• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Dave said:
late opening is not financially viable.

I find this to be a European park trait in that they cut the hours because the last hour is always one that makes the least profit but then the parks give its guests no reason to stay till the end of the day unlike (dare I say it) Disney who throw on a fireworks show or major performance in the majority of their parks. I am not saying Merlin should go down that route due to costs, but just closing the ride gates at 6pm isn't a reason for anyone to stay.

The frustrating thing with Chessington is that it could do something like a parade around the park themed around its areas if it improved its infrastructure, reinvested in its own appearance and updated itself. It's criminal that Vampire hasn't seen a proper lick of paint in 22 years for example and the way Runaway Train is degrading is ridiculous. New rides are one thing, but actually keeping the upkeep of the rest of the park really should be a priority. 2016 is to far away, we're talking six years after the parks first proper new ride since Dragons Fury.

I think a dark ride is an excellent idea but the park needs to be inspired and take the initiative with it. Needs to lead not follow.

mark9 said:
Dave said:

I find this to be a European park trait in that they cut the hours because the last hour is always one that makes the least profit but then the parks give its guests no reason to stay till the end of the day unlike (dare I say it) Disney who throw on a fireworks show or major performance in the majority of their parks. I am not saying Merlin should go down that route due to costs, but just closing the ride gates at 6pm isn't a reason for anyone to stay.

The frustrating thing with Chessington is that it could do something like a parade around the park themed around its areas if it improved its infrastructure, reinvested in its own appearance and updated itself. It's criminal that Vampire hasn't seen a proper lick of paint in 22 years for example and the way Runaway Train is degrading is ridiculous. New rides are one thing, but actually keeping the upkeep of the rest of the park really should be a priority. 2016 is to far away, we're talking six years after the parks first proper new ride since Dragons Fury.

I think a dark ride is an excellent idea but the park needs to be inspired and take the initiative with it. Needs to lead not follow.

And also, at what point does guest experience come into it? I still see people at the stalls buying food/drinks etc, as you say, a little entertainment would keep people in even longer. But how can you have, a Halloween event, which doesn't stay open much later than normal park hours?

I just don't buy that it isn't penny pinching.

We had days, in restaurant years ago, where Mondays were quiet - did we close? NO. Why? Because, it costs relatively little to staff in comparison to the high profit that you take when open.

Ok I admit I've seen no balance or P/L sheets, and I would certainly like to see them, but at this point I have to say - profit trumps customer experience. Whilst all business requires this to survive, I think this step on a special event period is going too far.

Have they counted the people who would have come, but now wont, because it was JUST worth a visit before - and now isn't? Like I say, they lost around 120 quid alone from me, doesn't seem much right?

But that last hour that's the best part of 20 staff paid for.

It's a three hour drive from me, I'm NOT doing that for a day out where the best hour is removed. General consensus I've found, is I am NOT on my own in these thoughts.

It is however, a great shame, but I cannot support this attitude and in this case, am reluctantly voting with my feet. A few seasons ago, I did this with Alton Towers, and spent 3 seasons away. I felt it was not worth complaining, and visited other parks (mainly Blackpool).

Merlin as a whole this season (as I'm sure everyone knows now ha-ha) have been shocking this year. They're not getting a third of my usual spend at least, because I keep leaving their parks thinking - that was a TOTAL waste of money. I've done ONE PARK this year, by now I've usually done 3 at least.

Not that they seem too bothered about it...

That hour here or there, that bit of service here or there, another stealthy price increase, another additional cost, may not APPEAR too much/financially viable - but it has a MUCH greater affect at ground level than these people realise when accumulated!

mark9 said:
Dave said:

All the Floridian parks do something at the very end of the day to keep guests until the very last minute. SeaWorld and Busch Gardens held fantastic daily fireworks displays that start just as the last few riders enter queues. Universal held a parade and then a few hours afterwards they had a small fireworks display on the lake.

Queues shut, fireworks start and people are still in the park because there's something new to see that they haven't had all of the day to experience.

I'm not expecting any Merlin parks in the UK to do this, least of all Chessington, but some sort of grand outdoor show might work quite well.

They can't just constantly cut the last hour because it's not as popular or the hours will become pointless. :p

Also, could they not just keep a few areas open past 7:00pm such as Wild Asia, Transylvania and Land of the Dragons? That way, as guests start to empty from the park, those still wishing to stay still have a great selection of attractions and the rest of the rides can be closed.

It's just a real waste and I'm positive that someone, somewhere could do more to help Chessington. Especially at this time of year.

BigAl said:
They can't just constantly cut the last hour because it's not as popular or the hours will become pointless. :p

Just have to say, that made me laugh! Your points about just keeping more main attraction areas open is valid also, although not sure on the logistics of that.

Even so, 8pm, is not exactly late given it's the Halloween event. 7pm, in comparison to it's marketplace, is just ridiculous however you look at it really.

Come to our daytime Halloween event ;D - ...er, no ta.

Plot lost on this for me by Chessie/Merlin - whoever took the decision. Should have made more of the event, early close was an easy, non creative, nonsensical approach. In a creative, hospitality fusion industry - this just isn't good enough, there's no defense for it.

Blue Sky thinking to overcome this issue, was replaced with cloudy, grey, wet Bank Holiday day thinking ;D

Taking a look at Chessington's park map along with Google Maps and Bing Maps open to see what areas look like they could be useful for new rides in the future. No idea whether some of these can be used or not?

1) This has already been mentioned a few times now, but Mr Toadies site is right at the heart of Chessington and could prove quite useful for a big new dark coaster, dark ride or roller coaster. Being in the middle means it can be built taller and noise is less of a concern. To me, this plot, along with removing the Africa section in the future is Chessington's last hope for a coaster on the scale of Vampire. As we've said before, a Mack E-Motion (part indoors and part outdoors) might be a good idea, or maybe a compact Manta-esque Mack launch (so quite soft and small, not big and intense) with a queue line that twists under and around the ride? Maybe an Arctic, Aussie or even a Himalayan theme for the ride (Himalayan would work well, what with having Wild Asia and Mystic East situated next to it) would help bring more variation to the park?

P5233100.JPG

2) The big empty plot of land behind Temple of Mayhem that sits above the car park looks like it could be used for something. I don't know whether they can use this part of the park or not, but if so, could it be used for an expansion of Wild Asia or Mystic East? Perhaps if a new dark ride or coaster was to take Mr Toadies, a new scenic car ride in the form of Jeeps exploring ancient ruins might be able to tie-in with Wild Asia? Something like that wouldn't be difficult to remove and it wouldn't create any noise either, so the locals wouldn't need to worry about it. Perhaps something like Legoland Windsor's Dino Safari?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXpJVEJJHzE[/youtube]

3) The Temple of Mayhem is a decent enough sized plot for a new flat ride, though I don't know how removing it would go down with Chessington's target audience as it has always been busy when I've visited. Jared suggested a Madhouse themed to a booby-trapped tomb which is an idea that I've always wanted to see done with a Vekoma or Mack Madhouse!

4) The area taken by Peking Heights and the Extreme Game Zone is really underutilised. Yes, it's small, but Peking Heights either needs replacing with a wheel that can actually hold more than two people at once or it needs scrapping, and the trampolines can be moved to the other side of the park, on the patch of grass to the left of the left-hand side path from the zoo entrance into the park, opposite the green in front Hocus Pocus Hall (get me? :p ). This means that the trampolines can stay and fill a part of the park which isn't used at the moment which is out of view from the beautiful zoo entrance and still isn't visible from outside of the park. Then Chessington can either add something new, like a new play area with a new ferris wheel, or a larger new ride that takes both spots. I'd prefer a new wheel as the view from the top of Peking is great and it's a pleasant enough experience.

5) The Treasure Chest Games building which is situated between Black Buccaneer and Seastorm. Small, but games stalls are easier to remove and no doubt they'd be able to put new, smaller games stands around the place (if they actually really need them :p ). The building could be extended for a small dark ride, or demolished to accommodate a Gerstlauer Sky Fly, like the one at Nigloland:

53938110150634401151174.jpg

Themed to an old lighthouse or a wrecked ship mast with seagulls attacking a pirate at the top of it? :p I seriously want one of these in the UK though! :D

Although Chessington doesn't have anywhere to build one, I think a small Wild River Raft ride from Hafema would be great. They're small but look like pretty good fun and Chessington does small very, very well! They also haven't had a new water ride for a long time too!

43169.537.jpg

In my dreams! :(

But Merlin still needs to sort out the park and give the place some much needed TLC! They need to get all the theming fixed and all the rides painted properly!

I would rather the Wild Asia field used for a coaster, because Toadies would be more of a compact and cluttered fit in my opinion...

Manta (Mack) would be a brilliant choice, although needs a heartline roll just because they are sheer awesome... That or a Gerstlauer launched coaster a la Anubis...

Not sure on a SkyFlyer, too low capacity for my tastes, as Chessie already has enough of those for their major attractions, it doesn't need many more... It needs to look towards 600/700 minimum for any future additions... Defo need to remove Peeking Heights and that area though, could easily squeeze in another flat ride (Tea Cups?) and maybe a new Ferris Wheel (which is needed)...

Would love a Rapids ride... If only they could expand even further behind Mystic East... Lots of space that could do such a nice Artic area, with a coaster/rapids combo...

Sigh... It's depressing going there... Such a bad state, the shows are god awful now inside the park (not counting the zoo), Sea Lion Bay was actually vomit green, just so sad to see the awful state of the park... Ramses' new metal steps are gonna make everyone annoyed as well... Sigh... They need some major money thrown at the park...

I Like how you are thinking of space/higher capacity rides, Rapids are ideal as you tend to go there with more kids! It's the kind of ride that would attract great queues there I reckon. The coaster ideas are awesome too. They need a mid thrill don't they. Something the kids can test themselves on! There are plenty of kids who'd love to try a looper, where do they start? Thorpe? LOL! Something with one or two gentler inversions but just enough bite to keep slightly older kids (like me haha) happy too would be grand!

Rapids, a mid family (But with possible inversion or two), a new flat or two and some paintwork and that park is more or less done for a good few years.

Oh by the way guys, Technical Park have "invented" a Gerst like flyer - called the Aerobat. Remember seeing it first on Coasterforce I think, looked into more details and found this vid:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C622XPzXvP4[/youtube]

Benzin said:
Sea Lion Bay was actually vomit green, just so sad to see the awful state of the park... Ramses' new metal steps are gonna make everyone annoyed as well... Sigh... They need some major money thrown at the park...

There's a sign on one side of the bay that explains the green, according to the park its deliberate and not a lack of care. :eek:

Deliberate as in the water filter was buggered? That was my assumption, since the Sea Lions were locked into the tiny backstage area...

Either way, not nice...

By 'vomit green' do you mean as in a dark, murky appearance on the water in comparison to the clear water a year ago?

It wasn't the usual dark, murky appearance that occurs with natural elements clashing with the water, you couldn't see the bottom of the pool from Skyway, and the fact that the animals were locked away says to me that there is a problem with something...

By vomit green, I meant similar to a colour I was introduced to during my time at hospital this year... Not great...

Didn't have much to do today, so I thought I'd casually design a miniature river rapids ride for Chessington to see how one might look, should they ever want to or be able to create such a ride.

Sorry if it's all a bit... naff, but I did make it in PowerPoint! :p

KCRRPlan.png

This is just a basic monster themed rapids which winds down the empty hill side below Dragon's Fury. As I stated before, a company such as Hafema could build something like this as their compact rapids rides look fantastic and would fit in easier, given the small amount of space.

Cheesy story time! (it's the only way I can really make this weird picture make sense :p )

You exit the station and get told a short tale about the legendary Kraken which has been terrorising the shores of Pirates Cove for centuries by the ghost of a pirate who'd been eaten by the creature many years before your voyage. As you approach the harbour, you pass a large ship which has been snapped in half and is starting to sink; water sloshing up the sides of your vessel.

You then head away, down into the creek where the creature is said to frequent. Unfortunately for you and your shipmates, an enemy galleon passes by and opens fire on you.

After feeling the enemy ship, you come to an eerie lagoon with abandoned rowing boats peeking up from out of the fog which clings to the surface of the water. Something bubbles and moves beneath the surface. Was it the Kraken?

Soon, waves begin to lap up your boat and suddenyl, from out of knowhere, the might beast itself rises up and over the top of you; writhing and splashing chaotically! Your only hope of escape is though a dark cave.

The waters seem calm inside the cave, but not for long, as the Kraken rises out of the freezing waters once again. This time he snatches a pirate off of the enemy ship which had followed you in, but his attention soon switches back to you and your friends. Your boat sloshes within a few feet of its gigantic, razor filled mouth, but the cave can't withstand the might of the Kraken and collapses over the top of you and the Kraken itself!

As the roof falls, water comes pouring in towards your boat and the Kraken slowly sinks beneath the raging waves (indoor waterfall finale with animatronic tentacles waving around from inside the water). You reach the end of the tunnel and arrive back at Pirates Cove to be greeted with cheers from grateful locals for your bravery after conquering the Kraken. :p

A bit over the top, but I hope that makes my picture make a little more sense. :p The reason for such a large cave section is that this area would be nearer to the outside of the park, so a cave would help to prevent screams and noise being heard from outside of the park, as well as adding an extra dimension to what would otherwise be a compact rapids ride.

And here's a new plan of an old coaster I designed for the Mr Toadies site:

TheYetiPlan.png

ChessingtonCoasterConcept-120527100842001.jpg

ChessingtonCoasterConcept-120527100823000.jpg

MotionSimCoasterTrack3.jpg

It's basically a Mack launch coaster themed to an expedition to find the yeti in the Himalayan mountains. The cars would be themed to snowmobiles and the station would be some kind of outpost, decorated with various scientific equipment, snow gear and sighting photos and documents, etc...

The launches are designed to be soft but give the ride enough speed to navigate the steep and treacherous terrain. Both launches would be synchronised so that the two trains fly past each other (which would be visible from the queue line too).

As you can see, the area is very small but I've managed to fit a decent sized coaster in which offers a rolling launch and another launch from standing still, a world first motion simulator section which would also have a screen in front of the train with the yeti being projected onto it, and plenty of hills and turns (still, nothing too intense or ridiculous).

Such a thing as a piece of track being mounted to a motion simulator would no doubt cost a lot to create and would probably swallow a big chunk of the ride budget, but Chessington needs something new and extravagant to shout about so that more people are attracted to the park. But it could easily be taken out or something else could be done such as a large animatronic or maybe even Th13teen style free-fall drop, as those two choice would be cheaper.

Would either of those plans, or something similar to them, be even remotely possible to do? Can that plot of land that I've made the rapids plan over even be used?

Sorry for making the topic a little bit childish and irrelevant though. :-[

P.S. Does anyone else have any plans of their own? It'd be interesting to see what anyone else would like to see at the park.

:)

Benzin said:
It wasn't the usual dark, murky appearance that occurs with natural elements clashing with the water, you couldn't see the bottom of the pool from Skyway, and the fact that the animals were locked away says to me that there is a problem with something...

By vomit green, I meant similar to a colour I was introduced to during my time at hospital this year... Not great...

With regards to not seeing the bottom of the pool from any distance, that's been a new feature of the recent pump change alongside the dark, murky appearance for quite some time. It does sound strange that the Sealions were locked away, was there any sign that the daily show had been cancelled?

I have no idea as to the practicalities of what you present Al, but the imagination and dedication on here never ceases to amaze me at times.

I wouldn't have a clue how to do what you just did ;D

More knowledgeable people may well have things to say, but I think they both look brilliant!

Service/business/good company ethics etc - I'll debate endlessly on. That level of design, in an afternoon, I can only applaud.

Although I can't present my ideas through pictures I'd love to see a 13 style drop rollercoaster, it's the perfect family thrill ride, and if Legoland Billund can have penguins in a drop, just imagine what Chessington Zoo could have!

Alex, that's bloody amazing :eek:. I mean, there are a couple of practicality issues (you need a large reservoir/lake towards the end of the ride for water to drain into during shutdown, for example), but blow that, as TheMan says, the amount of creativity and thought that has gone into that is astonishing. I love it!

BigAl said:
P.S. Does anyone else have any plans of their own? It'd be interesting to see what anyone else would like to see at the park.
Well, definitely not mine, but ages ago (well over a year) on TTF, HAJiME (don't know if he's now on TST...?) posted his 'Temple of Elang' concept:

938598de918b7b4c7a866a567429bbc3.jpg

ab0373913a3f76ab70f757b968063ef2.jpg

4fbf056161f7ea7bb924849184549577.jpg

Do check out the link above, he's done full story boards and further concept art.

Temple of Elang really is some of the best ride concept work I've ever seen, regardless of the fact that it's not from an 'official' source.

Thanks, you two! I did start to wonder about the reservoir but then I don't know much about Hafema rapids and what they require, but I posted what I made anyway. :p

Also, I remember seeing HAJiME's work on TTF. It's a uni project I think. It's fantastic and looks as good as real park concept work. It's very Wild Asia! :D

As Jared requested, I've posted some stuff over on Chessington Buzz in my own 10 year plan for the park which can be viewed here. A bit OTT, but I can dream! :p

Edit: Just thought, the area taken by sections 5 to 10 on my rapids plan could just all be one large lake which would sort out the lack of anywhere to put the water when the ride isn't in use. :p

I thought that Thomas, it's almost like it would have been an absolute star attraction at Chessie, where as at Alton it certainly isn't.

Big fish, littler pond and all that :)

EDIT:
I have to start checking extra pages before I post! Sorry again, great artwork up there, thanks for posting that up Islander!!

Rowe said:
With regards to not seeing the bottom of the pool from any distance, that's been a new feature of the recent pump change alongside the dark, murky appearance for quite some time. It does sound strange that the Sealions were locked away, was there any sign that the daily show had been cancelled?

The show was cancelled Monday when we went and they had a parrot show in it's place, in Sealion Bay.

Alton Towers... You need to take a leaf out of Chessington's Book.

552260_473675869339798_780371700_n.jpg

Took this photo about an hour ago now. This just goes to show that Chessington always make the effort. Just wish the park was open that extra hour.