• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Cedar Point: General Discussion

Sad news. One of my earliest enthusiast memories was being in awe at the snowy construction updates and thinking I'm gonna do whatever it takes to ride it some day.*

The sheer size of it just didn't seem possible at the time, and the fact that 20 years later it's only been matched by Kingda Ka shows just how big a boundary it pushed.

*Stupid thing was down both times I visited!

This is actually a very intriguing announcement as it does seem to be implying that the ride will be revived at some point or given some other new lease of life which would be a very exciting thing.

An LSM launch, new theme, and a new name (to put the previous one and the incident to bed) would be very welcomed I’m sure. Pity I never got to experience TTD but it would be great to see it live on in a slightly different form.

Sad news, definitely the reason myself and no doubt almost everyone else from the UK has made the pilgrimage to Sandusky the past 19 years.

Glad I got to ride it a good few times when I visited in 2012 and 2019, especially glad when they got it back open during the Coastermania ert in 2019 I ran to get on the thing for one last night time ride.

From the announcement I do hope it means they'll be overhauling the launch system etc to get it back open.

Is LSM safer and more reliable than a hydraulic launch? I'm trying to work out if this is because of the incident last year, or if that was just the final nail in the coffin after years of it being a maintenance nightmare.

Makes you wonder how much life is left in the remaining hydraulic launches.

Reactions: Tim
The hydraulic launch system is one of the most complicated and expensive things to maintain in any park. There are so
many moving parts and although they're iconic rides, surely it's just got to the point where it's not worth the hassle.

Glad I got the chance to "race for the sky", but this was inevitable. It's west coast cousin is still closed. It's operated for mere weeks in the space of two years.

It'll be interested to see how Kingda Ka fairs going forward, the new Six Flags management is seemingly not a big fan of expensive things.

Junk.

When you look at the cost of hydraulic coasters, we might still see them at the real world class parks, like Thorpe Park, but moving forward, we won't see them at places like Liseberg and Cedar Point.

"A new and reimagined experience"

Could read that as replaced or LSMd!

My money is on LSM but I wouldn't put the whole account on it.

There's definitely enough room for an LSM launch I would have thought if that's the way they go. It won't have that initial kick though which will be a shame.

There's definitely enough room for an LSM launch I would have thought if that's the way they go. It won't have that initial kick though which will be a shame.
Yeah I never got the opportunity to do it but I'll take an LSM version over scrap metal.

Can't believe I didn't go on the Xtreme Spinner when I visited in June.

As cool as that concept is the park would never go for it as the throughput would be ridiculously bad. Under the existing system they can load 2 trains at once and roll them both onto the launch track at the same time so once the first train has safely launched the 2nd train moves into launch position.

TTD theoretical throughput was only about 1000/hr anyway, presumably due to the long launch reset time. A magnetic launch would be ready to go straight away as soon as the previous train cleared the top hat which combined with the bigger train probably wouldn't result in significantly lower capacity.

Very much doubt it's actually a viable concept though.

Just realised the worst thing with the reimagining is they'll replace Ready To Go by Republica for a new theme.

Interesting, wouldn’t be at all surprising if Cedar Fair and Intamin have fallen out over TTD.

Also interesting to see that work has already started and construction fences are up. Are we perhaps looking at a 2024 re-launch (if you’ll pardon the pun) of Top Thrill?