• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Canada's Wonderland: General Discussion

BigAl

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Forbidden Journey
From Screamscape today:

Park News - (11/14/12) Screamscape sources have let us in on two possible developments to the park’s coaster landscape. For starters, the park is already said to be looking into ideas for it’s next coaster, but don’t expect to see anything go up until at least 2015. The second rumor continues the story we started last week about how Cedar Fair was looking at removing an older coaster from most of their parks over the next several years. Apparently the coaster on the top of the chopping block for CW is SkyRider, the park’s Togo Stand-Up Coaster.

It seems that we're set to loose one of out beloved Togo rides. I'm sure it will feel like a part of us all has died when they begin to take this apart:

Sky Rider Front Row on-ride HD POV Canada's Wonderland

It's funny because, according to the video description, this Togo coaster is actually quite smooth, so we'll be loosing one of the better examples. Oh well! :p

Anyway, 2015 and onwards is when we can expect something big from the park to appear.

:)

After that incident with a Togo stand up coaster a few years ago, I'll not be sad to hear of any Togo coaster being removed *shudder*.

Here's hoping for something big and shiny in its place!

Canada's Wonderland has fared well under Cedar Fair - here's to the next ten years!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Awww, man :( I was kinda looking forward to breaking my Togo cherry if I ever get round to doing that Canada trip :(

Anyone who has ridden a TOGO coaster (there's not enough alcohol in Sheffield to drown out the memory) will find it difficult to oppose the removal of pretty much any of their rides.

What Sam said! Shockwave at Kings Dominion is one of if not the worst coaster I have ever ridden. It's boring, rough, painful, stupid, pointless and a faff machine! A Togo being ripped down is a good thing for the future of the human race, fact!

I've been on Sky Rider once. NEVER NEVER AGAIN! I remember standing in line for this coaster and looking at that banked curve -yes, that one- and thinking that some kind of drunk engineer worked on it. Earlier on the day, I rode Leviathan and Behemoth, no problem whatsoever, but this, this was the scariest coaster of the entire park.

Corinec said:
I remember standing in line for this coaster and looking at that banked curve -yes, that one- and thinking that some kind of drunk engineer worked on it. Earlier on the day, I rode Leviathan and Behemoth, no problem whatsoever, but this, this was the scariest coaster of the entire park.
Is that not a good thing? :p

Screamscape is suggesting that a name that Cedar Fair has filed for trademark could be for a new hyper coaster:
2013 - New Waterslide - Rumor - (12/3/12) According to several sources, Cedar Fair has filed to Trademark the name “Mamba” for a new attraction with the Canadian government. Cedar Fair has previously used the name Mamba for the Hypercoaster at Worlds of Fun several years ago, and they are not generally known for reusing a major coasters name at one park, on another coaster at another park, unlike Six Flags has been known to do. However, we have seen Cedar Fair use the same name on a non-coaster ride at a sister park instead. For example, the Dominator name used at Kings Dominion, was first used on the S&S Tower ride at Dorney Park a number of years prior. I’m just guessing at this point, but perhaps we may see Mamba used at Canada’s Wonderland for a flat ride, or maybe even the rumored waterslide, but a coaster is unlikely.

BigAl said:
Screamscape is suggesting that a name that Cedar Fair has filed for trademark could be for a new hyper coaster:
2013 - New Waterslide - Rumor - (12/3/12) According to several sources, Cedar Fair has filed to Trademark the name “Mamba” for a new attraction with the Canadian government. Cedar Fair has previously used the name Mamba for the Hypercoaster at Worlds of Fun several years ago, and they are not generally known for reusing a major coasters name at one park, on another coaster at another park, unlike Six Flags has been known to do. However, we have seen Cedar Fair use the same name on a non-coaster ride at a sister park instead. For example, the Dominator name used at Kings Dominion, was first used on the S&S Tower ride at Dorney Park a number of years prior. I’m just guessing at this point, but perhaps we may see Mamba used at Canada’s Wonderland for a flat ride, or maybe even the rumored waterslide, but a coaster is unlikely.

No Canada's Wonderland, you do not need another one. Two is more than enough. Let someone else have one and build a different kind of coaster.

I wonder if CW will see a large ride investment in a while. It often tends to be the case with these large US park chains that they'll put a huge amount of money into a park that's been stagnating and then leave it for years until the next time around. We saw a similar thing with SFGAd. It looked like Six Flags wanted an East coast Magic Mountain with the addition of Kingda Ka and El Toro. But since then, the most exciting thing they've got is a hand-me-down from Kentucky Kingdom.

I'm not even sure if any more headline rides are needed at CW at the moment. It's pretty much the leading park in Canada right now and in its area, it has virtually no competition. However, I thought the same thing after they built Behemoth so who knows what they might do?

Am I reading the article wrong? What I got from it was that Mamba is the name of a Hyper Coaster at Worlds of Fun, however Cedar Fair never use a name multiple times for one type of ride, unlike Six Flags who name every B&M invert they own Batman ;)

So as far as I can see, Mamba is already a hyper coaster, thus this use of Mamba will perhaps be for a flat-ride as opposed to a coaster?

Sammy said:
Am I reading the article wrong? What I got from it was that Mamba is the name of a Hyper Coaster at Worlds of Fun, however Cedar Fair never use a name multiple times for one type of ride, unlike Six Flags who name every B&M invert they own Batman ;)

So as far as I can see, Mamba is already a hyper coaster, thus this use of Mamba will perhaps be for a flat-ride as opposed to a coaster?

That's how I read it too! There's no way that Canada's Wonderland would get a third hyper coaster, it would just make no sense whatsoever.

Sammy said:

You're probably right there. Another hyper would be a bit daft. :p
They already have...

• a Premier family launch coaster
  • a Vekoma Boomerang
  • a B&M hyper
  • a B&M Giga
  • an old Arrow looper
  • a Vekoma SLC
  • a Mack Wild Mouse
  • a fairly old Junior woodie
  • two fairly old wooden coasters
  • a Vekoma family suspended coaster
  • the stand up Togo which they may be removing soon
  • a tiny kiddie coaster
  • a Mack Mine Train like the one at TChessie and Thorpe
  • and an Arrow Suspended Swinging coaster

If this isn't a flat, dark ride (doesn't sound like the name for one) or some sort of water ride (name doesn't suggest that either), maybe this could be an Intamin coaster? They don't have any at the moment. Their Inverted Impulse coasters look like they could be easily themed to a fearsome snake. :p

Blatantly what they need instead of another hyper is a beautifully themed new Vekoma Mine Train as a headline family coaster, to replace that crappy Mack Blauer Enzian they've got. :)

Sam said:
Blatantly what they need instead of another hyper is a beautifully themed new Vekoma Mine Train as a headline family coaster, to replace that crappy Mack Blauer Enzian they've got. :)

I'm not sure Cedar Fair and beautifully themed go well together! Certainly not if Kings Dominion is anything to go by! ;)

A new wooden coaster wouldn't go amiss either, by the looks of the three they already have.

After examining the park map there are many other spots to place a new coaster with out taking out the coaster. First they can take out the go karts and place a ride there. If they do end up taking out the Togo ride, there is some room to place a Strata coaster! :D if the strata does end up happening it will attract many guests taking away attention from Cedar Point what cedar fair does not want. So there are many possibilitys.

Canadia's Wonderland is building a new dark ride for 2014:

551095_10151858753103566_277462266_n.jpg

Screamscape has the goods...

As rumored… Canada’s Wonderland will build a brand new innovative dark ride INSIDE the park’s mountain for 2014. It will be called “Wonder Mountain’s Guardian”
For more than 30 years, a familiar darkness has surrounded Wonder Mountain at Canada’s Wonderland. Guests and employees alike have suspected a dark mythical presence hidden within this iconic landmark. In May 2014 the park will throw speculation about these myths aside and blast into Wonder Mountain to unveil a thrilling new interactive 4-D dark ride,Wonder Mountain’s Guardian.
“We felt the timing was right to enter the massive caverns of Wonder Mountain and provide our guests with a new dimension of thrills.” said Norm Pirtovshek, General Manager, Canada’s Wonderland. “Thrill seekers from all generations will be amazed by the combination of unique ride thrills and immersive 4-D interactive action as they compete for ride supremacy.”
Wonder Mountain’s Guardian begins with a perilous climb up the side of Wonder Mountain then plummets into its core traveling through five different layers of this dimensional world. Riders will encounter mythical creatures as they navigate 1,000 feet of coaster track through a desolate forest, underground lake and Draconian City. The quest culminates as riders enter the dragon’s lair for the ultimate battle with a heart stopping finale that will shock thrill seekers of all ages.
Montreal based TRIOTECH, a leading manufacturer of multisensory attractions for the amusement industry, has developed the ground breaking technology for Wonder Mountain’s Guardian. This next generation ride will allow guests to experience stunning 3D effects overlaid with 4-D elements: simulating wind, movement and more. Real time graphics and the fastest most accurate targeting system will be installed to create an ultra-immersive interactive experience.
“This new ride at Canada’s Wonderland will be a one of a kind, never seen before attraction.” said Ernest Yale, President and CEO of TRIOTECH. “It will bring the best elements of the physical, virtual and multi-sensory world. All this combined in a fully immersive and interactive experience."

1209123_427659967345113_9066005_n.jpg