• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

To quote the planning application:

Planning permission for redevelopment and re-theming of the Monkey & Bird Garden was granted in September 2010. Following of a review of the requirements at the Park, the demand for additional bed spaces, and the desire to further complement the safari trail and existing hotel (via this application), this permission will not be implemented. Subject to approval of this application, Subject to approval of this application, it is the Park’s intention to redevelop the remaining part of the Monkey & Bird Garden as a new play/animal experience. A separate application is to be submitted when the details of that area have been finalised.

I quite like the idea of integrating the hotel further into the park, and the plans look great. They are also looking to extend the bar and pool area (is there already a pool or is this completely new?)
One thing that does confuse me though - will this close of the existing walkway from the zoo area up to the Wanyama Village and Reserve. I think there is a new entrance to that area planned within the Zufari plans too?

Chessington have released this promo video for Hocus Pocus 2012:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9V0_jsQ1GE[/youtube]

As for what attractions there will be:

VAMPIRE: The Haunting in the Hollows (12pm-7pm)

Venture through the Transylvanian village of Black Hollow in this all-new interactive walkthrough!

Transylvania, 1897. Beyond the gates of Castle Dracula lies a mysterious village with a dark secret. The journey varies greatly depending on the answers you give and the choices you make. Are you brave enough?

vampire-the-haunting.jpg

Burt and Bilge’s Big Bad BOO! (11:30am, 1pm, 2:30pm, 4pm, 5:30pm)

A slapstick Halloween show for the whole family to enjoy!

Join Market Square’s resident Medieval Misfits as they put on a Halloween celebration you’re unlikely to forget!

big-bad-boo-and-logo.jpg

Hocus Pocus Hall: Bewitched! (12pm-7pm)

What magical mischief waits around every corner of Hocus Pocus Hall?

The Witches have returned! Enter the Hocus Pocus Academy for the Magically Gifted. Just be wary of those naughty resident goblins, waiting to cause trouble!

hocus-pocus-hall.jpg

SPOOK Factor! (Times TBC)

This is your chance to get close to some of the strangest Halloween creepy crawlies imaginable!

The Rangers Club (7pm-9pm)

The adventures continue over in our safari-themed hotel! Join the Chessington Rangers in a variety of spook-filled games and activities!

rangers-club-logo.jpg

It all looks good, but it's a shame the Krypt isn't not making a return (albeit with some tweaking to deal with the not so great throughput). I'll also miss seeing the park's epic lighting and riding Vampire, Fury etc. in the (proper) dark :(

The event is a waste of space with closing at 7.00!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

That looks like a pretty nice line-up of Halloween attractions. As Dan has said however, it's a shame the park won't be open long enough to experience more things at night. Such a waste! :(

It is fair to say, for atmosphere, fun and feel - Chessie won with their Halloween event.

At nearly a 3 hour drive *not counting queues to get in* - it is disappointing. The park quietened down (a LITTLE) later on, the dark rides on Vampire were the best parts of the day.

As mentioned, it has a special feel at night that place - to close at 7pm, is another absolutely absurd decision.

It is HALLOWEEN MERLIN - ie STUFF HAPPENS AT NIGHT!

Honestly, they've angered me this year Merlin and their skinflint measures - perhaps they should host a Bar Humbug Christmas event! Be more up their street at the moment.

I have to agree with TheMan. Chessington looks fantastic at night. Infact I would even go as far to say that they are the best looking theme park at night. Just look at some pictures from last years event. Its a shame that at 7pm they will be closing thier gates, its no where near enough time to do everything in the dark. Hopefully everyone will put in a complaint and it will stay open longer next year!

Click the link for a little example of last years event :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/themeparkmania/7936583706

Hi TPM,

Sigh.... Those pictures make me realise even more what a ludicrous mistake this is!

For the record, I have submitted a very long complaint - indeed including this issue of Chessie, and their total lack of concern or thought for those of us who may travel further than the M25 to get there (alongside some specific issues of course) - also detailing this years Far Less for More Money attitude.

Over 2 weeks, and no response - really indicative of their current attitude towards their customers.

They've already taken the money so couldn't give a damn.

Anyway, they must be one of the only companies involved in Halloween events, that think the best time to hold them, is IN THE DAY!

Lunatics running the Asylum at present.

The other thing about Chessie is, I think they missed a trick - well to me, the glaringly obvious. I think Transylvania is (particularly AT NIGHT!) one of the most evocative themed areas in any park in the Country. It feels complete as a park, which I don't feel any of the others do (not including LegoLand - never been, different matter also, as the theme is obviously Lego lol!).

There is a feel of moving through areas, of an overall theme - Alton is a big mish mash now. You go Via some pirate theming into Katanga, through a Haunted Hollow and on towards Nemmy. But what is Forbidden Valley other than that? AIR? Do me a favour. Then into Dark Forest (which I do like, btw), via the Towers, into X-Sector. Then round to Spinball. It's all rather random and cobbled together and has no central feel to me anymore. With the (beautiful) walks included, the park feels like lots of miniature parks rather than a cogent whole. That is not to say, I don't enjoy the areas - of course I do! There does though, lack a feeling of cohesion nowadays - something to bind it together.

Chessie on the other hand, maintains a feel of a centralised theme that runs park wide (all be it, perhaps not as good as it used to be in times before I visited it). It is the perfect family layout - and one or two, large scale thrill attractions of some note, and you would have a spectacular heading park in my opinion.

Instead, it seems to be somewhat of an after thought for Merlin. So now, in London, you have families who choose to go EITHER Chessie OR Thorpe - instead of going on a FAMILY day out. It's too lacking in thrills for teens, and Thorpe is frankly an unsuitable environment for younger children anymore.

Once again - Merlin, in their genius, forget WHAT age bracket have the MOST disposable income!

Step forward once again, Nick Varney.

TheMan said:
Hi TPM,

Sigh.... Those pictures make me realise even more what a ludicrous mistake this is!

For the record, I have submitted a very long complaint - indeed including this issue of Chessie, and their total lack of concern or thought for those of us who may travel further than the M25 to get there (alongside some specific issues of course) - also detailing this years Far Less for More Money attitude.

Over 2 weeks, and no response - really indicative of their current attitude towards their customers.

They've already taken the money so couldn't give a damn.

Anyway, they must be one of the only companies involved in Halloween events, that think the best time to hold them, is IN THE DAY!

Lunatics running the Asylum at present.

It is such a shame, I have always had a soft spot for Chessington, but i am finding it harder for them to give me reasons to like them.

I am not even bothering going to the event this year due to the closing time even shorter, you will barely get 2 hours in the park and the major coasters will at least have 1 hour waits!

I am glad that someone has bothered to write thier feelings into words! Its the very british thing to do pull them apart behind thier back but it is important they know how thier customers feel!

No I agree, it is not viable to go now, 6 hour total drives plus as you say, horrendous queuing which becomes tolerable when it quietens down a little in that last hour.

It really was, no question, THE best hour in that park and the one we all looked most forward to. Inevitably, it was always the last park we did of the season too - on the last day of their opening.

I know I am going on about Merlin a lot, I would also point out that I frequently send letters/correspondence of praise for good service also - but as someone who understands the service industry quite intimately, there is simply NO excuse for their complete lack of regard to their consumer base!

It is quite disgusting, and Varney sets an appalling example with his nonsense about VAT and Free Museums. Someone like that is in charge?

I'd rather see Virgin running it - and THAT is saying something!

I adore chessington. Absolutely adore it. However, the lack of actual opening hours, and a huge cut in the event makes it not worthwhile visiting this year.

Chessingtons biggest issue is the local NIMBYs, to have planning restriction worse than Alton is saying something but they do. They are often blocked at every turn when it comes to rides so it doesn't seem to be Merlins focus anymore. It's a real shame.

Dave said:
Chessingtons biggest issue is the local NIMBYs, to have planning restriction worse than Alton is saying something but they do. They are often blocked at every turn when it comes to rides so it doesn't seem to be Merlins focus anymore. It's a real shame.

I wasn't aware of these restrictions. Alton's and Thorpe's are much publicised and known - that is a shame. Surely though, that can invoke a level of creativity?

That's still no excuse for closing at 7 though ;D

Indeed. The only restriction they have in regards to how late the park can open, is that vampire cannot run after 10pm.

It has been, and may still be, open until 11pm a night or two a year for special/corporate events.

thefatone said:
Indeed. The only restriction they have in regards to how late the park can open, is that vampire cannot run after 10pm.

It has been, and may still be, open until 11pm a night or two a year for special/corporate events.

I wasn't talking about a time restriction, the planning restriction makes investment hard so guest numbers stagnate and late opening is not financially viable.

With the last new attraction that was worth an actual visit in 2010, its actual painful to watch the park try and advertise to bring new guests in with nothing. I personally dont think that you can live off the glory of a ride for 2 years. Last year for example when Alton Towers didn't have anything new thier gate figures slumped (What a suprise!) because they thought they could live of the glory of Thirteen. It also looks like the same thing will happen to Thorpe Park with The Swarm.

I don't like this attitude merlin has but it also isnt helpful when nagging neighbours of the park whine about a new toilet being installed. I think that people need to realise that new attractions = more guests = more tourism for the area = better facilities for the neighbours. Don't get me wrong I love chessington but you just feel like banging your head against the wall with thier investment and growth strategy ::)

TheMan said:
No I agree, it is not viable to go now, 6 hour total drives plus as you say, horrendous queuing which becomes tolerable when it quietens down a little in that last hour.

It really was, no question, THE best hour in that park and the one we all looked most forward to. Inevitably, it was always the last park we did of the season too - on the last day of their opening.

I know I am going on about Merlin a lot, I would also point out that I frequently send letters/correspondence of praise for good service also - but as someone who understands the service industry quite intimately, there is simply NO excuse for their complete lack of regard to their consumer base!

It is quite disgusting, and Varney sets an appalling example with his nonsense about VAT and Free Museums. Someone like that is in charge?

I'd rather see Virgin running it - and THAT is saying something!

Well... i wouldnt go that far :D

Try being a fan of the park before Wild Asia appeared... 6 year gap between actual worthwhile investments... Urgh...

And again, for the locals, we need to take off our enthusiast hats to see how things would happen if the park were to expand rapidly, more guests, means more cars on Leatherhead Road, which when intermingling with rush hour and the like, means more annoyed locals getting to work on a road which is already very very busy during peak times, it's better now with the traffic lights, but still busy both sides...

Then of course the noise and what not... In some cases (like at Thorpe opening till 3am for club nights) it's perfectly understandable why locals wouldn't want certain investments to happen...

Chessie also isn't helped by the Green Belt land surrounding the park... That also prevents a lot of potential investment, as they can't purchase the bits they don't own, and the bits they do own can only be used in certain situations (the Safari attraction)... It's very much a difficult problem for the park, and they can't always just say that a ride will be a temporary attraction to get around it (Fury's lift)... The surrounding area can also see a few parts of the park, so again, it's all swings and roundabouts...

Got to remember, not everyone enjoys theme parks or the problems they can bring with the positives, but it's all dependant on the locals and the councils on the relationships with the parks... Two way thing, maybe if the park(s) attempted better ways to deal with the local area, more plans might make the breach to reality...

I agree, if you are ever going to try to expand, to grow and create more jobs - NOW is the time to do it!

There will be no better time to renegotiate and reassess applications/relationships with surrounding areas and councils.

I don't buy that it is not financially viable to stay open later though. Many years experience in customer faced environments/service industry. Fact is, longer they stay open, the more people buy. You have a captive audience - and whilst the park is not at it's full capacity - the amount of people I still see purchasing and around the park, plus the fact that closing early is actually keeping guests like me AWAY (and my approximate £100 spend for the day, at least) - 1 hour at minimum wage and I alone pay for at least 14 staff!

They aren't getting that money from me this year. Why? Because they have made the visit UNVIABLE with a stupid decision about a special event.

Also consider this - I've been multiple times, do I return for new rides? No. I return FOR the special events and HUMAN attractions, alongside their existing rides. THAT is their USP now. Take that away, and you really are screwed.

They have one unique aspect to them now, and downward Merlin pressures, based on flawed business mechanics, and ludicrous growth targets (see their buying up of everything they can get their grubby mits on) are actually eating into that!

My disdain for this company grows daily.