• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Cedar Point: General Discussion

Pretty sure Cedar Fair have had a distrust of Intamin and haven't ordered a new ride from them across the chain since the Shoot The Rapids incident nearly a decade ago.

Everyone talks about an LSM replacement, but I wouldn't rule out a Thrust Air Launch. Its the only option that wouldn't be a downgrade. The launch on Do-Dondonpa accelerates faster than TTD already did. It could be an opportunity for Cedar Point to take back a record.

Everyone talks about an LSM replacement, but I wouldn't rule out a Thrust Air Launch. Its the only option that wouldn't be a downgrade. The launch on Do-Dondonpa accelerates faster than TTD already did. It could be an opportunity for Cedar Point to take back a record.
The only problem there would be that Intamin don’t really do air launches (I think only S&S have ever done air launches)… but if a different manufacturer is doing the modifications, then it’s certainly possible!

My only reservation would be; are air launches any more reliable than hydraulics? I was under the impression that Hypersonic XLC’s demise was due to it being unreliable, and S&S has had some issues with other rides using air launches (for instance, RingRacer took years to open, opened for only 3 or 4 days and then closed again and never reopened).

Going with S&S for an air launch would definitely be a reliability risk, and would they want that when TTD has been a headache for its entire life? Equally though it would be a more impressive launch and maybe allow them to go for a record.

I think LSMs are more likely, just seems a safer option.

Going with S&S for an air launch would definitely be a reliability risk, and would they want that when TTD has been a headache for its entire life? Equally though it would be a more impressive launch and maybe allow them to go for a record.

I think LSMs are more likely, just seems a safer option.
LSMs can be surprisingly powerful though if done right, take Hansa Park's Fluch Von Novgorod for example; 0-62mph in just 1.4 seconds! (although it is a rolling launch)

LSMs can be surprisingly powerful though if done right, take Hansa Park's Fluch Von Novgorod for example; 0-62mph in just 1.4 seconds! (although it is a rolling launch)
That shifts one small car carrying 8 people to 62mph from a rolling start (not 0mph), not a train three times the capacity at twice the speed.

Red Force gives me no hope for this.

The only problem there would be that Intamin don’t really do air launches (I think only S&S have ever done air launches)… but if a different manufacturer is doing the modifications, then it’s certainly possible!

My only reservation would be; are air launches any more reliable than hydraulics? I was under the impression that Hypersonic XLC’s demise was due to it being unreliable, and S&S has had some issues with other rides using air launches (for instance, RingRacer took years to open, opened for only 3 or 4 days and then closed again and never reopened).
This idea does assume Intamin aren't the ones re-doing the launch.

S&S have built more compressed air coasters in the last 10 years, including upgrading Do-Dondonpa. I wouldn't be surprised if they've significantly improved the system.
But true it won't be as reliable as an LSM launch. It all depends if Cedar Point just want TTD running again as a shadow of itself, or if they want it to be the headline ride again.

Retro-fitting magnets to the launch track seems fairly plausible but installing an entirely different launch system that would have associated mechanical parts seems a step too far to be likely IMO.

Magnets could be sourced from a number of people other than Intamin who nevertheless have experience working on Intamin coasters. Trying to shoe-horn an S&S launch into the existing track would be challenging to say the least.

There is a legit/fake (delete as appropriate) bill of landing (customs declaration) of a 4,000 odd KG of kit from Intermin turning up.

I’m not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere on here but Intamin posted this Vertical LSM Launch Coaster concept video last week. It promises the “World’s strongest launch”

5ff13f7ff66fa14aa773f29aa312a5ef.jpg

d9925ac3addae8c57fbce0abd2b57ead.jpg

https://youtu.be/D25V-iF9H94

I wonder if this is what they have in mind for the “reimagined” Top Thrill Dragster?

Last edited:
A more powerful LSM launch system would certainly seem to fit the bill, but I guess it depends on whether or not the rumours of them falling out with Intamin are true.

A more powerful LSM launch system would certainly seem to fit the bill, but I guess it depends on whether or not the rumours of them falling out with Intamin are true.
That was one rumor then the other was that bill of materials from Intamin hitting customs. Which naturally may be real or not.

I'd hate to see them fit that vertical LSM business to TTD. That would totally ruin the prospect of looking down the launch track at the towering structure in the distance, knowing you're about to be fired towards and up it. Unless its the actual launch tech itself, then fair game.