• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Cedar Point: General Discussion

I'll quickly knock up a speculative video about Golden Horse doing the refurb so that way it cam be rumoured they're doing it as well.
I think it's very possible that Zamperla could be doing it because, as the video I posted mentions, they recently bought an old Intamin hydraulic launch coaster (albeit smaller) and are refurbishing it (including adding LSM's) ready to sell to a park once completed.

While I am in shock and panic mode as much as the next over this.

There is a difference between pure engineering work, doing the the do - as it were. And original design engineering. I am sure they are more than capable of integrating somebody else's LSM tech onto some existing track.

Senzafiato perhaps. That would be a pretty straightforward conversion I would assume.
That's correct! Basically (for those who can't be bothered to watch the short video), Playland Amusement Park in Vancouver announced yesterday that they will be receiving Canada's fastest launching roller coaster in 2024, from Zamperla. It'll actually be a reconditioned Senzafiato from Miragica, fitted with LSMs.

For clarity, TPoseOnTantrum from CoasterForce has contacts in Cedar Fair’s college management program, managed to get briefed on the plans, and confirmed that it is not Zamperla. Here’s what they said:
Zamperla is not involved in Top Thrill Dragster. They are getting cozy with Cedar Fair, yes, but not that cozy. Allow me to be blunt.

The apparent Senzafiato overhaul is happening under a very specific and unique set of circumstances. It's a smaller coaster closer to Zamperla that they were able to scoop up as a side project and sell off at a low price.

The other week, through some personal contacts in Cedar Fair's college management program, I was formally briefed on what's happening to the attraction once known as Top Thrill Dragster. I have not been permitted to discuss details or answer questions, with one exception. That being, Intamin is the manufacturer working on the project. And this is fundamentally more than a simple ride overhaul.

The notion that Zamperla would even be involved in a project like Top Thrill Dragster is stupid. It's also insulting just how easily people can eat up this kind of misinformation. Step back for a moment and think it through again. We've seen ridiculous things happen in the industry, and this wouldn't be one of them.
They say that Intamin is the sole manufacturer involved, and that this will “be fundamentally more than a simple ride overhaul”… take from that what you will.

Take that with as much salt from you like, but this member has been reliable for info in the past, for what it’s worth.

I did think that Zamperla was a slightly odd choice for a TTD refurb… I have nothing against Zamperla, but a 400ft, 120mph coaster isn’t really in their wheelhouse at all. Even Senzafiato is a vastly different ballgame to TTD; I know they’re both hydraulic launch coasters, but Senzafiato is a very small-scale ride compared to TTD. It would be like comparing the B&M Family Inverted Coaster to Alpengeist. Or comparing the B&M Family Wing Coaster being built in Germany to GateKeeper. Even though they technically share the same/similar ride hardware, the scale and complexity is vastly different.

Source: https://coasterforce.com/forums/threads/ttd-closed-to-be-reimagined.44980/page-12#post-1144758

Last edited:
Whilst skeptical it still seems odd that Intamin have removed TTD from their website when it still lists other defunct attractions like Wicked Twister.

Perhaps Zamperla are trying to diversify their offerings starting with the TTD refurb similar to how Mack Rides basically reinvented themselves when they built Blue Fire?

Did anyone who is actually in the know rule it out or in ? Quite an interesting line in the Zamperla press release ...

"The Lightning vehicle also has different road wheels, made to be low maintenance and withstand high acceleration: they will soon be seen on some of the world’s fastest attractions!"

Nothing has been confirmed by Cedar Point, Zamperla, or Intamin. Everything is conjecture and rumours so far.

I would question though with the much higher seating position on those Lightning trains could cause a clearance issue with the downwards spiral after the top hat.

How did it take 15 years to find the famed heartline roll?

Here is the dropped pin of the location if anyone wants to go pick it up

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk