• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Sorry double post but was just informed by a friend of a friend (so take that for what it's worth but also you heard it here first :p ) that they have installed air-gates on Mandrill so you can wait on the platform now.
They had airgates on Mandrill last year, so unless they've installed airgates that are higher than the ones that were in there last year, having airgates in the station would make no difference.

It would be excellent if they have upgraded the airgates, though!

They would have just got the standard air gates that they're normally perfectly happy with but presumably someone got cold feet because of the way the train goes through the station at speed. I suspect no-one gave it any thought until it was already too late to do anything about it (at least not without closing the ride for at least a few days to modify/replace the gates).

In their defence, on most coasters if someone messes about and gets through/over the station gates you can just e-stop the ride. In this case, if someone gets into a dangerous area you might not be able to prevent the train entering the station

That said, it is normal to have no barrier between platforms and trains going 100mph+ which not only would kill you if you hit one but the turbulence could knock a child off their feet if they stood too close. I guess there the height gap reminds (most) people to not do anything stupid.

I say this as seriously as it's possible to be over what is ultimately a family rollercoaster in a world with much more important things going on, but Dragon's Fury's availability is bad enough that I wouldn't mind them just tearing it down and putting it something else there. It's toss of a coin on any given visit whether you'll actually get to ride what is (IMO) one of the best things at the park.

I guess there the height gap reminds (most) people to not do anything stupid.

I think this is significant, plus with Mandrill Mayhem the train extends a long way beyond the track so it's not immediately obvious where you could safely stand. Another example is the difference between Vekoma's standard boomerangs and THE GIB. The former normally has standard airgates, the latter 2m tall gates.

I say this as seriously as it's possible to be over what is ultimately a family rollercoaster in a world with much more important things going on, but Dragon's Fury's availability is bad enough that I wouldn't mind them just tearing it down and putting it something else there. It's toss of a coin on any given visit whether you'll actually get to ride what is (IMO) one of the best things at the park.

Dragon’s Fury is a good ride but whole Land of The Dragons area feels dated. It would be sad to see it go but imagine if they replaced it with a Mack Xtreme Spinner. Dragons Fury seems such a faff with its loading procedure and limited throughout and the park could definitely do with a ride that gets through the queue line fast like the Xtreme Spinners do.

has it had an updated control system, i recall in 2023 spinball at alton had one and I haven't seen that down much, since they did it on spinball could they do something similar to dragons fury?

Fury wouldn't take too much. Bin FT, heavily clamp down on RAP, edit the brakes to allow full loading and have all cars available

Fury wouldn't take too much. Bin FT, heavily clamp down on RAP, edit the brakes to allow full loading and have all cars available

Binning FT isn't realistic. RAP clamp down has allegedly happened so we'll see if it has an impact. The reliability of the ride itself seems the biggest issue.

Tbh i don't like the ride and would be happy to see it go, though i'd miss the noise. The same for Rattlesnake, which admittedly i haven't been on nor do i have any desire to.