• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Normally I would agree with Splash Landings being one of the best examples to compare it to, but after visiting last year and seeing the state of the land it really did look miserable. I get that the theme is old temples which are meant to look mouldy and run down, and somewhere like Animal Kingdom it can be pulled off and look effective. But at Chessington this looked tired and forgotten so I think the blocks of colour have really helped bring some life into the area.

I think the only areas which are missing detail is the paint work on the columns so hopefully that can be addressed before opening but in the worst case I still think it looks like a really good job.
But when something gets refurbished we shouldn't be comparing to how it looked last year, but how it looked originally.

I admit this is not a bad job. I've seen many worse examples.

I've just looked also as I was intrigued to see the new sign. But the Chessingron buzz Facebook page has no such photo from what I can see?

Another good bit of cosmetic tarting up, hopefully it continues inside.

That this signage change accentuates the shooting element rather than comes away from it as would be requited to move towards a previous incarnation do you think we could end the incessant trolling now please?

It would appear that Chessington is installing 2 new rides in Pirate’s Cove for 2022, according to Chessington Buzz:
https://chessingtonbuzz.com/news/two-new-rides-for-2022/

The planning application was submitted today, and the two rides are:
  • A Zamperla Watermania (basically a mix of a teacups and a splash battle) that features water guns around the outside and a nautical feel, with a lighthouse tower operating console.
  • A Zamperla Rockin’ Tug, thought to be Timber Tug Boat from Thorpe Park.
  • Some of the artwork has also spawned a rumour that Pirate’s Cove is being rethemed to more of a nautical theme as opposed to a pirate theme. That would make sense given the general aesthetic of The Blue Barnacle compared to its predecessor, in my opinion.
Isn’t this interesting! What do you guys think?

It does certainly appear as if the level of investment into Chessington is stepping up somewhat, with these new rides now and Project Amazon in 2023!

Chessington have put in a planning application for two small rides (including Timber Tug Boat from Thorpe Park) to open in Pirates' Cove this year.

ches-1.png

Timber Tug Boat will be renamed Trawler Trouble and sit next to Captain's Fish and Chips. CWOA are also buying a Zamperla Watermania ride - given the name Bobbing Barrels - to take the place of the small stage in Pirates' Cove which has held the Plunderous Pirates show in the past.

ZPL-Rides-Water-Mania09.jpg

Full planning documents here: https://publicaccess.kingston.gov.u...s.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=R71PWSNH05400

They're leaving this a bit late aren't they? They got permission for 2023 last week but they've only applied for 2022 today, I know it's a smaller job but still. Did someone just forget to email the application through or something?

They're leaving this a bit late aren't they? They got permission for 2023 last week but they've only applied for 2022 today, I know it's a smaller job but still. Did someone just forget to email the application through or something?
Maybe they’re seeking a mid-season opening?

Or maybe they think the smaller scale of job will get the permission through more quickly? That would make sense; for some perspective, Peter Rabbit Hippity Hop at Towers didn’t have planning submitted until early March and opened at the beginning of the 2019 season, so I think it’s doable!

Why does Chessington need two rocking tugs round the corner from each other?
(The other being Griffin's Galleon)

Disney got 3 rides the same in the Magic Kingdom but all 3 manage to get over 30-60 mins wait times.
Thinking of going to Chessington for the 1st time in 15 years next year as I feel there been enough added to make me travel a 5 hr round trip.

Overall seems like an adequate addition to Chessington, I'm not convinced on those sort of water rides being a good year-round attraction given the UK only has 2-3 months of really warm weather.

It would appear that Chessington is installing 2 new rides in Pirate’s Cove for 2022, according to Chessington Buzz:
https://chessingtonbuzz.com/news/two-new-rides-for-2022/

The planning application was submitted today, and the two rides are:
  • A Zamperla Watermania (basically a mix of a teacups and a splash battle) that features water guns around the outside and a nautical feel, with a lighthouse tower operating console.
  • A Zamperla Rockin’ Tug, thought to be Timber Tug Boat from Thorpe Park.
  • Some of the artwork has also spawned a rumour that Pirate’s Cove is being rethemed to more of a nautical theme as opposed to a pirate theme. That would make sense given the general aesthetic of The Blue Barnacle compared to its predecessor, in my opinion.
Isn’t this interesting! What do you guys think?

It does certainly appear as if the level of investment into Chessington is stepping up somewhat, with these new rides now and Project Amazon in 2023!
@Matt N is the WaterMania a hybrid of Marauder's Mayhem at Alton Towers and Viking River Splash at Legoland Windsor? I have always wanted an additional Water Ride and Tea Cups added to Chessy. To have both of these rides in 1 is a dream for me. I hope during the Pirates Cove refurbishment Chessy create a signed portal to separate the Land from Adventure Point. @Matt N now we know the fate of Timber Tug Boat and Lumber Jump,I want to know the fate of Rocky Express more than ever!! I feel like I am doing an Old Town jigsaw,and am missing a pice with Rocky Express on.

@Matt N is the WaterMania a hybrid of Marauder's Mayhem at Alton Towers and Viking River Splash at Legoland Windsor? I have always wanted an additional Water Ride and Tea Cups added to Chessy. To have both of these rides in 1 is a dream for me. I hope during the Pirates Cove refurbishment Chessy create a signed portal to separate the Land from Adventure Point. @Matt N now we know the fate of Timber Tug Boat and Lumber Jump,I want to know the fate of Rocky Express more than ever!! I feel like I am doing an Old Town jigsaw,and am missing a pice with Rocky Express on.
I guess you could call it that, yes! But in all honesty, I’d probably liken it more to a combo of Marauder’s Mayhem and Battle Galleons.

In terms of Rocky Express, I reckon that might not return, to be honest. It’s a pretty old ride now, having opened in the late 80s or early 90s (I can’t remember when… I know Canada Creek opened in 1989, but I can’t remember if Rocky was an opening year addition or not…), and it would probably almost be more worthwhile for a park wanting that type of ride to buy a new one.

Also, the planning application states that construction will start in March 2022 and the rides will open in June 2022.

I think that now Chessy are installing Timber Tug Boat they should get rid of Griffin’s Gallon. Not only is this ride in an isolated location but it has a lower seating capacity than Timber Tug Boat. Even with the entrance portal that was added to Griffin’s Gallon it isn’t overly popular. I think the site of Griffin’s Gallon should be turfed and made into a picnic area. This secluded area would be an ideal picnic area. With the existing picnic area making way for Project Amazon a new one will be required.
Does think Chessington are likely to remove Griffin’s Gallon in favour of Timber Tug Boat? Finally does anyone agree with my proposal

I guess you could call it that, yes! But in all honesty, I’d probably liken it more to a combo of Marauder’s Mayhem and Battle Galleons.

In terms of Rocky Express, I reckon that might not return, to be honest. It’s a pretty old ride now, having opened in the late 80s or early 90s (I can’t remember when… I know Canada Creek opened in 1989, but I can’t remember if Rocky was an opening year addition or not…), and it would probably almost be more worthwhile for a park wanting that type of ride to buy a new one.

Also, the planning application states that construction will start in March 2022 and the rides will open in June 2022.
@Matt N will Chessington’s Watermania be as fast as Marauder’s Mayhem? Matt Rocky Express was actually at Thorpe Park years before Canada Creek was around. Rocky Express started off in Octopus Garden. When Canada Creek opened the ride was rethemed and relocated. Following the relocation of Rocky Express I believe Octopus Garden was also rethemed.

@Matt N will Chessington’s Watermania be as fast as Marauder’s Mayhem? Matt Rocky Express was actually at Thorpe Park years before Canada Creek was around. Rocky Express started off in Octopus Garden. When Canada Creek opened the ride was rethemed and relocated. Following the relocation of Rocky Express I believe Octopus Garden was also rethemed.
To get an idea of what I might be like here is zamperla's product page for the ride. There's a video showing it off. https://www.zamperla.com/products/watermania/
Edit: oh @John beat me too it.