• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Canada's Wonderland: General Discussion

Another photo, turns out the drop isn't as steep as first thought:

10155797_691008204278951_7533011524335603879_n.jpg

:)

It is yeah but it was thought that there was a steep drop straight after it turned right at the top of the lift. It appears that it is more of a gradual drop but it does apparently still go down to ground level.

Ah, I see what you mean.

Am I being blind, or is this new coaster not listed on RCDB yet? Also, does anyone know if the opening date has been announced?

DiogoJ42 said:
Hmm, well this may be a little off topic, but at a guess I would say Asterix? Geography was never my strong point, but I'm sure Toronto is nowhere near as far north as you'd think it is.

Yeah, people always think of Canada's really far north when in reality, most of the inhabited areas are far south of our own latitude. Anyway, back on topic! ;)

It may not be that far north, but the town our friends live in, where we will be spending a week, hit -67'C a couple of months ago! :p

And no, that's not a typo. Sixty ... seven ... degrees ... below ... freezing! Thankfully we are assured that it won't be anywhere near that cold in October.

DiogoJ42 said:
It may not be that far north, but the town our friends live in, where we will be spending a week, hit -67'C a couple of months ago! :p

And no, that's not a typo. Sixty ... seven ... degrees ... below ... freezing! Thankfully we are assured that it won't be anywhere near that cold in October.

I think that may be slightly out, given that Canada's coldest ever recorded temperature was -63°C over 60 years ago :p

Here is a new testing video of Wonder Mountain's Guardian:

http://youtu.be/E2QcmVnYSjs

Really interested to see the finished product. It sounds like the finale is some kind of secret element, maybe a free fall drop of some sorts?

Interesting looking trains on this. It almost looks like they should spin.

What is it with Cedar Fair parks and sticking pig ugly, OTT support structures on otherwise rather nice mountains?! :p

I have to say this I perhaps one of the strangest looking new rides we've seen outside of Asia for some time! Those trans are incredibly unusual. Like Diogo has said, they look almost like MACK spinner trains without the, well, spinning.

I think the trains do spin, controlled spinning though, as you have to face the various screens inside the mountain and I read somewhere that they will spin to allow this.

Was looking through Park World today and they has a bit on this... It seems so bizarre. Part coaster, part 4D, part dark ride shooter... Such a weird and random combination!

They also hint at a finale that will 'shock' even the most hardy thrill seekers... The word shock or related words were used a handful of times in the article, makes me wonder if they will actually physically give people a small electric shock?!

Wonder Mountain's Guardian certainly *looks* interesting but by all reviews it's just OK! Most people are saying it's a ride once per day sort of deal and isn't really worth the queue. Plus the coaster section is just the drop we've seen before, although it does travel through the 4D scenes under gravity.

The finale looks cool from the dodgy, out of focus POV on Youtube, it fits with the scene being played at the time.
The finale is
a vertical drop like Thirteen's.

On the bright side, Canada's Wonderland have said that the entire story can be changed and will be changed at Halloween and refreshed every few years!

Here's an interesting bit of trivia I spotted the other day,

Just like Carowind now in 2011 Canada's Wonderland shocked everyone by following up there 2008 B&M Hyper (Behemoth) with a B&M Giga coaster (Leviathan). One coaster supposedly trumping the last. But as Diogo has since shown this is not the case and the coasters ride very differently.
However the clue was always in the name. Both Behemoth and Leviathan appear together In Hebrew mythology. Behemoth the powerful land monster (perhaps symbolised by the heavy air-time and its dominant position against a lake) and Leviathan the sea beast (the faster and more graceful of both rides).

Just goes to show that a fair bit of thought went into naming these rides.

There is a third beast, Ziz, the air-monster, thought to be a Griffon. I wonder if we'll ever see this third beast appear ;)
(although the name will probably be changed to something more striking).

Having two B&M mega coasters in the same park does seem like an odd choice, but aside from differences in the ride experience, I think there are a couple of other things to take into account:

1) They are at opposite ends of the park, so it’s unlikely that you’d ride one straight after riding the other.

2) They have insane throughputs. Each coaster runs three trains with 9 rows of 4. Each train takes 36 riders, and by the time you’ve done a circuit, 108 people have been on the ride. I think the theoretical throughput is 1,600 an hour, and although I doubt the actual throughput’s that high, it can’t be far off. These B&M mega coasters do have epic throughputs. There’s no waiting for seats to tip back or floors to drop. There’s not belts to do up (for some reason some B&M mega coasters have had seatbelts retrospectively fitted and I can imagine this must be quite a hindrance on the throughputs). You sit down, pull down a bar, and you’re ready to go. It’s hard to think of other coasters that achieve this level of throughput without either having multiple tracks or duel stations side by side. There are a few. I think the B&M dive machines achieve this. The 30 seater trains like Sheikra and Griffin probably surpass it. But very few.

Throughputs are important at any park, but Canada’s Wonderland gets more visitors than any other regional park in North America. It gets more visitors than Cedar Point, Great Adventure, Great America… and although it has a lot of roller coasters, things like a wild mouse and a boomerang aren’t exactly people movers. Considering that visitor numbers probably go above 60,000 on a peak day (Canada’s Wonderland has a more compressed season than most British or European parks) they needed something that can really shift the crowds. That last statistic is based on what I was told at guest services, and may not be entirely accurate.

Incidentally, I’ve always felt it was a massive shame that Thorpe Park didn’t build a B&M junior hyper coaster instead of Stealth. Imagine if Thorpe Park had a roller coaster that could move the queues as fast as that. I know one British park did work on plans for a B&M hyper coaster, but that’s a different story.

A B&M "speed hyper" would be perfect for Thorpe. Now please tell us more about what UK park had plans for one? :)

Incidentally, I’ve always felt it was a massive shame that Thorpe Park didn’t build a B&M junior hyper coaster instead of Stealth. Imagine if Thorpe Park had a roller coaster that could move the queues as fast as that. I know one British park did work on plans for a B&M hyper coaster, but that’s a different story.

Yes imagine.

Imagine what they'd do if they had a fantastic B&M inverter that they decided to run on one train, take minutes for each dispatch, flog fast track on the gate, and try and send it out without restraints even DOWN.

THORPE operations RUIN great through put coasters. You could have a coaster with a 3000 pph through put and it would still have an hour queue at THORPE on a quiet day.

They have enough coasters that can queue munch, N:I and The Swarm. Saw isn't too bad. Stealth's OK considering, and obviously Colossus has it's issues.

Now Towers on the other hand? On the whole have great teams and a good approach to through put, not perfect, but it's decent to be fair, that's a park that WOULD make use of that monster capacity.

THORPE though? No. Be an absolute waste on them.