• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

CBeebies Land

The whole area is pretty well finished, looks very good now and I imagine will be massively popular with kids. The question is how good will it look in 2, 3 years?

Also, the Sensory Garden was quite possibly one of the most pitiful things I've ever seen. Some wooden decking, TV screens, funhouse mirrors and a tiny shed? It was quite funny. Still, seemed to be the only downside to what seems to be a positive development.

Alastair said:
Also, the Sensory Garden was quite possibly one of the most pitiful things I've ever seen. Some wooden decking, TV screens, funhouse mirrors and a tiny shed? It was quite funny. Still, seemed to be the only downside to what seems to be a positive development.

Plus a variety of plants and flowers chosen for their different scents, textures and sounds, as well as drums and objects to make sound... It's a GARDEN. It's not trying to be a linear themed experience, it's trying to be a garden, which it is.

It doesn't surprise me that the geeks don't get it as it's the most distantly removed attraction from traditional theme park fare, but it actually makes quite a pleasant area to spend time in. If it hadn't been labeled as an attraction no one would care, trouble is it needs to be advertised as such as it provides a specific role.

Num tums to me is the weakest attraction in CBeebies.

Dave said:
Alastair said:

Plus a variety of plants and flowers chosen for their different scents, textures and sounds, as well as drums and objects to make sound... It's a GARDEN. It's not trying to be a linear themed experience, it's trying to be a garden, which it is.

It doesn't surprise me that the geeks don't get it as it's the most distantly removed attraction from traditional theme park fare, but it actually makes quite a pleasant area to spend time in. If it hadn't been labeled as an attraction no one would care, trouble is it needs to be advertised as such as it provides a specific role.

I agree, the fact that it's labelled on the map and on signs implies that it is something at least reasonably notable. As it is, it's like labelling the Sub-Terra queueline as an attraction.

Being primarily a theme park geek doesn't stop me from being incredibly interested in other things though. It isn't a proper sensory garden, that's obvious to 'get'. Try Trentham down the road for a real one, as I wonder if those who developed the idea actually know what makes an effective sensory garden, to be brutally honest.

The animatronics are just as twitchy and poor as those utilised in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory which, last time I checked, is almost universally detested. The rest of ItNG is as sparse as Riverbank.

I'm not going to be attacked once more for having a differing opinion. I'm 50/50 on the area, not dead against it. There are some nice aspects, but I won't sugar coat my post just to please anyone who won't post anything other than "it was all amazing, end of". Am I not entitled to post a differing opinion without being constantly informed of how wrong I am? Experiences like this are subjective. I sometimes wonder if people ever acknowledge the positive things I post?

I remain adamant that the money for this project was spread too thinly on trying to retheme too large an area, and I'm not bothered if others don't see that.

I think the new area is a massive improvement on what we had previously.

The main talking point is the Sensory Garden, and I think that once the plants have had more time to develop, and it is a lot nicer day, it will be a lot better. The rain certainly does not help, but I think little kids will love it.

There were a few teething issues with some things, which I want to say is understandable considering its a new attraction, but the fact it has opened so late in the year, makes me think that they have had plenty of time to get these issues sorted out.

Overall, I had a really good time with ARB, who enjoyed it :)

Ian

Cbeebies land is a good change, and improves the offering at ATR.

The Big Fun area is superb.

More rides will be essential however in the near future.

Alastair said:
I agree, the fact that it's labelled on the map and on signs implies that it is something at least reasonably notable. As it is, it's like labelling the Sub-Terra queueline as an attraction.
Well it is an attraction, and something that'd be considered quite an important one for children with autism and learning difficulties.

It's a big step in the right direction for a theme park to be doing something like this, and it'll be hugely appreciated by these families. Those who don't "get" the attraction more than likely haven't had experience with these children.

Saying that, it'll definitely get better with age in my opinion. Plus it'll smell gorgeous come height of summer.

Jared said:
Loving all the fanboyism in this topic... ;)

Ohh Jarad don't troll, being positive about something is not fanboyism, this forum is 90% critical of Alton Towers, it's the least fanboyish fan site i know. Trying to wind people up for liking something is not constructive or particularly interesting.

BigAl said:
Being primarily a theme park geek doesn't stop me from being incredibly interested in other things though. It isn't a proper sensory garden, that's obvious to 'get'. Try Trentham down the road for a real one, as I wonder if those who developed the idea actually know what makes an effective sensory garden, to be brutally honest.

Tentham is not a sensory garden aimed at children with disabilities, its a barefoot walk.

BigAl said:
The animatronics are just as twitchy and poor as those utilised in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory which, last time I checked, is almost universally detested. The rest of ItNG is as sparse as Riverbank.

Charlie gets mostly critised for its lack or thing to look at rather than the for the animation that is in the ride. It also gets knocked for its 6 foot high crappy backgrounds and the tedious speed the boats move at. When the Squirrels where added for example people quite liked them.

BigAl said:
I'm not going to be attacked once more for having a differing opinion. I'm 50/50 on the area, not dead against it. There are some nice aspects, but I won't sugar coat my post just to please anyone who won't post anything other than "it was all amazing, end of". Am I not entitled to post a differing opinion without being constantly informed of how wrong I am? Experiences like this are subjective. I sometimes wonder if people ever acknowledge the positive things I post?

Who said you where not entitled to have an opinion or post it? But this is a discussion forum, your opinion is not protected from being disagreed with. Why should yours have a greater level of protection from being pulled apart by someone as anyone else's including mine.

There is never on any subject in the world one universal opinion.

I think the new area looks good, really impressed with the towers nerd coverage yesterday.

Im sure the little kids will lap it up.

CBeebies Land is absolutely fantastic! In my opinion it is the best and most complete addition that Merlin have made to any of their parks.

I was very sceptical about getting rid of the farm when we first found out but this is a huge improvement. Parts of the area look completely different to before. There is some lovely detail and much of it is to a good quality.

I love the Big Fun Show Time area, it just feels really nice in there and there is always something going on. The new toilets are also great! :p

Postman Pat clearly looks like the best attraction and I look forward to riding in sometime when the park is quiet. I did get to ride In the Night Garden though and it is really quite nice. Apparently there are a few teething problems with it and it's not quite how they hoped (they are working on that though) however I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. The on ride audio makes it engaging and I'm sure the kids will absolutely love it. The biggest surprise for me though was Mr Bloom's Allotment; it's hard to really describe what it was like but as a show/attraction combo it worked extremely well and with the high quality theming it looks lovely.

Overall I'm extremely impressed. It sounds like the BBC are very happy as well which is something as they've apparently been very hard to please ensuring that everything is up to standard and how they want it. I think the BBC factor is a big reason for the quality of this area.

Well done Alton Towers!

:)

Judging from pictures (cannot see the real thing for a while sadly), some parts of the area look great, although other areas look poorly executed. I don't think half of the masses of vinyls and 2D laminated signs can be justified as a 'theme'. Lola just about gets away with it (although the reports of the graphics being pixelated doesn't sound good).

Even though I have not yet seen the area in the flesh I think I would agree with BigAl's comments. It seems to be another Merlin project where half of it is well executed and the other half lacks a lot.

I do think this is the best themed area on park though, in terms of feeling 'complete'. Although it does lack a lot for me. Kids will enjoy it though so I guess that's the main thing at the end of the day!

I was impressed by the sheer number of staff in the area, especially the ents staff on stilts and making balloon animals for children. Hopefully this won't just be for the opening day!

I wasn't impressed by the sensory garden, as an attraction for autistic children I just felt it was rather lacking. Maybe a small water feature or just something to add a bit more life. Some autistic people I know also can't stand the smell or touch of wood, so hopefully this isn't common due the amount of wood in the sensory path.

However most of the area seemed finished to a high standard and it is lovely to see guests back in the area. Big Fun Show Time area will be lovely in summer and the whole area has been well thought out with child sized sinks and hand driers, plenty of buggy parking and healthy options n the cafe. Mr Bloom's Allotment was the stand out attraction for me - a bit magical and involving guest participation which the children seemed to love. The plants and herbs in the queueline were fantastic too, really made me smile to see children stopping to smell and touch all of the different plants.

Jared said:

If only the decaying corpse of a park that is Chessington had got anything this good for the youngest age group since the fall of the Berlin Wall. :)

Sam said:
Jared said:

If only the decaying corpse of a park that is Chessington had got anything this good for the youngest age group since the fall of the Berlin Wall. :)
Great shout from the rotting disgrace of merlins company

A few people are waxing Lyrical about Mr Blooms so here are a few pics.

10371583_688175757919538_8568341418791782642_n.jpg

10345570_688175801252867_7668976820398175315_n.jpg

10384219_688175857919528_5536419409108458873_n.jpg

10372566_688175907919523_6840286475468109427_n.jpg

10418935_688175947919519_4008413526006193345_n.jpg

1525672_688175981252849_6073272659826069945_n.jpg

10415590_688175997919514_2951019745142053527_n.jpg

^ It's Mr Bloom rather than Mr Tumbles :p

One of the several elements of CBeebies Land I unfortunately didn't get to experience other than have a peak over into the queue line yesterday. It does look significantly better than I anticipated during the construction phase of the area, and by the sounds of it, the attraction is really going down as a treat with the kids.