• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Chessington need to take a leaf out of Towers' book and add a major ride more often than once a decade.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

^ I think that is a bit unfair - the management really do make an effort! The halloween decorations looked great earlier in the week and it wasn't even Hocus Pocus yet as well. The visit really brought to my attention just how great some of the theming is there, and how with a lick of paint so much could be achieved.

Small park, where they spend next to nothing on the "mazes" or the appeal, but alternatively spend on park atmosphere (minus the presumably same soundtrack across entire park as they always do) vs park which clearly has spent majority of budget on the two mazes and little elsewhere. Swings and roundabouts.

Impressive they do this considering how pointless it is with only being open in the dark 2hrs at best.

Sam said:
Chessington need to take a leaf out of Towers' book and add a major ride more often than once a decade.

I bet the only ones that disagree are the higher echelons of Merlin management.

This is going to come across as a kind of mini review, but I'm going to use this style to work through my various points about the park, as I spent all of yesterday there. We had a brilliant day, regardless of the fact that it was cold, gloomy and slightly damp. Anyway, some of these points are very nit-picky, but I'll go over everything nonetheless.

Besides all the usual points about how the park is slowly falling to pieces, I still can't help but love the place. It just has so much charm about it and I'd really love to have seen it in its prime because it must have been quite something! ???

We started off on Black Buccaneer as we'd never been on that. Unfortunately, we spent the entire ride covering our ears because of three children squealing behind us, but the boat itself was fun and I loved the queue and theming elements. Okay, it's your standard pirate theming for a swinging ship, but it's still really enjoyable for how small it is. I also love the way it's set down from the main path, rather than being just slightly lower or in-line. It made the queue more effective as it slowly wormed its way towards the boat from the top of the hill, which was great!
Right, the boat itself needs some work, as parts of the theming looked very old and some was peeling off. There also needs to be some kind of cage (I'll say the same for Blade) for belongings as the ground and platform was completely soaked and the operator was adamant that my mums bag was to be placed in the large puddle which had formed on the step (in the end, she just sat with it behind her back and I placed my drinks beaker inside my coat). Also, a small child behind us stood-up whilst the ride was in-motion, but the operator didn't ask them not to do that after the ride had come to an end.

We then popped across for a bath on Bubbleworks! Again, I never had the chances to experience the original theme for the ride, but it still manages to remind me of my beloved Toyland Tours (God rest its soul :( ), so I can't hate it. It's fun, has better animatronics than Charlie & the Chocolate Factory.... and THE MUSIC!
Some of the fountains at the end need correcting (#getcorrected :p ) as they were aimed at the boats rather than over the top of them, various bits of theming require new paint, the walls in the queue were still bland, the posts in the queue had paint peeling off of them and the place needed a general tidy-up. I feel that the queue could do with more posters to help and the posts could easily be painted in an hour as it's only about two or three of them. The inside of the ride needs cleaning over closed season or a more regular clean on quite days, before guests reach that area of the park.
Other than that, the ride was fine and who can argue with a 15 minute queue when you waited twice that for your first ever ride on the prior visit? -__-

Vampire now! The queue was apparently 70 minutes, so we proceeded to nearly swallow our own tongues (THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A QUIET DAY :'( ) and then left. We should have probably gone into the queue to see, but my dad convinced me otherwise and Vampire remained on our to-do list. We headed for the zoo to look around the area we'd not previously explored (where the Tigers and lions are).
Anyway, it turns out that the queue time board is very, very wrong as we went back to it later on and the time was the same, but the queue was actually about 35 minutes. Curses! But the zoo was as enjoyable and interesting as ever and seeing creatures you've never seen before is always good! But I feel that something more could be done with the plot of land next to the Reindeer enclosure. Obviously, the animals can't be too tall as the Safari Skyway goes right over it, but a new enclosure would not only help bring more to the zoo, but give the Safari Skyway something new to look at.

Once we'd exited the zoo, we had a go on the dilapidated Safari Skyway, as my mum and brother enjoy it, even though the wind had picked-up and water was dripping in from the roof. As much as it's a decent attraction, it really does need some love. The paint on the track is coming away (much like the paint on most other things at the park) and the trains are very tatty.
I feel that a new monorail system would be much better than what we have at the moment. It could do with being extended further towards where the Zufari attraction will open to provide a different way to view the area and allow people to see more animals too. Obviously they can't make the trains too long, but I feel that an extra car would make all the difference. New on-ride audio wouldn't go amiss either, as the guy sounds like he's falling asleep.

Once we'd got off the Skyway, they decided to go over to the Children's Petting Zoo. Fortunately, the animals were having some lunch ( :p ), so I persuaded them to give the Runaway Train a go. I'd already been on it, but they hadn't, and a queue of only two seconds couldn't be missed!
For all the negatives regarding the Runaway Train, such as the crumbling mountain, worn track, slow ride ops, lack of Western music for the Halloween track and the fact that the ride crawls back into the station after two circuits, I still think this is a decent ride. There's something I love about well-themed compact rides, as it's always tricky to do more with them, but the Runaway Train hits the nail on the head and the sense of its small scale is lost as the theming elements and queue makes it impossible to see all of the ride at once. It's a clever trick and it's obvious that it's one of Wardley's rides.

We went back to Transylvania to have lunch in the BK as we've never been in there, and so, never been able to appreciate the level of awesomeness within! :p Besides the fact that BK is meh, I'll also point out that their hot drinks machine was broken and there was an endless stream of guests wanting coffee, tea and hot chocolate (not good when it's so cold :( ). Whilst eating my meal (first ever BK with no gristle whatsoever :D ), I noticed that the skeleton hanging in the tree had its feet missing and the bats in the tree had a thick layer of dust weighing them down. The whole place was quite dirty and there was only one guy cleaning a room that was packed with hungry park guests! The skeleton's lack of feet wasn't really that noticeable, but the dusty bats could easily be amended.

After lunch, we decided to give-in and look at a queue time board for Vampire. We saw that it read 35 minutes now and went back across to the ride entrance. We found that the queue was much smaller than the time being advertised outside of the ride, so that needs sorting.
Into the queue we went and I could sense a big grin on my face as the trains swung over the top of us and away into the trees again. For a ride that's now over 20 years old, built by a company who's owner admitted to not really being that good at making rides ( Ron! :p ), it's sensational! But my grin soon went when I spotted the theming in the queue, and the cables everywhere for the lighting. I think it has got to the point now where the two figures in the queue aren't really worth saving, and the park could do with nagging Merlin to let them have some replacements.
The figure with the cauldron is by far the worst piece of theming that I've ever seen in any theme park. It has tipped over, its legs have crumbled away, you can see that its face is starting to come off, the cauldron has been tipped over as well (and you can see the yellow foam under it) and also, a giant rotting log has fallen and has crushed the two pieces of theming. It's quite embarrassing for one of this countries premier attractions.
Anyway, we spotted the usual bad points of Vampire, such as the state of the track (needs painting, desperately), the random painted mess around the base of the supports closest to the queue (could be fixed by painting the supports and then wrapping the base of them with some kind of mesh cover before adding fake vines around them so that guests can't mess them up and they look better), the chipped railings, quiet station audio (a crime against humanity!), stupidly loud staff on the PA system, worn graves and a lack of cobwebs and gravestones on the station. All of these points need sorting, but listing them is starting to become tedious.
I'll focus on the trains now, and the fact that the current ride operators don't have a clue about speed. We all know that they're only running the three trains now because the ops can't load the trains and send them out fast enough, but yesterday really did take the biscuit! They were popping the restraints back up, the ops were trudging around the station, and by the time they had the train ready, the second train was already in the brakes, waiting to go. I used Sam's Throughput calculator and clocked a measly 719 riders per hour for Vampire and it was taking them two minutes and 40 seconds for another train to dispatch. What the actual hell!?
Apart from all of that, my ride on Vampire reminded me of how great it is, despite how much is still wrong with it. The fact that there's so much wrong with it and I can still, somehow, enjoy it... is really quite incredible! -__-
Before I move on, I'll just say why I love Vampire. It starts with the queue and the way it twists around and under parts of the ride. You get such fantastic views whilst waiting down there, and again, you know it's one of Wardley's creations from the fact that you see a different part of the ride from each area of the queue, but never all of it and never the finale. The lack of a cattle pen is also great! I also love the sound of the trains clanking up the lift and the rush of air as they swing over your head. I love the way the ground trembles before you see the ride, as if a large monster is smashing its way towards you! But there's also the layout and the way it used to duel with itself (as one train headed back to the station, another was swinging off the first lift). It's such a fantastic effect and really does add to the queue experience, so the fact that it doesn't do this any more is a bit of a disaster. Then we have the way it clips through the trees after the helix, the way it swings out over the Transylvania area and the way it builds towards the cave finale and one last blast of speed into the station. Even the station oozes theatricality with the darkness, aged lighting, the giant Gothic candelabras which flicker and animate the faux cobwebs as if there's something crawling on them, the amazing creepy organist, the cheesy music and the lighting effects.

The day that Vampire thrills its final victims will be a sad day for me indeed.

Once me and my dad regrouped with my brother and mum, we went to Hocus Pocus Hall to see what the Bewitched aspect would bring. For such a horrific queue of 25 minutes, what was inside this time around was completely mind-numbingly dull. I actually prefer it without the added actors as they served no purpose other than to slow the experience down, build a big queue and remove the great effects picked-up with the glasses by not allowing people to have them. Not very Halloween-ish at all! :p 3.5/10

Few... right, next we went to Rattlesnake for a spot of hairpin turn torture! As much as I think whoever designed these things is a complete and utter tool, I do love Rattlesnake and its queue. I really do love a ride which makes up for a lack of enjoyment with theming as you can see that they put a hell of a lot of effort in to make it more than just a standard wild mouse. Together with the Runaway Train and Vampire, these three rides have an undeniable charm that Dragon's Fury just fails to achieve. You just know there's something wrong when you think more of an off-the-shelf mouse over a custom spinning coaster with big drops and sharp turns! :p
But Rattlesnake is another ride which has clearly seen better days. The lack of spikes on the cartoony cacti is depressing and the whimpering bell toll is pathetic (even more pointless than Alton's Runaway Mine Train bell!). But the state of the track isn't as noticeable ad it is for the other rides, as it just kind of looks right.
Anyway, I clocked a throughput of 428 riders per hour for Rattlesnake, but it was probably closer to around 300, what with so many cars being sent out with only two or three riders. Compare that to the modern Dragon's Fury which only achieved 566 riders per hour which had cars being sent with no more than three, so that would probably be closer to about 450 riders per hour.

Not good for two major rides.

After we thawed-out with a hot chocolate under the heaters in Transylvania, we looked around SeaLife whilst the rain went over. For what's effectively a giant tent, inside is actually not as bad as you might think. As much as I'd love to see it turned into a proper building which fits with the style of Hocus Pocus Hall's building, I think I could survive if it doesn't ever get changed. I would however genuinely love for a SeaWorld Wild Arctic-esque motion simulator entrance to give the attraction another dimension, make it more popular and then allow it to stagger groups entering. I imagine two simulators that seat around 16 people each, and as one unloads, another is in-motion and the batch of guests queuing are waiting to board the next ride. Then, on quite days, just operate the one simulator. It's not important, but it's an idea.

As expected, the rain had gone by the time we exited the SeaLife Aquarium and we strolled across to see what Tomb Blaster's queue was like. It turned out to be walk-on! :D As much as I hate the train system and prefer Duel style single cars, I still think it's a decent ride. I especially love the old effects, such as the jerky animatronics, UV paint and the music.
I unfortunately got a glimpse of the new queue fences. Urgh! They really are hideous and I don't care how anyone tries to portray them. They. Are. Ugly. Something needs to be added to them to cover them, such as some planks of wood and rope, or vines, or even some faux rock which matches the Tomb Blaster exterior. I also wish they'd get rid of the ridiculous videos and voice-over in the queue as they really are over the top. They make the 90's theming and effects across the park (which I love) seem up to date! :p

It was getting dark now, so we walked towards Mystic East and Wild Asia to enjoy the lighting and for me to get my first ride on Peeking Heights. Despite the fantastic views at the top, the wind was really ripping at our faces. Fortunately, we were the only ones in the queue, so we had the ride to ourselves. I still think it's an absolute joke that the park has such an attraction that can't be fully loaded. It needs replacing with another wheel though, not removing completely. It just seems right at Chessington, and again, without it, we wouldn't be able to get such marvellous views of the rest of the park and out as far as London without one. Oh, and riding it at night with all the park illuminated with various colours was pretty special indeed!nd to Wild Asia. I honestly didn't know the park had Lorikeets! :p But by then, their area had been closed because it was late, so I couldn't feed them! :( So after glancing at Kobra and ignoring the Tuk Tuk Turmoil bumper-cars because it still had a significant queue, we went back to Transylvania for 'VAMPIRE: The Haunting in the Hollows'.

'VAMPIRE: The Haunting in the Hollows' mini review:
I really enjoyed this attraction. It was simple, effective, tied-in with Vampire and Transylvania nicely and the actors and effects were great!

Before we entered, we queued beneath the section of track on Vampire which leads into the tunnel finale, opposite the brakes before its second lift. The woman guarding the entrance into Black Hollow forgot her lines, but she quickly flicked a piece of paper out and turned back to us without slipping out of character or showing any signs of embarrassment, so claps for her (though she shouldn't have forgotten the lines in the first place, really :p)!

The smell of some kind of cheap perfume wasn't nice as you entered, but after being informed about Dracula and his minions by Dr Van Helsing, and being warned by a servant about not trusting anyone in the village, we were rushed into a tent where a body lay flat beside another creepy looking actor.

Inside, it was obvious that the lights would eventually go out and the body on the slab in front of us would awake as a vampire, but everyone else in my group seemed to get a shock when the inevitable did happen, so I guess that was all that was required from that aspect of the maze! :p

The mist effects after this tent scene for the apparent arrival of werewolves (though we eventually found out that there weren't actually any) was effective, as was the howling noise too! But we weren't outside for long as we were rushed into Dracuala's abode for the final section to the attraction.

The finale was great. There could have been a few more actors to jump out at us, but considering the park is aimed at families with young children, it wasn't bad. The room was nearly impossible to walk through for the thick smoke, and being at the front meant I had to put my hands out to make sure I didn't walk into an actor or a piece of theming! :p

To improve on this maze, I'd like to see two actors dressed as werewolves chase us into the final section and we should really have been confronted by Dracula at the end. Besides all of that, great work, Chessington!

It was now 6:50pm, so we made a final dash to Vampire for a night time ride! Again, the queue time was wrong (read 50 minutes but was actually 30), but we checked it out anyway.
I have to say, Vampire at night is spectacular. The lighting is just incredible and it really puts Alton Towers to shame. In fact, the whole of Chessington at night was outstanding and Jared's picture really does capture everything! Vampire was bathed in all kinds of colours and best of all, we couldn't see that tatty queue-line theming elements! :D
We decided to go right at the back this time, but waiting in the station was a nightmare this time round. The operators looked confused and the restraints popped-open as they were about to send the train, so we had to wait even longer. Also, I really do wish the staff using the PA system would say "Sit back, hold on tight! The Vampire is taking flight!" instead of, "Sit back and hold tight! You're in..................... for a fright!" :mad:
On the ride now, and the first half was excellent (intense and you have to love the way it whips you around the corners!). My foot clipped a branch after the helix, and the final run before the brakes before the second lift was pitch black. Amazing!
Once our train had crawled to the top of the lift for the section over Transylvania, we found ourselves sweeping past the tops of trees again for the final cave section. I have to say, that section isn't half as fun at the back, as the train starts to slow down and those closer to the back don't get kicked-out as much, and it's not as intense either. :/

So yes, Vampire at night is incredible, but riding at the back is only good for the first half of the ride.

And then it was back to the car park. :( And bloody hell, was it muddy! If there's anything that needs sorting at Chessington, it's the car park. The mats did very little and there was no lighting whatsoever, so we had no idea where we were putting our feet until we got back to our car! They could really do with adding gravel if they can't have any concrete for whatever reason, but lighting is a must. Especially for the exit road.

So yes, decent day at Chessington but there were many things that could have been better. And I agree with both sides that Alton Towers could do with taking a leaf out of Chessington's book and Chessington could do with looking at how Alton Towers does Scarefest.
The atmosphere was great, but more could have been done to make it a truly epic Halloween bash!

Next time I'd like to see:

• More actors around the park
  • Varied music instead of the one track throughout the park (and leave the Runaway Train's music alone because it's not scary!)
  • An improved Hocus Pocus Hall Bewitched attraction with maybe the odd witch jumping out or a few special spell effects, etc...
  • More Halloween theming across the park
  • Better ride operations for a busier time of year
  • Vampire's maze improved
  • A special Halloween park map (I was gutted to receive a standard map when I asked for one :( )
  • Open an hour longer and have an evening show to give people a reason to stay (that big stage for Madagascar is such a bloody waste of space, it's unreal!)
  • Move Big Bad Boo to somewhere better as the set looked pathetic and the crowds blocked the paths, so it's obvious that people are willing to see these shows

Thanks for reading this if you got this far! :p

Your throughputs would be completely wrong I'm afraid - as vampire could struggle to get that on 2 trains even with normal loading, and I believe that'd be high for rattle and fury as well.

Nice to know operations haven't improved though. Shame really, it's the one thing they should really push when it's busy!

Yeah, but it's FAR easier for Chessie to do the lovely park lighting they do because
a) They're tiny, so don't have to worry about safety on loooong stretches of path (because there are none).
b) It's not like they do much else for halloween.
c) They don't have to hire massive quantities of lighting equipment for a big event at the end of the season so can spend that on a few cheap lights on all their rides instead...

Yeah, the park atmosphere feels better in all areas, but that's half achieved by intimacy.

Also, a 7pm close is embarassing, and that's from a big Chessie fan!

My throughputs are just based on the Throughput Calculator's stats that I took yesterday, so I've no idea how accurate they are, though I did state smaller numbers for Rattlesnake and Dragon's Fury due to the fact that they never send the cars out with four people in them.

Regarding the lighting, Alton Towers used to have great lighting as well, but it gets worse as each year goes by. Look at Nemesis and Th13teen and compare them to last year and the year before. Alton Towers can do long stretches of lighting easily and the paths between Mutiny and Katanga and Katanga to Gloomy Wood are still great.

But yes, 7pm wasn't a good time to close, but the park was pretty much empty by about 6:30pm. :/

BigAl said:
But yes, 7pm wasn't a good time to close, but the park was pretty much empty by about 6:30pm. :/

Yup, and had it been open till 8, it would have been pretty much empty at 7:30, if it was 9, 8:30. That's how Chessie goes, 7pm close is utterly pathetic.

Magrathea said:
Yeah, but it's FAR easier for Chessie to do the lovely park lighting they do because
a) They're tiny, so don't have to worry about safety on loooong stretches of path (because there are none).
b) It's not like they do much else for halloween.
c) They don't have to hire massive quantities of lighting equipment for a big event at the end of the season so can spend that on a few cheap lights on all their rides instead...

Yeah, the park atmosphere feels better in all areas, but that's half achieved by intimacy.

Also, a 7pm close is embarassing, and that's from a big Chessie fan!

Dealing with this point by point, to both stick up for Chessie, and condemn Merlin.

a) I wouldn't say Chessie is Tiny exactly. I think it is quite deceptively big in fact! I walk around frequently with a disabled person at these parks, Alton, Chessie, Thorpe in the big to small scale. Gives you a different perception of a park that's for sure. Chessie feels big enough but not too big. Thorpe cramped, Alton ludicrous (obvious, rather picturesque reasons lol!) - Certainly their size difference, is not commensurate with the effort difference in key areas, that's for sure.

And I wouldn't say Altons main areas are much bigger than Chessie, or harder to put some effort into, like, any effort for example (forbidden valley, x-sector etc - bugger all effort at all or staff pay for it!)

b) They have mazes which suit a very young audience, they put lots of animal shows etc on, and spend excessively as I have found all season on maintaining a zoo. Their attractions are simply different. They usually have quite a few shows around, actors on park, and a terrific atmosphere. Smashes the pants off AT easily.

c) We know AT is a business right? I'd be rubbing my hands at having a big fireworks event, including those big lights how can it even be close to a loss making venture, and therefore excuse poor efforts for Scarefest. That just makes no business sense. A P/L sheet would prove me wrong, happy to be so if anyone has proof. Also, AT charges extra for their Halloween events, considerably so actually. 9 quid for two mazes, in off-peak time!

Also, at full capacity you have 5600 car parking spaces - which conservatively saying just half pay, brings in 17 grand alone! Very few vouchers are valid, upselling galore - I just cannot see how an extra event, that see's the tills ringing, can be mentioned in any way shape or form in relation to Scarefest or to deride Chessie's achievements. Again if you were referring to Scarefest, they also charge premium for their mazes.

Chessie has an atmosphere that is achieved by effort, it creates an intimacy - the only difference is there isn't as far to walk between areas, I don't really care if AT only stick arbitrary lighting in connective areas, but they don't even bother with the major attractions!

They're being squeezed from above, that's obvious to anyone who cares to look closely.

Personally I feel sorry for the managers at both parks, but Chessie maintain a spark I haven't felt at Alton for a couple of years at least - and that is with attractions that are arguably of a far lower standard!

With what Chessie have available, they do simply magnificent.

Chessie's always been quiet after 6, apart from their main day or two. But it should be no excuse, towers was quiet after 6 this past week yet manages to keep its 9pm ride closes!

I agree entirely with the ride close issue.

Been involved in much discussion about it.

In Thorpe Chessie and Alton Towers, Merlin have three very cherished and special parks on their hands, and they're draining the from them all in my opinion.

They are custodians, whom have an opportunity to make good money from them, and the parks are not treated with enough care or respect in my opinion.

Also you will find, anything be it man made, or natural, if treated badly or misused for a period of time, will start to fight back.

Was at Chessington today for the Chessington Buzz meet and all I can say is, Towers take a few tips from Chessie about lighting! Honestly, the lighting is absolutely amazing around the park as well as theming!

Though the park really needs to go back to 8pm closing, that last maybe half hour of darkness is not good at all for night riding. Even though we all did a Vampire dark ride but that was right at 7pm on the dot.

TheMan said:
In Thorpe Chessie and Alton Towers, Merlin have three very cherished and special parks on their hands, and they're draining the fun from them all in my opinion.

Nail on head. Post of the year. No more questions asked.

I often wonder about whether or not it'd be a good move to take Quantum from Thorpe Park and let Chessington have it so that Thorpe can remove Neptune's Beach, Wet Wet Wet, Depth Charge and maybe even Flying Fish for a new themed area with another coaster and possibly a new flat too? Quantum could be much more popular at Chessington and it would cost far less to move it and retheme it over buying a new ride.

Chessie already did the Magic Carpet thing years ago... Quantum also suffers from the whole being plonked into an area very few people actually go past, and is hidden by Rush...

Besides, Chessie needs NEW rides, not more unwanted cast offs from Thorpe...

That doesn't mean they can't have another flying carpet ride. Especially if it's themed differently rather than just being a carpet. What's the point in Thorpe having a ride that nobody wants to go on if it would suit Legoland or Chessington more?

And having Quantum doesn't mean they can't have new rides at all. In fact, it'd look very good if they could market two new rides and only have to buy one. Their 2014 hotel expansion will swallow most of their budget for that year, but a new flat on the park will attract guests rather than just a bigger hotel.

I completely agree about Quantum moving to Chessington.

It's one of my favourite rides at Thorpe. In fact, if the coasters are running poorly, it's occasionally my favourite ride at Thorpe. But it's a gem that's completely overshadowed. Like Al says, barely anybody goes on it at Thorpe. It's a small fish in a big pond, at Chessington it'd be a big fish in a small pond.

Besides, on a personal level Thorpe has more than enough to keep me entertained. Chessington, I struggle to spend a whole day there without getting bored. A couple of rides on Quantum each day would go some way towards rectifying that imbalance. :)

Cannot help but agree with this Quantum sentiment.

A decent family coaster and quantum makes a big, big difference to that park. Pretty much gives it a full line up that will allow the park to concentrate on other things.

If all that happens by 2016 (as has been discussed), that's a decent plan for getting the park back on track, along with if Merlin happen to pass a B&Q and buy a few tins of gloss!

The only problem is fitting the ride into the park without taking a space that could potentially be used for something big. As I've stated before, the games building in Pirates Cove could be demolished and that area is coincidentally exactly the right shape for a flying carpet ride.

As to how it would be themed, it could either be something Pirate related, but it could easily be something for Transylvania too.

There is one idea that I did draw-up a while ago that I could find, but I may need to create something new which better explains how a carpet ride could be given a spooky/scary theme.

:)

No doubt knowing you mate, it'll be better than plans actually submitted by Merlin lol!