• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Can anyone tell me if the new Water ride,can operate as a standard Tea Cup ride in poor weather? If the answer is yes can the speed of the ride be turned up,when the water isn’t running

Looks like there is an answer here for you already:

Drayton manor have a zamperla water mania rides in Thomasland. The ride can be run without the water features turned on, which is what they do during Winter when thomasland is open.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m really looking forward to finally experiencing Terror Tomb this season, and can’t wait to see the newly themed tunnel for Tiger Rock.

Does anyone know if the new water ride will be able to run in the winter with the water switched off?

I’m really looking forward to finally experiencing Terror Tomb this season, and can’t wait to see the newly themed tunnel for Tiger Rock.

Does anyone know if the new water ride will be able to run in the winter with the water switched off?
Why is everyone asking the same question when it's already been answered? :tearsofjoy::confused:

I was wondering in case of volcanic activity whether the ride could run with lava instead of water? Got to plan for these things.

It might not be my first choice of ride, but it's good to see some filler flats popping up across the estate.

Trawler Trouble, Bobbing Barrels, Croc Drop, River Rafts, Blue Barnacle*, Jungle Rangers... fair enough if you think I'm nitpicking (as I really like Chessington overall) but I wish they'd put a bit more creativity into naming their rides.

Anyway, can't wait for Winged Whizzer to open in the new area next year.

*I know a guest named this one but they still went with it over probably hundreds of other suggestions.

It won't be going to Alton either. I can't find it but I'm sure Thorpe did a social post mentioning that Rocky Express was "exploring retirement options", or something like that. I personally think it will be scrapped, given how old it is. Plus it would require a new platform in a new location, as the current one is a very permanent brick structure.

Edit: here it is:

unknown.png

I'd understand this if their target audience was very young children but surely they could just say it's closing and skip the nonsense

I cannot wait to ride this at Chessington when I go on Holiday later this year!! This ride looks class. I love Tea Cup Rides and Water Rides so this will be a favourite with me. I cannot believe how fast the ride is!! Note this is the full sized Water Mania wheres the one at Drayton Manor is the Kids model.

I cannot wait to ride this at Chessington when I go on Holiday later this year!! This ride looks class. I love Tea Cup Rides and Water Rides so this will be a favourite with me. I cannot believe how fast the ride is!! Note this is the full sized Water Mania wheres the one at Drayton Manor is the Kids model.

I cant tell which part is sarcastic and which you actually mean legitimate lol.

Sorry though, not to be rude to you on purpose.

Trawler Trouble, Bobbing Barrels, Croc Drop, River Rafts, Blue Barnacle*, Jungle Rangers... fair enough if you think I'm nitpicking (as I really like Chessington overall) but I wish they'd put a bit more creativity into naming their rides.

Anyway, can't wait for Winged Whizzer to open in the new area next year.

*I know a guest named this one but they still went with it over probably hundreds of other suggestions.
@ThemeParkAddict if I was in charge of naming the rides at Chessy,I would have chosen the following names. Blue Barnacle would have been Goddard’s Galion,named after the founder of Chessington Zoo Reginald Goddard and the fact a Pirate Ship is also known as a Galion. I don’t like the name Blue Barnacle as it’s a Ship and not a Sea Barnacle. Croc Drop would have been Sobeck’s Shoot up after Sobeck the Egyiption God in which the ride is named,and the fact the ride shoots up. The name Croc Drop is plane boring a toddler could have been more inventive. River Rafts would have been Crocodile Cascade due to the uniquely themed boats,and the fact the ride cascades into water. This name gripes me as the ride has nothing to do with Rafts. Unless I’m delusional the last time I saw a Raft it certainly did not look like a Crocodile LOL. I cannot think of names for Jungle Rangers,Bobbing Barrels or Trawler Trouble. What I can personally say is that I would have rethemed Timber Tug Boat to a Lifeboat rather than a Trawler. The ride could have a proper back story about a Lifeboat. As well as having a back story the ride could’ve taught kids the importance of staying safe around Sea.

@ThemeParkAddict do you prefer my names and reasons behind them,than the names that Chessington World Of Adventures have chosen?

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps controversially, I quite like many of Chessington’s recent ride names. I think Croc Drop, even though I’ll digress to having personally preferred the original name of Sobek, is quite fun and rolls off the tongue nicely, and I also quite like Bobbing Barrels and Trawler Trouble; some nice alliteration there! I also personally quite like Blue Barnacle as well!

OK, I’ll admit that I think River Rafts is one I wouldn’t personally have gone for for that ride type (River Rafts sounds more “rapids ride” than “log flume” to me), and it’s not the most original, but I can see where they’re coming from.

Ultimately, I think the park appeals to young children as opposed to adult theme park enthusiasts, so anything too complex naming-wise would likely go over the target demographic’s heads a bit. When appealing to young children, I think you probably want something quite fun, simple, and with some sort of wordplay or device (from SOAPAIMS or GRIPPERS3PS, probably more the former), such as alliteration or rhyming. So in that regard, I think Chessington does that pretty well, personally!

Perhaps controversially, I quite like many of Chessington’s recent ride names. I think Croc Drop, even though I’ll digress to having personally preferred the original name of Sobek, is quite fun and rolls off the tongue nicely, and I also quite like Bobbing Barrels and Trawler Trouble; some nice alliteration there! I also personally quite like Blue Barnacle as well!

OK, I’ll admit that I think River Rafts is one I wouldn’t personally have gone for for that ride type (River Rafts sounds more “rapids ride” than “log flume” to me), and it’s not the most original, but I can see where they’re coming from.

Ultimately, I think the park appeals to young children as opposed to adult theme park enthusiasts, so anything too complex naming-wise would likely go over the target demographic’s heads a bit. When appealing to young children, I think you probably want something quite fun, simple, and with some sort of wordplay or device (from SOAPAIMS or GRIPPERS3PS, probably more the former), such as alliteration or rhyming. So in that regard, I think Chessington does that pretty well, personally!
@Matt N I wonder if the rides in next years new Amazon (Jumanji) Land will have more inventive names?

@Matt N I wonder if the rides in next years new Amazon (Jumanji) Land will have more inventive names?
I'd imagine that at very least, the coaster's name itself will have Jumanji in there somewhere, so as to promote the IP. That's usually the way with IP rides outside of Disney and Universal.