• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
I think we are already in one of those pandemics like the Spanish flu if not worse.

Current figures are 18% go serious, 9% critical with 50% of critical then dying.

Personally my concern is more about parents, grand parents , loved ones rather than my health.

Seriously for your own emotional health you need to relax a little bit, there is no major government conspiracy (I hate this government so trust me I would be the first to shout if there was).

To be honest, I think one of the biggest impacts will be on our mental health. It is so easy to get carried away in these situations and especially if you have children, elderly or otherwise vulnerable people to think about, it is so difficult to keep anxiety under control.

To some extent though you do have some control over whether you get it or not. You could choose to not go to work, pull your kids out of school, not go outside for a few months.

A would say a situation you have no control over would be a war or natural disaster (like flooding)

I think that the basic gist is; we don't really know yet. Everything's very uncertain, because coronavirus is a new disease and no one really knows what impact it will have.

In other news, I just found this rather intriguing article from BBC News: https://apple.news/AEUSPlJwQQIajCXxmpclmEQ
Interestingly, the WHO has said that it would have originally expected "wide contagion" by now, and has praised the current containment efforts around the world.

I think we are already in one of those pandemics like the Spanish flu if not worse.

Current figures are 18% go serious, 9% critical with 50% of critical then dying.

Personally my concern is more about parents, grand parents , loved ones rather than my health.

I have mentioned this before but Spanish Flu killed the healthy, that’s why it was such a disaster. Covid-19 doesn’t do that.

But you do.
Lock the door.
Admit no one.
Burn anything the comes through the letter box.
Maybe in 6 to 8 months it will be safe to venture outside
Maybe.
If you are that worried then best to just never go out anyway. You might get run over, or in a traffic incident, anything could happen. 1000 people die each year just from falling down the stairs but no one is trying to ban stairs.

I’m surprised I leave the house. The amount of what ifs that go through my head every day.
What if I fell down the stairs.
What if I cross the road, trip and get run over by a bus.
What if all this is a dream and I’m lying in a hospital bed in a coma.
:(

I have mentioned this before but Spanish Flu killed the healthy, that’s why it was such a disaster. Covid-19 doesn’t do that.

Not entirely true, there have been a lot of deaths amongst people under 45 , the doctor who blew the whistle on this was in his 30s as were other medics in China. There have also been others in their 30s and 40s around the world with no underlying health conditions. Would be good if the scientists could understand why this may be the case.

Not entirely true, there have been a lot of deaths amongst people under 45 , the doctor who blew the whistle on this was in his 30s as were other medics in China. There have also been others in their 30s and 40s around the world with no underlying health conditions. Would be good if the scientists could understand why this may be the case.

Because sometimes random deaths occur that don’t fit the trend. Humans are not machines we are complex and scientists look at trends in these cases.

Children are mostly showing only mild symptoms, adults mild to moderate and elderly moderate to severe in the trends.

Death rate has dropped to 1% on latest figures.

What figures show the death rate at 1% because everywhere I see shows around 3% at the moment...

The latest BBC report states:

The evidence suggests just over half of people infected develop symptoms and 1% of those infected could die. The elderly and those with existing health conditions are the most at risk.