• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Absolutely pathetic, no reason why they couldn't send someone to toddle down the hill to vampire kitchen and get some from there unless there's a parkwide salt emergency.

I'm there tomorrow.. won't be having fish and chips if there's no salt though, it's just not the same

Absolutely pathetic, no reason why they couldn't send someone to toddle down the hill to vampire kitchen and get some from there unless there's a parkwide salt emergency.

I'm there tomorrow.. won't be having fish and chips if there's no salt though, it's just not the same
You could toddle down the hill to Vampire Kitchen and get some from there, for your fish and chips, unless there's a park wide salt emergency. 😉

The park are really taking a battering at the moment.
Not a bad idea for Merlin to cut their loses and dump the park out of their hands given how bad it seems to be compared to Towers and Thorpe.

They won't want to if it meant losing their monopoly but all the same, I wouldn't be surprised if that thought as crossed the mind of those in higher up places...

I can't see Merlin selling any major UK assets while the MAP dominates the sector. If this domination ends (possibly due to Universal or guests getting fed up with Merlin) then they might look at selling some less profitable attractions.

Not a bad idea for Merlin to cut their loses and dump the park out of their hands given how bad it seems to be compared to Towers and Thorpe.

Bad in what sense?

They just spent an estimated £17m on World of Jumanji and have a water park planned, doesn't reek of any intention to cut their losses.

For the target family demographic i'd argue it's a better park than either AT or TP.

It's not without it's problems but they seem fairly universal across the Merlin parks.

Bad in what sense?

They just spent an estimated £17m on World of Jumanji and have a water park planned, doesn't reek of any intention to cut their losses.

For the target family demographic i'd argue it's a better park than either AT or TP.

It's not without it's problems but they seem fairly universal across the Merlin parks.
It does feel like Chessington is more neglected than the other parks.

Our perceptions of the park being “bad” from an enthusiast point of view might be quite different to how the GP view the park, let alone how Merlin view it as doing. The future of the parks is likely to be determined by the amount of money they are generating for the company (and perhaps potential for growth) rather than us guys slating them for their operations, ride availability, queue times, lack of salt, etc. If we assume that Chessington is doing well for Merlin then why would they want to sell it?

Last edited:
Chessington is struggling with the same lack of maintenance Towers are dealing with but worse as several rides have lost trains over the years. Poor operations (and poor design in some areas) are also playing a part. If Merlin were willing to spend the money they could get everything running at full capacity again and redesign Zufari station which would help the park cope on busy days. They could also do a proper Christmas event rather than the lousy offerings they've had recently if they were willing to pay for the extra maintenance staff.

Looking at the ride availability page, it's a bit ambiguous but does it mean Tiger Rock, Rattlesnake and Zufari are closed on off-peak days? https://www.chessington.com/plan-your-visit/resort-information/ride-availability/
1712090507761.png

Its an awful lot of days to have 3 major rides closed in my opinion.

I'm all for the closing a selection of rides for a few hours on days its very quiet (queues 10 mins of less) but to have rides all day is unacceptable in my opinion.

Another poor decision from Chessington ...