• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Isn’t it fairly normal on shuttle swing launch type coasters not to allow people to the air gates until the train has passed at speed.
I’m not sure, but on things like family boomerangs, they don’t seem to have a problem with you standing behind the airgates while the train passes through, as far as I can remember.

Going to commit the cardinal critical sin of suggesting that this looks rubbish without having visited, and worse, with no current plans to do so!

Having visited Merlin's first attempt at a Jumanji 'universe' at Gardaland, this one looks to suffer from the reality that it's just a fairly charmless IP. In some ways, I can see the logic behind the deal. Merlin get an accessible Hollywood franchise to slap onto a broadly themed and universal 'Jungle' area, but what is here looks paper thin and banal, even compared to decades-old Wild Asia, or what MMM have done with Alton Manor. At least the lack of screen-based attractions or pre-shows have ensured Chessington haven't been forced to employ a Surrey-leage MMA fighter with acting aspirations to portray a bloke who looks a bit like The Rock. But the printed and laminated signs in the queue introducing the strengths and weaknesses of the (absent) characters from the series? 'Easter eggs' for Jumanji 'superfans', Honestly, who could care less?

Curious that, being an animal park, the park didn't add any animals to the land themed on... animals? Possibly a condition of the IP license?

I am genuinely intrigued to hear how the coaster rides, though.

Last edited:
I mean if they have the staff so that the bays are filled the moment the train is aligning back into the station (it does stop and pause for a second before moving forward to park) and the faff of unloading you could probably get the gates filled before you are ready to load anyway.

The issue is after opening season when they want to save money they will cut staff and only load the airgates once the platform staff are free from unloading the train.

I mean if they have the staff so that the bays are filled the moment the train is aligning back into the station (it does stop and pause for a second before moving forward to park) and the faff of unloading you could probably get the gates filled before you are ready to load anyway.

The issue is after opening season when they want to save money they will cut staff and only load the airgates once the platform staff are free from unloading the train.
And because the exits are on the same side as the gates they'll need to wait for the previous guests to fully leave before they open the gates.

Well there goes their plan to have 1 minute dispatches which were mentioned early on in planning. Now going to be more 4 minutes if batching only to take place after unloading. Be lucky to get a throughput of 400 now! Can see many disappointing guests as we move into height of summer. Perhaps something like virtual queue sold out by 10:15am and still an hour plus wait when the time comes to ride.

On a positive note, I think that the area looks really nice, and very heavily detailed!

I’ve also heard some very good things about the coaster, with the launches being described as “snappy”, and the inversion being described as “quite forceful”!

Well there goes their plan to have 1 minute dispatches which were mentioned early on in planning. Now going to be more 4 minutes if batching only to take place after unloading. Be lucky to get a throughput of 400 now! Can see many disappointing guests as we move into height of summer. Perhaps something like virtual queue sold out by 10:15am and still an hour plus wait when the time comes to ride.

Based on off-ride video the ride cycle alone is 1min 20 (ish) you would need a 50 second turnaround to get a dispatch every 2 minutes which would give 840pph. I highly doubt they will be able to unload and reload the train in 50 seconds.

On a positive note, I think that the area looks really nice, and very heavily detailed!

I’ve also heard some very good things about the coaster, with the launches being described as “snappy”, and the inversion being described as “quite forceful”!
I do think the area looks decent, but I think the coaster is being described positively simply to build the hype around the attraction. I can't imagine that the launches or inversion are great, but I still have hopes of it being a fun ride!

I think the coaster looks interesting enough for it’s target market. It still seems like a sledgehammer to crack a nut from a manufacturer perspective but as it’s become more apparent that Merlin has likely done a deal with B&M the logic has seemed more sound.

Throughput is the bigger issue.

Aside from the capacity issue I don’t like this annoying height restriction which is kept tucked away on the website:

“Those between 1.2m and 1.3m must be accompanied by an adult over the age of 16, while those a minimum height of 1.3m can ride alone.”

Going to be a selection of kids see the 1.2m restriction board and end up disappointed when it’s actually 1.3m without a parent.

Aside from the capacity issue I don’t like this annoying height restriction which is kept tucked away on the website:

“Those between 1.2m and 1.3m must be accompanied by an adult over the age of 16, while those a minimum height of 1.3m can ride alone.”

Going to be a selection of kids see the 1.2m restriction board and end up disappointed when it’s actually 1.3m without a parent.

The weird thing is why?

It’s not like the ride will be any safer with a 1.2m rider going on with a 1.4m rider.

I understand the logic on things like boat rides as it’s to have an older rider with young ones who need supervision to avoid falling out but with a coaster like this you are literally pinned in.