past few years, at least for me.

Re: Camelot - The end of Knightmare? The end altogether?

I've no idea how credible TPL are for this kind of thing, but from the info there, it's just a rumour at the moment. If this ends up being true, I really do feel sorry for the park.

:(

BigAl said:
From the info there, it's just a rumour at the moment, but if this ends up being true, I really do feel sorry for them.

There is just no evidence anywhere to back up what is being said, at this stage.

AstroDan said:
BigAl said:
From the info there, it's just a rumour at the moment, but if this ends up being true, I really do feel sorry for them.

There is just no evidence anywhere to back up what is being said, at this stage.

I have it on good word that the post/rumour was created merely to gain likes for the PL Facebook page - Knightmare isn't going anywhere. :)

I hope that's true! I haven't been on Knightmare yet as I've never been to that park.

Well, at least we can discuss Camelot in a more positive way. For now.

Topic title changed again! :p

Another year, another Camelot closing rumour - the place seems plagued!

If it ever does see a demise though, I would hope Knightmare would be snapped up by somewhere like Lightwater or Pleasurewood.

I feel very sorry for Camelot, these rumours of closure must really hurt their business no end, I think it is very unfair on them to report these rumours if only for the benefit of a social networking site.

I've never visited, it seems to have a couple of rides to interest me. Seems to be a park I'll add to my list I wanna go to.

To be honest the current "rumour of closure" appears to have come out of nowhere. It's enthusiasts, not the media, who are parading this about!

Pfft.

I didn't know any otherwise really, I just spotted the tweet and thought I'd share it on here. Sorry. :(

Not you! You're just passing on the info.

I'd love to know where Theme Park Logic have evidence!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

This is certainly pure fabrication. That website has changed ownership recently and I believe the maturity of those in control has now fallen.

The park closed following the summer holidays last year, and was similarly sensationalised (by someone else I think). The park will return next year but it will almost certainly be without a new ride addition.

However, it will still be the next British theme park to give, in all likelihood.

The rumour of park closure, is well known around here (I live near Camelot). It was constantly in our local paper that the park was awaiting closure & that the owners of the land had intentions of building houses on it.

Back in 2007 it was reported that the owners only projected it to remain open for another 5 years. 5 years on and they are announcing another season.

It's such a shame about the rumoured closure, Camelot was my whole childhood. I visited the park regularly from the age of 5, along with Pleasureland at Southport. It's heartbreaking to think that both of my childhood theme parks could be gone forever.

Last season I had my first visit to Camelot in years and it upset me. The place has really gone downhill.

Anyway, below are some of the rumours that have been floating around my local newspaper. They are all doom and gloom, before going quiet for a couple of years, then coming back with positive headlines recently. I'm starting to wonder whether the owners even know what they are doing, are they closing or staying open?

2003 - 'THE future of Camelot Theme Park -- currently voted Lancashire's top tourist attraction -- could be hanging in the balance'.

2006 - 'CAMELOT Theme Park is to be demolished and replaced by an indoor water aqua park' as part of a plan to create a new village.'

2006 - 'Camelot Theme Park was put to the sword this week to make way for a proposed new 1,000 home village'.

2006 - 'THIS is the view of the future of the Camelot theme park site if plans to transform it into a housing estate get the go-ahead'.

2007 - 'Camelot Theme Park is to get a spectacular new white-knuckle ride even though the attraction is due to close in five years'.

2009 - 'Camelot Theme Park and Park Hall Hotel were placed into receivership today, threatening more than 100 jobs'.

2009 - 'Charnock Richard hotel saved - but Camelot's future still unclear'.

2009 - 'A Chorley theme park which was on the brink of closure earlier this year has said visitor numbers during the summer were ahead of all forecasts'.

2011 - 'BOSSES at Camelot Theme Park said they have been left “staggered” by the number of application they have had for seasonal jobs'.

2012 - 'Camelot Theme Park has received more than 500 applications for just 200 seasonal jobs without even advertising them'.

Camelot is my local park, but I can't see myself going back there for quite a while.

It's just so miserable to visit - you can see that there's so much potential with the park if the right people came along with a lot of money, but in it's current state, you can't really spend more than half a day there.

From what I gather, Camelot do not actually own Knightmare, its on a short term lease. From memory, it was supposed to be leaving last year to go to a park in Egypt, but that deal fell through and therefore it stayed at the park.

A park in Egypt? *Gulps* Is that... Fantazyland?? Or could've been Sindbad, Theme Park Magic Land or Dream Park, upon research :p

Still. It's a shame that Camelot's future is looking so unclear right now, the last time I went in 2011 the park was a shambles and saddening to visit.

It's SUCH a dive, with only Knightmare and the Jousting being anything good...

It needs some TLC, but I don't think any sane businessperson/company would buy it for the shear need of a complete redevelopment and the lack of potential profit in years... Weird that the locals can't stop applying for jobs there... Is the market THAT bad in Bolton/Chorley/etc?

Benzin said:

The Whirlwind spinner isn't that bad as an experience, even if the station is basically a trailer. In fact, i'd say it's the best spinning coaster i've been on so far.

Camelot is very much a family park - if you're not visiting as one, then you really won't get that much enjoyment from it. If you're looking for thrills, there's always the Pleasure Beach and Alton Towers of course not far away. The investment in the park is extremely minimal, I was actually surprised when I saw new signs and a lick of paint on my last visit.

Would it be that difficult to even hire out one different travelling flat ride each season and add a touch of theming for instance? The reason behind no new rides is certainly not a case of space to put them.

If you're hiring a flat ride you'll almost certainly get no theming on it... What would be the point? It's something small parks often suffer from as they don't want to splash out on a big new park model flat so get the travelling model and don't know what to do with it.

Either it's admirable Camelot don't seem to want travelling fair rides or it's saddening they can't even afford them :/

Adam James said:
Benzin said:

The Whirlwind spinner isn't that bad as an experience, even if the station is basically a trailer. In fact, i'd say it's the best spinning coaster i've been on so far.

Clearly, you haven't been on many spinning coasters... Whirlwind was quite frankly the worst coaster I've been on, and since that list includes Mean Streak at Cedar Point, it's not exactly difficult to not be the worst ride... Whirlwind did it though...

Hell, even Sequioa Adventure is better than Whirlwind...