• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Right then.

STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT THEMING BEING TORN AND EVENTUALLY REPLACED!

Dragon Falls is still a great ride without out the rock work. There are some surprisingly good views from the top of it! The rock-work removal removal barely effects the on ride experience.

In fact the restoration of rides has barely effected my enjoyment of Chessington at all! I still have good days, having tons of fun. There is plenty of impressive theming throughout the park. To those assuming the sculpturing and theming of the rides wont be adequatley replaced, look at KOBRA's sculpture work.

HaydenCR said:
I take it you're not familiar with the workings of an Internet forum, then, where opinions (which may well differ from your own) are expressed?

Really is no need to shout :)

Also, what sources are you using to make you so 100% confident that all this theming will, absolutely, be replaced, to just as high a quality?

Islander said:
Also, what sources are you using to make you so 100% confident that all this theming will, absolutely, be replaced, to just as high a quality?

What sources are you using to make you so 100% confident that all this theming will not, absolutely be replaced to the same or better quality?

I don't think anybody can deny that Merlin don't have a track record of restoring old rides, regardless of what does/does not happen to the rides at Chessington.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

haydn! said:
Islander said:

What sources are you using to make you so 100% confident that all this theming will not, absolutely be replaced to the same or better quality?
I don't, which is why I'm not claiming that it absolutely won't. You, however, are claiming that it will :)

Islander said:
haydn! said:
Islander said:

I don't, which is why I'm not claiming that it absolutely won't. You, however, are claiming that it will :)

I never claimed anything of the sort. I simply questioned your firm stance on the matter.

(maybe check who you're quoting?)

Whoops, my apologies - two exceedingly similar usernames! Think I've honestly been seeing you both as the same person for the past year... :S

My point in that last post still stands, though, substituting 'you' with 'HaydenCR'.

They replaced the frontage in Transylvania... I'd call that replacing the theming. Although I remain optimistic, I just hope it's not saturated in the process, Chessington is theming and without it, I'm barely going this year.

Think Translyvania is slightly different though, since that was a result of a new restaurant, rather than H&S protocols changing and hence requiring half the park to be under scaffolding...

People are pessimistic because of what happened before with Falls and removing rockwork... Do not want it to happen again, otherwise as said, you lose the point of Chessie...

Jared said:
They replaced the frontage in Transylvania... I'd call that replacing the theming.

They didn't actually.

They removed the Count's Cauldron facade to reveal an older one, which they then repainted. Badly.

Here is a little update from the park yesterday! Some rides look pretty bad but hopefully the improvements being made will make them a better overall experience!

The rest are on my Facebook! facebook.com/themeparkmedia

It's got to get worse before it gets better. I might just avoid this thread.

Jared said:
It's got to get worse before it gets better. I might just avoid this thread.

No-one disputes that - the main issue is why this wasn't discovered & done in closed season, rather than 2 months after it opens? (or, failing that, wait for next closed season where possible - I'm sorry, but I don't believe ALL this scenery has been condemned!)

It's an awful shame to see these rides in such a state. I like Chessington and I know it could do much better if it had the funding but it's as if the park is stuck in a limbo. As soon as something gets better, something else falls to pieces.

Even if the theming is replaced, the fact that this is taking place now is putting me off from visiting until it's sorted. Chessington's quite a distance for me, so to drive all that way for a reduced line-up with other attractions not looking their best doesn't make sense to me. I won't be the only one not wanting to visit right now, and I can only wonder how this might affect the reception of Zufari.

BigAl said:
I can only wonder how this might affect the reception of Zufari.

Nah it's ok, Zufari's crap enough without needing the help of half the park's theming being removed...

Whoever planned out some aspects of Zufari needs to take a long hard look at themselves...

I haven't yet experienced Zufari for myself but it's worrying to hear that on top of the theming removals (hopefully to be replaced but I won't talk about that again) that Zufari isn't proving to be as popular as the park may have required. It's one of the largest investments that the park has made for a while so this needed to count.

:(

Edit: Here's an interview Vicky or Danny showed me from Visit England's website with one of Zufari's creators. He also helped with Nemesis Sub Terra. Apparently there's about 150 people who helped to create Zufari. But one funny aspect is the answer given for the question about the scariest ride that he's helped with. :p

Place looks a mess and It's definitely putting me off from visiting.

I was intending to come for the whole weekend of the TST South meet but at this rate I'll be saving my money and just going to Thorpe for the day. Chessies a once a year trip for me at best and I'd rather wait till they sort the place out.

Chessington Dragon Falls Redesign Thingy

Not really sure where to put this, so apologies for this rather long post. I thought I would share the Mystic East plans that I just sent to Chessington, to get more perspective on my ideas. I did it to get more familiar with the ride. It's all quite rushed and I haven't had time to finish the storyboards.

Dragon River is not a very theatrical ride, although there were some Jungle Cruise-style effects when it opened. I've always thought its strong point is in the immersive visuals and peaceful setting, so I have kept my plans simple. The area has to feel authentic and enveloping, yet similarly fictional, so I have done some research on old East-Asian cultures and tried to stylise it.

1011404_1455764621313090_715916540_n.jpg

The ride itself has a very simple layout, but originally this was disguised by the very clever use of bridges and tunnels; I have tried to expand on this idea. In recognition of Chessington's "wild" image, I also wanted to inject some adventure and vibrancy into Mystic East, whilst not affecting the original intentions of the ride.

An overview. I drew this from memory but haven't visited the park for a while..

EPSON002_zpsc3db9160.jpg

Visitors emerge from willow trees and foliage on to the edge of a pool, where boats splash down every 10 seconds on the Dragon Falls ride. The central feature of the area is a large rocky outcrop from which two muscular, dramatic reptilian figures have been sculpted, clawing their way over the cliff. From their mouths jets of water spray into the pool below, flanking the drop on either side. Their stone bodies are worn and rough from centuries of weathering, but faint dabs of colour can still be seen across their backs and heads.

EPSON004_zps9545fe8d.jpg

A tiered pagoda tower also stands to the left of the flume splashdown, adorned with hanging bells. Lettering inscribed on the tower signal your entrance into "Mystic East". Lively oriental music plays with drums, chimes and other strange timbres. A long bridge carries visitors over the water and down into the heart of the area. The banisters of the bridge are fashioned into dragon carvings, following Thai tradition, and a pergola structure stands overhead with various creepers growing over it.

Ahead a big grey mountain can be seen, and to the left a huge statue of Buddha [newly painted with an oxidised copper texture to reflect the real Kamakura Buddha it is based on]. To the left of the statue, a waterfall cascades down the mountain and into a pool out of sight. Ancient stone steps are carved into the mountain overhead. The path continues into a cave.

The dark cave interior hides the lift hill going overhead, as moody, watery ambience plays. All around ancient gods and dragons can be seen carved into the walls, dimly illuminated in blue. To the right, flume boats emerge from a tunnel adjacent to the path, hinting at what the ride has in store. Once out the other side of the cave, visitors find themselves next to the familiar painted dragon head and, further on, the Merlion fountain.

The path continues towards a red Japanese bridge. On the left, a small Chinese junk boat sits on the shallow water - its sails yellowed with age. The bridge takes you towards an oriental river-town that appears to be in the midst of a celebration. A softer, more mysterious variation on the music floats through the area.

A wooden restaurant stands on the water's edge, adorned with decorative motifs such as wind chimes and metal lanterns. On its front wall, a large whiskered fish mural is painted across the shutters. Hanging signage proclaims the entrance to the themed seafood restaurant within. [This building is currently the rather worn-out Dragon's Lair arcade, which can be converted into kitchens, then extended to accommodate indoor seating. The jetty at the back of the area, stilted over the water, can become the outdoor seating.]

EPSON005_zps2079ab24.jpg

To the right, the wonderful station exterior is restored and redressed to look more vibrant and mysterious, with the ride entrance returned to the central porch. The building is also partially extended to the left for a new gift shop.

The queue now begins in a highly decorated porch [where the ORP stall now is]. On busy days, riders are directed out a door to the right, into a winding path through a dense Japanese garden of exotic trees, flowers and statues. The queue traverses the flume at two points, over vibrantly painted, arched Japanese bridges, before coming back on itself into the main station. The main station interior is totally redecorated to resemble a large Thai palace, with large suspended lanterns and brass bells. Hazy light streams through small square windows to illuminate the red and gold interior.

The queue goes up the stairs above the ride platform, but now also turns left outside, onto a balcony. The elevated path overlooks the village from on top of the porch, and circles a square palace turret before coming back inside. Elevated queuelines are great - for those just joining the queue, seeing riders who have gone before you standing up high builds a sense of anticipation; plus it will get riders closer to the architecture. From there, steps take riders down on to the ride platform as usual. Riders board the boats, resembling little sampans (Chinese fishing boats), which flow continuously through the channel in the floor.

The ride takes its normal route: under the queue bridges, through a short tunnel under a path, then turning right up towards the first lift. New rockery clads the first lift and drop, replacing what was removed. The boat drops into the mouth of the dragon and into the tunnel, where the sound of mystical chimes is heard echoing. As riders turn the corner into darkness, an illuminated waterfall appears directly in their path, threatening to soak them. At the last second, the lights go out and the water is never felt. [This is an effect that used to be in the tunnel, it's the oldest trick in the book but could still be effective].

The tunnel opens up into the ancient caves area, where the statues can be seen and riders can interact with pedestrians walking through. By extending the tunnel, the Terror Tomb warehouse is also hidden for longer. The boats eventually come out in view of the Kamakura Buddha, before beginning the winding stretch through the trees. I decided to liven this moment up by adding an animatronic crocodile that unexpectedly snaps and splashes a bit of water from the bank of the water channel. [I believe this was also an effect in the original ride, although short lived].

The boats emerge behind the seafood restaurant, with all decoration restored, and complete a U-turn back towards the mountain. The waterfall from the mountain cascades down into the pond in this area. The ascension begins...

The boats climb up the steep mountain path, as various old flags and banners are strung from wooden beams overhead. An old hut stands at the summit of this mountain, in which a big brass bell and wooden ram hang. As riders reach the top, they pass through this hut, the ram becomes activated and rings the bell.

EPSON006_zps2834ecab.jpg

The boats gently complete the U-Turn above the Terror Tomb building. I decided it would be too impractical to disguise the roof of this building. Also, enclosing the flume would take away any feeling of freedom or vulnerability as you float high in the air.

Eventually the flume turns towards a large rocky outcrop, and the stone tails of the two reptiles come into view. The boats pass the large back legs and bodies of the sculptures, before being lifted up and over the edge of the cliff. The moderately exciting drop is made slightly more interesting by the powerful jets of water spraying out in front of you.

After the splashdown, the boats exit the pool past the pagoda tower and under the bridge, coming out next to the stilted seating area of the seafood restaurant. One final surprise comes in the form of a pneumatic baby Thai elephant, which stands on a plinth some distance to the right, spraying water about wildly and flapping its ears. [A new elephant to replace the broken one] The boats then re-enter the palace station and a ride host awkwardly offers their hand to help you get out, as usual. You exit through a small gift shop, where you can buy your ORP and some Dragon River merchandise.

Alternatively, just restore everything that was removed. The end.