• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Can you support both TS and TTF?

marky.com

TS Member
This is a potentially a tricky question, but it relates to a situation I sort of feel I'm in and maybe others are.

The huge split that took place recently has left some of us between a rock and a hard place.

Is it Ok for us to post on one site without being seen as sticking two fingers up at the other?

Some of us have been Alton Towers fans for much longer than these forums have been around and this whole thing has placed us in a really difficult position - where it seems that we have to choose sides.

As a long standing member of TTF and with loads of recently found old stuff to offer, should I offer it to both?

How would the team and the members feel if I posted on 'the other site'?

Don't get me wrong, I do wish you the best, but it's sort of put some of us in a difficult position...

Of course you can.... I didn't spend that many years of my life working on it for TT to go entirely tits up now! Equally, TS is here to stay as a new voice in the world of Alton Towers.

The world is a rich a varied place... and flowers can only bloom once the mud has been raked! :)

Excellent question Mark. I have recently pondered the same type of thing.

For me though, as soon as I saw that the old team had decided that they'd been overlooked on that issue and found it to be serious enough to leave and to create a new site, I also decided that it would be good to support something new with the old team in any small way that I could. I'll be honest, as soon as the old team left TT, I joined this site and ended my membership on TT. I will be no real loss to TT as my posting on Alton Towers websites has become less and less over the last couple of years.

On my website which some people will be aware of, I've also de-linked TT (which never linked me back - obviously because they were too good for me) and have now linked TS instead (like I said, small differences if anything by me moving over). But if you do put Alton Towers and history into search engines, there will be a fair few of my pages in the first dozen that you go through. A few people may well then find TS.

Anyway, for what It's worth, I completely agree that there shouldn't be a problem for anyone to post on both sites, but for me, I'm sticking with this one.

There shouldn't be any issues unless you start B*tching about say TST on TTF and vice versa.

I might joke about TTF and take the pee a bit, but in all seriousness, TTF isn't going any time soon and having a strong feeling for something you have felt so passionately about and been a part of for so long, is just normal.

I'm still a member of TTF. I browse the forums but haven't actually posted since TS was set up. However I feel under no pressure to delete my account and wouldn't expect anyone else to feel the same. I'm certain the team wouldn't want that for their members, as I'm sure
some of them still have their accounts and browse too!

I go wherever the quality, intelligent (largely) and active discussion takes place. For the most part that's here and is a testament to the people that once made TowersTimes great.

I didn't ceremoniously delete my TT account in some grand gesture like many people did, but when I check those boards now there isn't much that makes me want to engage in so my activity there has gone right down.

The key for this site's health will be for it to attract new members in the way that TT will have the upper hand on for some time yet due to its popularity/search engine friendliness.

It's up to members really whether you stay on one forum or the other, or use both websites.

TS is not against TT. Which seems to be something most believe right now.

We as a team just aim to bring you all a top quality and enjoyable community. TTF equally will aim to do the same. So it's all down to preference really. If you feel you enjoy contributing to both sites then just do that. No one will cut your head off for it. Our community is a free service and one where you can opt in and out of any time.

I feel it's somewhat a shame some of you feel like you're in an awkward position. While it's understandable some of you may feel this way you don't really need to feel like you can only go one way or the other. Just do what you enjoy most. Like TTF more? Stay on there. Like TST more? Stay on here. Like both? Stay on both communities.

Personally I feel it's up to you as a person where you go, and I have nothing against anyone that chooses to stay on TowersTimes or use both websites. At the end of the day you just do what you are happiest doing. :)

Tom said:
The key for this site's health will be for it to attract new members in the way that TT will have the upper hand on for some time yet due to its popularity/search engine friendliness.
Talking of search engines. Search 'Towers Street' on Google...
Untitled-6.png

Impressive, but unfortunately it would be the ranking for the Alton Towers search itself that pulls most people in, but obviously that will rise with time and work.

I think it should be said that although the main reason why the schism happened has been said publicly, there were other reasons too that caused disagreements on the team, both in the forum capacity and in a personal capacity.

I made the personal choice to follow TST as it is the friends within the community that I am here for, and these friends are here. I choose to close my TTF account when I saw that it was going to be taken control by people I have personal grievances with, and also people who had previously set out to cause as much trouble and upset as possible for the forum and it's people. So for me it was simple, I don't want to be associated with that.

However, Mark please don't feel torn between the two. Your a diplomatic guy who knows his own mind. I certainly don't bear any grudges with people who want to be involved with both. This certainly isnt the first time there has been two communities - look at ATA for example.

"Can you support both TS and TTF?"

Yup. You can also support TS and PBE, or Coasterforce, or Valleymania, or Ride Guide, etc. Feel free!

And don't forget "Towers Nerd". I personally post all of my construction updates on all 3 Towers sites (nerd, street and times).

stretchy said:
And don't forget "Towers Nerd". I personally post all of my construction updates on all 3 Towers sites (nerd, street and times).

What about Almanac? ;)

The short answer is yes people should post on which ever forum they feel they want to and that may differ with time and the different debates that will go on each forum (and i include TowersNerd in this). There shouldn't be any need to feel awkward about posting on other forums.

As for submitting material if you submit to TS you remain the copyright holder of any images so your free to also submit them to TTF or TN or CF. Obviously you will have to find out what the other sites photo submission agreements are before you do, but so long as they are also happy to accept material that could be on another site then that's fine.

TT took a lot of our time and effort when we where on that team and we don't want to see it go down the swanny despite the disagreement that was had. I'm sure Adz and the team over there will look after the old girl splendidly

So we promise NO pitchforks to anyone who posts on other forums and we will get grumpy with members who do victimise any members of other forums...

Tom said:
Impressive, but unfortunately it would be the ranking for the Alton Towers search itself that pulls most people in, but obviously that will rise with time and work.
Oh yes of course. It's pretty impressive we've managed to come on top with 'Towers Street' being searched. Our ranking for 'Alton Towers' will take longer, we will (hopefully) have a very strong site and community behind us so in the long run we should slowly reach up the rankings. :)

Sorry to derail the topic but Google personalises search results for logged in users. When searching Google for Towers Street in a logged out state this site is in 7th place.

I agree with all the other comments, you can like/use whatever site you want, we won't hold it against you :)

Yes you should, you like Alton Towers and both sites do. But many people prefer here due to the community.

I've been having a cheeky browse here and there myself to check progress, so it's alright! Unless my head is jacked off now.

Although it's obviously fine to be a member of both sides, and a contributing member of both communities, it's also important to know that TowersTimes today has nothing to do with the TowersTimes of a few weeks ago, management-wise.

I think that it's good to make sure people are clear about that, the TTF of today has very little resemblance to the TTF of a few weeks ago (whether for better or worse, that's a different debate). Because I think it's easy to make the assumption that everything's business-as-usual, as little has changed on the surface. :)

Thanks for the replies everyone - means a lot. For me, the key thing in all of this is that I want those who want to enjoy the history of the place and read and see old material to be able to do so. I'm a fair bit older than most on these forums and there's not that much in terms of old stuff on the forums. This isn't something that will happen in the future with regards to the recent past as everything is so well documented.

Squiggles is the key historian in all of this and I just want people who want to see old stuff able to, without those who contribute it being seen as taking sides in the great forum war of 2012!

:)