• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Cedar Point: General Discussion

Noticeably whilst they've carefully removed the track sections and left the supports in place the area were the trains are kept when not in service has been completely removed and dug out.

In fairness the supports look no closer than say Thireteens supports in the forest.

I suspect that it is more to do with the fact the track at those points on TTD, as with Thirteens track, has no spine in those locations. So the lack of a major structural element has to be made up with closer spacing of supports.

Zamperla TTD rumours are still flying around:

TL/DW:

4 lightning trains with 12 seats each.
Dual-loading likely to be retained but no separate offload (TBH the dual onload & dual offload setup always seemed overkill to me anyway given the minimum dispatch interval for a pair of trains was 2 minutes)
Lots of speculation about possible changes to the block system to minimise the reduction in capacity resulting from smaller trains

With Zamperla's conversion of Senazafiato confirmed to be happening a similar retrofit of TTD doesn't seem completely unfeasible and I'd rather that than lose the ride altogether. If it does go ahead I still think the launch itself will end up being a pretty noticeable downgrade.

This is weird. I get the need. For a refurb but I don't understand why. This type of ride has seen its time, is a one trick pony and must be incredibly high cost wise to run.

Why not use the space for a new attraction, they are effectively rebuilding anyway?

Zamperla TTD rumours are still flying around:

TL/DW:

4 lightning trains with 12 seats each.
Dual-loading likely to be retained but no separate offload (TBH the dual onload & dual offload setup always seemed overkill to me anyway given the minimum dispatch interval for a pair of trains was 2 minutes)
Lots of speculation about possible changes to the block system to minimise the reduction in capacity resulting from smaller trains

With Zamperla's conversion of Senazafiato confirmed to be happening a similar retrofit of TTD doesn't seem completely unfeasible and I'd rather that than lose the ride altogether. If it does go ahead I still think the launch itself will end up being a pretty noticeable downgrade.

I just can't get over what an odd choice Zamperla is, but then I think what other manufactures could they get to do this? I mean it seems Cedar Fair don't want to work with Intamin so it leaves them with limited options.

I just can't get over what an odd choice Zamperla is, but then I think what other manufactures could they get to do this? I mean it seems Cedar Fair don't want to work with Intamin so it leaves them with limited options.
Cedar Fair haven't made any secret of their disdain for Intamin, they have gone from using them perhaps more than any other supplier to not at all.

They've always been pretty pragmatic when it comes to suppliers, using a variety - if Zamperla have the product, why not, I guess. The proof of the pudding shall be in the eating, I guess.

This is weird. I get the need. For a refurb but I don't understand why. This type of ride has seen its time, is a one trick pony and must be incredibly high cost wise to run.

Why not use the space for a new attraction, they are effectively rebuilding anyway?
I think in this case, the Dragster tower is a real icon of the park (despite some serious competition). Ripping it out would almost certainly have been considered but you can't help but wonder if the conclusion was that if a refurb retains all the good things about the ride and removes much of the maintenance complexity, why not ..

It's an iconic ride for the park, so they probably want to keep it as long as possible. Same as Nemesis and The Big One.

Converting the rides launch mechanism and the new trains should make it cheaper to operate and maintain. As well as hopefully becoming more reliable for guests.

They'll also have a ride to advertise as 'new' for 2024 which they already know will draw publicity and guests but will also cost significantly less than building say a new B+M.

I guess 2024 is more likely but if the tower is remaining as is, you'd think that it could return in 2023.

First of all I am glad that they are keeping it, TTD is such an iconic coaster. Zamperla, which is looking more and more likely, does seem to be an interesting choice. The launch will obviously be a downgrade, but I am sure it will still be a spectacular experience.

I mean, while seeming like an odd choice. Every manufacturer has to start somewhere I guess.

Zamperlas manufacturing and engineering is quite good too, just on a small scale though. Time will tell I guess.

If it is Zamperla, they will be all to well and aware that if they manage to pull this off properly, there will be potentially a lot of business coming their way, to convert alot more hydraulic launches around the world. The far lower maintanence costs and man power will be a very attractive prospect for alot of parks I would imagine. If anyone can pull this off, it would be a company like Zamperla.

Last edited:
Given all the work that has already taken place, the fact it isn't re-opening until next year this is most likely a lot more than just replacing the launch with an LSM launch.