Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Discussion in 'European Parks and Attractions' started by Anonymous, 12th Jun 2012.

1. ringo

ringo TowersStreet Member

A random over at TPM posted this gem

https://forum.maniahub.com/topic/11982-new-for-2021-drop-tower/?do=findComment&comment=271982

Seem so strange Chessington themselves aren’t teasing this exciting development...

Mattgwise likes this.
  2. John

John TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Disneyesque? Not a chance!

MaxPower, MattyH, Jonathan and 4 others like this.
  3. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

Considering that Pearson publishing owned the park from 1948 and Tussauds (a subsidery of Pearson) took over the park in 1978, appointing John Wardley in 1984 to turn it into the Disney-esque theme park, whoever wrote this doesn't seem to realise it was Tussauds that created the original attraction The Fifth Dimension, then Terror Tomb, then Forbiddon tomb.

Swarm Chris likes this.
  4. Prof Burp

Prof Burp TowersStreet Member

@John please don't put Chessington World Of Adventures down the toilet pan. I think that Chessy is exactly how Disneyland would be without the following,smell pods around the park, Disney characters,parades,fireworks and the Sprikle of Disney Magic that no other Theme Park could come close to recreating. Ever since my first visit to Chessey back in October 2007 I have nicknamed it Disney in England!!!

5. Islander

Islander TowersStreet Member

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Prof Burp

@jon81uk I thought that Tussads destroyed Chessington World Of Adventures. I thought that it was the Pearson Group who employed John Wardley who in turn created the Chessington World Of Adventures greats like Tomb Blaster (Forbidden Tomb),Professor Burp's Bubbleworks,Runaway Train,Circus World and of course the legendary Vampire Rollercoaster that is still much loved today. I truly thought that Tussads were the company who destroyed Professor Burp's Bubbleworks by turning it into a living Imperial Leather advert!!

7. Ian

Ian TS Site Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Monster, Walygator
    If by Disney-esque we are benchmarking against Superstar Limo... I guess the answer is still no.

Ben, Rick, MaxPower and 6 others like this.
  8. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

I mean there could be some truth in Tomb Blaster getting some attention over the closed season, they have tinkered with it nearly every year for the past 5 years.

Since the new ride for 2021 will be next door they might have some budget to make improvements to TB and to freshen up Forbidden Kingdom in general.

But returning Abdab (who was removed due to reasons that still stand today) and bringing in a Disney style revamp? Slightly far fetched!

Swarm Chris and jon81uk like this.
  9. Ian

Favourite Ride:
    Monster, Walygator
    For anyone who wants to know more about the inception of Chessington as “World of Adventures” and it’s attractions I recommend watching Themes, Dreams and Scream Machines.

While the documentary mainly looks at The Haunted House and Runaway Mine Train construction John Wardley talks at great length about the transformations of both Towers, Chessington and the Tussauds Group in general as well as the development and conception of many of the classic rides.

32 minutes is when the Chessington discussion really starts.

10. jon81uk

Pearson owned Tussauds until 1999 when it was sold to Charterhouse development, then Dubai Investment in 2005, and now Merlin Entertainments.

Most of the good stuff across all Tussauds parks was in the years up to the mid-2000s so in the Pearson-ownership and into the Charterhouse time. The purchase of Thorpe Park in 1998 and the creation of the Tussauds annual pass in the following years also changed a lot about how the group was run I think.
    Imperial Leather Bubbleworks was 2006, so just as the group passed from Charterhouse Investments to Dubai Investments. But yes much of the really good stuff was in the 80s/90s with John Wardley, when Tussauds was part of Pearson.

11. Benzin

Benzin TowersStreet Member

DIC ruined all the parks, Chessie in particular suffered greatly.

Tomb Blaster also got a "refresh" last year didn't it? And the year before. And before that. Etc.

12. OilyWater

OilyWater TowersStreet Member

None of this has anything to do with Tomb Blaster in reality or an accurate depiction of the park’s history so I wouldnt take it to mean anything.

Things are way more complicated than ‘Tussauds bad’ or ‘Tussauds good’ or that an old ride can be ‘brought back’ because some guy on Twitter said so

Last edited: 30th Nov 2020
    MattyH, Swarm Chris and jon81uk like this.
  13. Ian

Favourite Ride:
    Monster, Walygator
    And herein lies the frustration. If you added together all of the money that’s been spent on these odds and sods that have been done you’d probably have a bit of a budget for a more significant update and overhaul. There seems to be a total lack of longer term vision (no doubt due to it being easier to secure money for smaller maintenance-type projects than a proper rework).

It’s not something that’s unique to Tomb Blaster.

Swarm Chris, Islander, Alsty and 2 others like this.
  14. jon81uk

This is also why anyone who makes the "Merlin has ruined the parks" argument annoys me. Its not that simple.

15. Prof Burp

@AT86 like you I realistically think that the return of Tomb Blaster will entail the uncovering of the Forbidden Tomb sign and the removal of the guns and targets. I hope my expectations are proven too low and a fourgh refurbishment is carried out. Considering that Chessington World Of Adventures are getting the new Drop Tower and Blue Barnacle next year (season) I doubt money will be available to subject Tomb Blaster to a complete retheme and refit.

16. OilyWater

That's not the return of Forbidden Tomb then?

Also if the guns are removed, Im sure guest enjoyment will nosedive even more because there wont be the guns to distract from the fact the ride is now so boring.

17. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

Couple of pictures from Theme Park Guide showing the replacement Pirate Ship and Croc Drop construction.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tim, MattyH, Alsty and 4 others like this.
  18. OilyWater

Ooh I like the look of the new boat, looks very nice. Not totally convinced about the huge goofy croc head sticking out of the temple, but cant judge until finished

MaxPower, ringo and AT86 like this.
  19. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

Also, just found this video which might be of interest to some. A look at some work on Vampire including details on the organist refurbishment.

Swarm Chris and Matt N like this.
  20. ringo

ringo TowersStreet Member

With all the excitement of the “richly themed Disneyesqe Forbidden Tomb” I’d forgotten all about the new ride and replacement ship.

Looks to be progressing well, it’s certainly going to be year of Chessington! :D

Chessington looking like a decent event

https://live.themeparkguide.biz/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 5th Dec 2020
    jon81uk, Swarm Chris and Matt N like this.