• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Canada's Wonderland: General Discussion

I think this will be an interesting project to watch as I can something similar to this style of ride opening at Alton or Thorpe in the next few years.

I knows a few people on here don't like these new type of dark rides with screens but it certainly seems the way parks are going now with a spiderman style ride system with interactive guns built in as depending on what you shoot can change the story etc which will add the re-ride factor which is often one of the issues with non ip based dark rides outside of Disney/universal.

Maelstrom said:
I think this will be an interesting project to watch as I can something similar to this style of ride opening at Alton or Thorpe in the next few years.

I knows a few people on here don't like these new type of dark rides with screens but it certainly seems the way parks are going now with a spiderman style ride system with interactive guns built in as depending on what you shoot can change the story etc which will add the re-ride factor which is often one of the issues with non ip based dark rides outside of Disney/universal.

The problem is aren't they ridiculously expensive? As far as I know, no manufacturer has a standard model for these type of rides - Universal basically built it all themselves so it's probably unrealistic that we'll see a similar ride system to what they have there. Spiderman was one of the most expensive dark rides of all time.

Alastair said:
The problem is aren't they ridiculously expensive? As far as I know, no manufacturer has a standard model for these type of rides - Universal basically built it all themselves so it's probably unrealistic that we'll see a similar ride system to what they have there. Spiderman was one of the most expensive dark rides of all time.

ETF now do a version of their multi-mover with a motion platform built in. It's not quite Spiderman but it's a step towards it for parks without ridiculous budgets.

http://www.etf.nl/nl/etf-ride-systems/products/multi-mover-with-motion-platform/

ETF were also saying at IAAPA last year that they could do a track mounted version capable of much more extreme motions.

While spiderman and transformers were really expensive and out of the league for regional parks, other manufactures have now developed similar ride systems at much cheaper price points. A number of 4d motion dark rides have now opened across the world in smaller regional parks. While not on same scale or as impressive as the universal versions they seem to be decent additions with the interactive addition to attract repeat riders due to lack of ip.

One of the biggest costs is the film animation but a chain could develop it to fit into a number of parks so development cost of the animation is spread across the parks ie merlin could add the same ride to a uk park, heide and Gardaland.

New photo from inside the Wonder Mountain development from this forum.

DKYfJs5.jpg

Apparently the foreground shows a turntable which may turn the ride cars backward.

Some more photos from the park's FB:

1902883_10152044486388924_1535490924_n.jpg

10014535_10152044486378924_532136972_n.jpg

75981_10152044486393924_940141780_n.jpg

1622246_10152044486608924_1702221997_n.jpg

1908252_10152044486663924_1757844102_n.jpg

1962742_10152044486468924_1882261002_n.jpg

Clearly as much of a coaster as a dark ride now!

Woohoo! I just hope it's open in time for October. (Oh yeah, Kelpie and I are planning to visit Canada's Wonderland in October. And West Edmonton Mall.) >:D

A photo from Canada's Wonderland's Facebook page:

1960793_10152097534763924_1495246660_o.jpg

According to Screamscape there is a steep drop all the way down to ground level following this. So there is definitely a coaster part to this dark ride! Very interesting!

:)

It looks like me and Kelpie will be visiting this epic park in October. Has anyone here been before, and if so, got any tips? We will be there for two days during their halloween event, and I'm concerned that we won't get everything done! :p

I was there back in July '06, so before the likes of Leviathan and Behemoth but that's still peak season considering Canadian school holidays start May/June time.

I had no problems getting everything done, the only real lines were at the start of the day and the libgestvI waited was probably around 45 mins. I can't comment on what Halloween will be like, but it's a huge park with (IIRC) long hours, so you should be fine. Just try to focus on the big stuff and font waste your time queuing for older, less impressive rides. I wasted my time queuing for their Volare expecting it to be like Air. Oh how wrong I was!! :-[

Hehe, I won't be going all that way to not ride every credit. If we can get all 16 coasters plus the Huss Jump 2, I'll be happy.

Please being the Huss Jump2 back with you somehow, thanks! :p

I'll see what I can do. Might have to ask you to chip in for the excess baggage costs though.

Here's one for you - which park is further north? Holiday Park, Parc Asterix or Canada's Wonderland? And don't cheat!

Hmm, well this may be a little off topic, but at a guess I would say Asterix? Geography was never my strong point, but I'm sure Toronto is nowhere near as far north as you'd think it is.

Asterix then Holiday Park then Canada's Wonderland I think :)

Edit: Bugger, just checked and Holiday Park is VERY marginally to the north of Asterix :(

Yeah, having looked at guggel mups It seems HP is the most northern of those three.