• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
Apparently, there are now more and more people who think that China should have to compensate Britain and the other western countries for the amount of economic damage done by coronavirus, which in Britain's case is forecast at £350bn: https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1...-china-compensation-fee-henry-Jackson-society
I don't personally think it's fair to solely blame China, as a virus like this is difficult to contain, and there are other things that could have been done by other countries earlier on to prevent mass damage.
But it was their incompetence that allowed it to get out. Not reporting it to WHO sooner. Failing to contain it. Under reporting how bad it was.

Surely if the rest of the world sues China, the rest of the world suffers too, because China is the world's 2nd largest economy, and if they're compromised, then the rest of the world will suffer too due to the world economy going down again?

Besides, I still don't think it's fair to put the blame solely on China. I don't think there's any particular person or country to blame here; I think it's just one of those things that happened out of the blue.

These people are even trying to get the UN involved to make China pay. If this gets anywhere, then I fear that the global relations with China could go sour. And I don't think that having a bad relationship with the world's 2nd largest economy is where any country wants to be...

We rely too much on China. They make everything!
Let the world shrink.
Make our own stuff again

Only because we want cheap tat shite we allow China to be so big

Letting the world shrink would have catastrophic effects for all of us. There are certain luxuries we enjoy now that wouldn't be possible if we shut our borders and did things ourselves.

We would be much poorer if we made everything ourselves. A lot of products made in this country are exported and that's what makes us money.

I don't personally think it's fair to solely blame China, as a virus like this is difficult to contain, and there are other things that could have been done by other countries earlier on to prevent mass damage.

Why not? It came from China, it is believed to have come from eating endangered species (where most illegally hunted animals are either sold, or killed and used for medicinal purposes), they knew about the virus weeks if not months in advance, they tried to cover it up, and they have not been truthful with the reporting. Absolutely they should be held accountable. They had a warning with the original SARS and didnt learn, and having seen some of these illegal markets back open again, I doubt they will learn again this time until the world as one takes a stand against them.

If the world wants to make China listen the best way to do this is stop buying their goods. We as consumers should make an effort to check where products are made and not purchase them. Unfortunately for many on here, that means no new shiny iPhones!

Why not? It came from China, it is believed to have come from eating endangered species (where most illegally hunted animals are either sold, or killed and used for medicinal purposes), they knew about the virus weeks if not months in advance, they tried to cover it up, and they have not been truthful with the reporting. Absolutely they should be held accountable. They had a warning with the original SARS and didnt learn, and having seen some of these illegal markets back open again, I doubt they will learn again this time until the world as one takes a stand against them.

If the world wants to make China listen the best way to do this is stop buying their goods. We as consumers should make an effort to check where products are made and not purchase them. Unfortunately for many on here, that means no new shiny iPhones!
Because a virus of this nature, where so many people are asymptomatic or have very mild illness, is extremely hard to contain. Also, I think there are measures that could have been taken earlier in other countries that would have mitigated the harm. I don't think there's any way that this virus could really have been stopped in its early stages, and I don't think that there's really anyone to blame for what's happening now. It's just one of those non-typical things that happens in life.

If we make China pay while discounting the missteps made by other countries, then I think we will all suffer unnecessarily, as China is the world's 2nd largest economy, and if they collapse, we will collapse too. And surely we should be forgiving China, not forcing them to pay us. If we want to build a better world after this crisis, then we all have to work together and cooperate, and the thing that will make every country in the world cooperate is forgiveness. There are 7.5 billion people who live on this planet; if we all try and connect, work together, settle our differences and forgive each other for the things we did wrong as opposed to trying to punish each other and argue with one another, then the world will be sorted a lot more quickly.

But all those infected people that China knew about. Didn’t tell anyone and let them leave the country to spread it around the globe.
How can we restrict on something we dont know about

I guess my counter argument to that would be if they treated animals better, didn't try and eat everything that moved, stopped the illegal markets and consumption of endangered species then we wouldn't be in this mess to start with....

Isn't it a little bit soon to be playing the blame game?

We should probably focus on managing the crisis first and work together. There are certainly lessons to be learned from China if the number of new cases there has flatlined, as they claim.

Typical rubbish from the Daily Express.

You could not get China to pay a penny even if you tried.

Well, the novelty of everyone trying their best to stay at home unless for essentials or exercise wore off after about a week and a half didn't it? Just absolute muppets everywhere. The sun came out today and according to the high level of traffic on the road there was double the amount of essential journeys today compared with the same day last week? Gotta give a shout out to the group of 10-12 adults sitting around near the side of the road getting boozed up too. Then when I get home my next door neighbour has not 1 but 2 window/door fitters vans on his drive obviously doing some work for him (proven by the banging noises). Absolutely pathetic country this is. May as well just call off this 'lockdown' or whatever they think it is and just let everyone get on with it and die. Oh yeah, also, people at supermarkets can't even follow directional arrows to follow a one-way system and then pull a face like you've poked them in the eye when you just point out that they need to be more mindful about what it's trying to achive.

I give it another week, tops and if the Gov dont show a little bit of relaxing the "lockdown" people will crack

and completely ignore any social distancing and we will be back to square one

Compliance around here is good from what I can see. Report people who're taking the mick on 101.

I've honestly failed to see much flouting in the last week, and looking at my Facebook feed the same seems to be true of all my friends. I do feel that those claiming otherwise are just looking to stir trouble.