• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

As posted on Chessington Buzz, here is my review of this year's "scare" attractions:

A Vampire From Transylvania Visits the Haunted Hollow and Maybe Gloomy Wood While He's There: (Or something like that)
Not the most catchy name for a maze.

Some brilliant acting in this. I don't mean jumping out going "boo", I mean proper theatrics. First you meet Van Helsing, who has to be one of, if not the, best actor I have ever met in a theme park. He really set up the show perfectly. And his energy didn't seem to flag at all from the start of the day to the end.

He tells you that the locals don't trust him, but maybe we could help him find Dracula.

The next character you meet does not give his name, but is clearly based on Renfield from the Dracula novel. A mad man, calling to his master, while leaping onto the hearse.

After this, he is chased away by a well spoken woman in a corset and widow veil, who invites you in to her house. I could be wrong, but I think she may have worked on Vengeance at The London Dungeon. If not, she certainly reminds me of an actor I have seen there.
You stand around the body of her husband, while she tells you of how Dracula killed him. The scene ends with a good, if predictable, scare.

Following this, you find yourself outdoors again where you meet... actually, I'm not sure who this character was supposed to be. His appearence is very similar to Van Helsing.
This scene takes place in the graveyard, with some nice unearthed skeletons. Probably the weakest scene to me.

You then enter the crypt, where you finally meet Dracula himself. His costume is refreshingly not based on Bela Lugosi. He sends you into the final section to meet his children, a male and female vampire who run into the crypt to scare you before running back out into...

...a mini strobe maze. Well, a strobe corridor. I was pleasantly shocked to find this in a Chessington attraction. After all the character based story so far, to suddenly find yourself in a "grown up" scare maze makes it seem a lot more intense than it is. Thick smoke and coloured strobes, combined with black curtains, provide plenty of opportunity for jump scares, and the two actors really worked the small room well.

This is the finale, and before you know it, you are back outside.

We did it twice, in daylight, and at night. Goes without saying that night is better, due to two thirds of it being outside.

I'm very glad Chessington have decided to go for a more "scary" attraction this year. My only concern is that it may be too much for a lot of the children that go through it. On our second run, we had a family with us, and the youngest child was crying right from the start. Maybe the park could be more assertive with an age restriction, rather than a suggested age limit that they don't actually enforce?

Actors: 10/10 They really are brilliant.
Sets: 7/10 Mostly plywood covered in printed brick effects, looks a bit cheap in daylight, but works well at night.
Lighting: 9/10 As always, Chessington know how to use simple lighting to maximum effect. Only let down by a couple of really obvious Pixle PARs in the smaller rooms... though being honest I suspect I'm the only one who would notice them. Both the lighting and audio are synced very well to the action.
Entertainment: 9/10 A genuinely good story to follow, and you feel like you are part of it, rather than a passive observer.
Scares: 5/10 This is such a personal thing that it's almost pointless trying to rate it. But there are a couple of good jump moments to be had. Given it is aimed at a younger audience, it's probably terrifying to them! :p

Total: 40/50

Hocus Pocus Live

We were told that the park wanted to balance out the more scary maze by making HPL more child friendly this year. Well, they certainly did that.

I'm very glad we fastracked this, as I heard many people saying "I can't believe I queued an hour for this".

It's the usual route through Hocus Pocus Hall, but without the 3D glasses. Thus rendering almost the entire attraction worthless. The plot (if you can call it that) is an embarrasing rip off of Harry Potter, but without any sense of even the mildest peril.

At four points, you meet a "witch", who talks at you for too long. Even the toddlers, who this was aimed at, looked bored.

There are no scares at all, instead, it is an attempt at "story time".

I'm afraid that's all I can say about it really. If you are under five it may be entertaining, but I doubt it.

Actors: 6/10 They do they best they can with a dire script. But they are all the same basic character: Posh public school girl in a non-copywrited Hogwarts uniform.
Sets: N/A: 0/10 It's Hocus Pocus without the 3D element. Fail.
Lighting: N/A: 0/10 Standard Hocus UVs and nothing else.
Entertainment: 3/10 Maybe to it's target audience it might be fun, but by the time we met the third witch, I just wanted to get out of there.
Scares: 0/10 That's not the point of this attraction, I guess. The standard air cannon and popup gremlins from Hocus are still there, but that's it.

Total: 9/50
Wow. That seems really harsh. Maybe I shouldn't be judging it on the same criteria as a proper scare attraction? Oh well, it's done now. :p

After hearing that Chessie was planning a wooden coaster (possibly a duelling one like Joris En De Draak), I thought I'd try my hand at designing one too! :p

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC4nvQh5mKs[/youtube]

The wiggly lines around the ride are outlines for the queues, buildings and then the large 'L' shaped line which surrounds the whole coaster is the area of land I selected which you can see on the maps in the video.

A few stats...

Trains: 3 (9 cars per train, two seats per car, 18 seats)
Predicted Capacity: 1116 riders per hour
Dispatch Time: Every 58 seconds
Height whilst on lift: 22 meters / 72.2ft
Track Height: 20 meters / 66.6ft
Largest Drop Height: 19 meters / 62.3ft
Length: 2705ft
Inversions: 0
Top Speed: 42mph

There's some photos of it here. I won't post them because I'd rather not spam the topic. :p

Sorry to keep posting stuff like this too, I just really like Chessie and keep imagining all the different rides they could have (probably due the fact that they don't really ever get much). ???

It was before they got Dragon's Fury, apparently. I don't really know much about it other than that though. :p

Benzin said:
Once upon a time Chessie were gonna get a B&M where Rattlesnake now sits...

Such is life...

Do you have any more info on this? I guess we're talking about a pre-2000's plan before Thorpe became the thrill capital, but after Nemesis was built (as B&M weren't around long before that). I can't imagine what type of B&M you'd fit in that space but it sounds interesting.

Some photos taken yesterday from ThemeUK.Net:

Zufari031101.jpg

Zufari031114.jpg

Zufari031113.jpg

Zufari031102.jpg

Zufari031103.jpg

Zufari031112.jpg

Zufari031111.jpg

Zufari031110.jpg

Zufari031108.jpg

Zufari031107.jpg

Zufari031106.jpg

Zufari031105.jpg

Zufari031104.jpg

:)

Am I the only one really looking forward to this? I mean I know it's not a new coaster, but frankly it's one of the best ideas for the park. I hope it comes out as well from concept!

Thomas said:
Am I the only one really looking forward to this? I mean I know it's not a new coaster, but frankly it's one of the best ideas for the park. I hope it comes out as well from concept!

No, I'm in that same camp! :)

I think it's great that the park choose to spend their budget on lighting, but I am getting sick of the constant comparisons with Alton Towers and their efforts.

The way some people post, it's as if CWOA have this perfect halloween event, when Scarefest is some kind of failure.

Yes - the lighting at AT is very poor, and this is highly regrettable. In fact it annoys me to hell. That said, AT have been fighting through the season to even offer a new maze, and keep 9pm closes - let alone spending extra capital this year on lights. The Sanctuary cost tens of thousands of pounds to stage, and Alton Towers hire what must be 50 actors for the period - which is a 2 1/2 week event, rather than a 1 week 2 day event.

As has been posted by thefatone, it is swings and roundabouts. How I wish they could all do everything, but with budget constraint - they cannot.

You can't really compare the two as Chessie and Towers are both aimed at different markets. Yep, we can all agree that Towers lighting was not impressive but they more than made up for it with the mazes, and the amount of money spent on the mazes etc. really showed. However, Chessington also did a great job with their Hocus Pocus event. Neither were a shambles, to be honest, both events were successful but improvements could be made - like with most things in life. Just can't have everything perfect for events like these.

Anyway, I am looking forward to Zufari! And it's great to see how much work has been done. I am certainly intrigued to know what the finale will hold :)

AstroDan said:
I think it's great that the park choose to spend their budget on lighting, but I am getting sick of the constant comparisons with Alton Towers and their efforts.

The way some people post, it's as if CWOA have this perfect halloween event, when Scarefest is some kind of failure.

Yes - the lighting at AT is very poor, and this is highly regrettable. In fact it annoys me to hell. That said, AT have been fighting through the season to even offer a new maze, and keep 9pm closes - let alone spending extra capital this year on lights. The Sanctuary cost tens of thousands of pounds to stage, and Alton Towers hire what must be 50 actors for the period - which is a 2 1/2 week event, rather than a 1 week 2 day event.

As has been posted by thefatone, it is swings and roundabouts. How I wish they could all do everything, but with budget constraint - they cannot.

What happened here lol? Scarefest is so last years Black now dude ;0)

They're fair points you make about maze costs etc though, and some of the staging was brilliant - but I wouldn't exactly call it a scary scare maze.

It also would have served as a useful marketing tool for SW7, and to raise expectations, and invest to gain further visitors next year. It does annoy me that blinkers go on left right and centre for the towers, they'll gain much for that investment, and it costs significantly more to enter them than it does Chessie, who offer theirs free not a premium up sell.

Now, Sanctuary free? Or not 7 quid lol! My view would be drastically different, but this is not a cheap attraction on top of an already expensive day.

And contrary to the point you make about opening times, the longer they have that maze open at premium times, the more money they stand to make/return on their investment - not less.

It's clear Tower's budgets were squeezed, I actually don't point the finger much at Alton at all, it's Merlin for me. However, your post was a bit too one sided, just as some of the Chessie ones have been.

I still say what Chessie do is brilliant, without charging more...

Alton Towers has really come under fire by even the hardcore fans for lack of lighting and atmosphere so I think it's fair to compare when a smaller park like Chessington does it really well, even if the event as a whole is inferior to Scarefest.

It's all about creating the mood and atmosphere really, and it seems like Chessington have achieved it really well. The photo's look stunning.

Chessington looks year-on-year amazing. Because they own the lights, and spent the money on the lights seasons ago. I'm sure towers would have amazing lights if they spent money on it years ago too.

Tis atmospheric at chessie, however it also gets taken away that they use the same soundtrack across park. Not fun.

As for Zufari - it fits perfectly into their target market, really does add to the wild adventure thing, sounds promising and I am quite looking forward to seeing how it ends up :)

AstroDan said:
The Sanctuary cost tens of thousands of pounds to stage, and Alton Towers hire what must be 50 actors for the period - which is a 2 1/2 week event, rather than a 1 week 2 day event.

Whilst i agree with most of your points, i disagree with this, whilst mazes are no doubt expensive to stage, id be very surprised if they didnt rake the money in from the up charge for it..

Indeed - however regardless of how much money they'd take in, the budgets would still be difficult to obtain. Because it's all forecasts, it's a risk. And for some reason this place doesn't like taking risks!

AstroDan said:

Can I just say, you're saying you're angry at the comparisons between Alton Towers and Chessington's Halloween events. I understand that, but in terms of audience, you are looking at similar categories as Chessington is aimed at the family market, much like Alton Towers.

Chessington may own the lights, but for the past few years, they've done nothing all that major in terms of scare attractions or actors. Opting to spend budgets for the last few years building up a collection of lighting equipment, now they have that they are starting to build it into it's scare/haunt attractions.

For example, The Vampire - Haunting in the Hollows, which was new for this year was built on a VERY small budget, far smaller than that of Alton and offered one of the best Halloween attractions of the season. Gazag (Who you may or may not know produces scare attractions) said it had some of the best story telling and theatrics he'd seen in a long time and said he rated it far more than TOTT 2 (The Sanctuary).

Chessington are growing their Halloween attraction rapidly, even with a small budget. Me saying Alton should take a leaf out of Chessington's book is right. Chessington had it's budget slashed massively, much like Alton, but still managed to pull out all the stops, sure, the event was shorter, but the atmosphere was amazing, the attractions offered were all quality and the overall event was the best one I've seen Chessington do for years. And I've been going to it since it first started!

Saying that Alton "have been fighting through the season to even offer a new maze" is completely irrelevant when you consider that Chessington are fighting to even do anything with the park, next to no budget for rides when Towers gets something new every year, as does Thorpe. Saying that Alton Towers are struggling to put on an event of some class is silly when you consider that it's getting a massive investment for next year, the fact that it also has a Fireworks display says a lot too. Towers Budgets must be massive compare to Chessington, who year on year impress, with pretty much no money at all...

It's a silly comparison to make really, Towers budget is spread over more "event" (3 mazes, 1 Scare zone, 1 show and the farm stuff. Chessie prioritise one maze and great lighting. Each parks on a budget, each choose to spend that budget in their own way and yes Towers budget is bigger but more people go and it's spread across a longer period. Both parks have probably got the balance right based on their budget.

Both events could be better but both have done the best with the budgets given to them.