• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

CBeebies Land

How incredibly ironic that they're going back to the free virtual queue system. Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't towers the world's first theme park to offer free timed fastrack/virtual queue, back in the day?

I don't see why they can't bring this system back for all the major rides to be honest. They can keep paid Fastrack for people who want it now, and offer the free timed system for people willing to wait. Both can work together equally well, they keep the revenues up while increasing guest satisfaction.

I'm not sure if AT were worlds first, I expect Disney's FastPass was, but ATs Virtual Queue would have been UKs first.

Thorpe are currently trailling reserve'n'ride where you can get a return time, but another forum says its been chaotic as they are still operating the standby and paid fasttrack as well, three queues all at once doesn't work!

The way to do it would be either like In the Night Garden where there is only timed ticketing, no standby. Or like Q-Bot where the standard level is a return time or join the standby queue, then you can pay extra to get a shorter return time but still enter through the same line as the other Q-Bot returnees.

Of course the old Virtual Queue was basically the same as Disney's FastPass, where you got a return time and after a fixed number of people had each window it moves to the next timing. issues was at AT they had so few on each window all the return times would go in the first hour of the morning. Disney of course are moving to a RFID smartband/card based system where you can reserve three rides up to 60 days in advance now!

Of course the old Virtual Queue was basically the same as Disney's FastPass, where you got a return time and after a fixed number of people had each window it moves to the next timing. issues was at AT they had so few on each window all the return times would go in the first hour of the morning. Disney of course are moving to a RFID smartband/card based system where you can reserve three rides up to 60 days in advance now!

Perhaps on the busiest of days but I can remember going for tickets well into the afternoon sometimes. The system worked really well I thought, I used to use it all the time.

But whether paid or free there should always be a restricted amount available per hour, or per half hour. All they need to do is keep on top of the queue time displays, i.e. a 30 minute queue takes into account the amount of Fastrack/VQ's, the actual standard queue may only be 20 minutes long. This would keep things in order.

From what I heard the timed thing didn't work out too well on Monday and they ran out of timed tickets early during the day! No doubt they will probably trial it again, or alter the system.

Well that's the thing, with a ride with a small throughput (let's say 200?) coupled with an already average queue time of an hour.. this timed ticketing will obviously increase demand (cos you're not put off by the 60min wait) which'd result in tickets running out very quickly.

Think they should just concentrate on queue entertainment, and increasing throughputs (more boats, filling boats) really.

Also I would guess the number of people taking a ticket and then not riding would be quite high too. But I can't think of a better way to do it. Entertainment and throughput improvement obviously plus maybe capping the queue at 40min so people are forced to go do something else such as a show until it drops down a bit?

Thing is though there is no real need for them to cap a queue when it reaches a certain length. If people are willing to queue for the ride then they will queue for it.

They just need to accept that having rides with such dire throughputs in a very popular area is going to result in long queue even on quiet days no matter what systems they may put in place. The only real solution is more rides to absorb the queues. Although maximising throughputs on current rides would also help.

:)

Install rides with crappy throughputs.... Get long queues.

One day Merlin will eventually learn the basics of theme park operations.

To be fair, Merlin didn't actually install any of the rides (ok Postman Pat is new but it's basically the same as before)! ;)

Their mistake was not anticipating that there would be a huge demand for the rides and therefore not allocating a budget that allowed for new rides to be installed. Although they clearly didn't put too much thought into throughputs with the addition of The Smiler either. They should take a leaf out of Cedar Fair's book when it comes to new rides and throughputs.

Towers are trialing the timed ticketing on In the Night Garden (Riverbank was much easier to type :p ) again on Sunday, I can't see that ending well as no doubt the park is going to be rather busy with this lovely weather!

So for CBeebies they are happy to help out families with queue management, but for everywhere else in the parks it's considered acceptable to charge for fast track??? They've clearly realised that charging fast track for anything in the new area will majorly piss off families, but this should not be an acceptable reason for a two tiered form of fast tracking

So for CBeebies they are happy to help out families with queue management, but for everywhere else in the parks it's considered acceptable to charge for fast track??? They've clearly realised that charging fast track for anything in the new area will majorly piss off families, but this should not be an acceptable reason for a two tiered form of fast tracking

This timed ticket return thing isn't Fastrack though, it is the normal queue, just designed so that rather than spend an hour in that queue parents can take their kids on other things in the area...

Think of it more like taking a number at a walk-in centre and then having to wait for that number to be called up...

This timed ticket return thing isn't Fastrack though, it is the normal queue, just designed so that rather than spend an hour in that queue parents can take their kids on other things in the area...

Think of it more like taking a number at a walk-in centre and then having to wait for that number to be called up...
But this sort of queue (although in the trial they completely remove the stand by queue) is the same system as the original Fastrack and as Disney's free Fastpass.

But this sort of queue (although in the trial they completely remove the stand by queue) is the same system as the original Fastrack and as Disney's free Fastpass.

But as the trial is only involving one form of queue system, how is it comparable to Fastrack beyond having a time frame in which to return?

But as the trial is only involving one form of queue system, how is it comparable to Fastrack beyond having a time frame in which to return?
Because although this is the only way to queue for the ride - it is doing parents the same favour the old free system would. It's allowing them to queue virtually whilst doing other things.

I see your point that it isn't Fastrack because it is the only way to ride. But as it operates on the exact same principles of free Fastrack it allows itself to be comparable.

Err yes. Hasn't it always been Merlin's policy to piss on the people who pay them money? I think Alton adopted that policy quite well.

Truth is, they know families will complain and cause uproar. The teens and twenty somethings haven't got the backbone to cause a stir so they can be robbed of a few quid for a ride Nemmy or The Smirker.

I think it is more to do with images and complains on Parenting websites, that is driving this test of virtual queue.
Parents usually read up on attactions before going to them. Now below are the basic reviews for 3 attactions, which one would you not take your child to?

1. good themed rides for you childs age that have 20min queue
2. good themed rides for you childs age that have 60 to 90min queue
3. good themed rides for you childs age that has virtual queuing

Personally I would not go for number 2, and that is Cbeebieslands.

The huge huge difference between CBeebies Land and rides like The Smiler is that those who are are queuing are unlikely to get tired and throw a tantrum, or need the toilet and end up pissing everywhere or climbing over the others in a thrill seeker ride. It'd be far less stressful queuing 60mins with adults than 20 minutes with an under 4.

Of course, I say unlikely. Half of you lot probably will act the same in The Smiler queue ;)

Irony is if they got rid of paid Fastrack adults would complain.... They make money out of people's idiocy and out of the Merlin parks Towers system affects the main queues the least.

Still think this is a laughable attempt to put a sticking plaster on the fact their CBeebies attractions have woefully pathetic throughputs but we all saw that coming months ago....