• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
As for getting back in to reality, maybe some people need to start taking this seriously now.

I take driving a car and crossing the road both very seriously, but I don't go around worrying about it and causing wide spread panic

The government seem to have a plan which is good. That plan though is entitled ‘what to expect’ - which says to me they are expecting it to reach the levels needed to close schools etc.
I am personally worried by this but also realistic enough to realise this could go one of two ways. We may control it here and it may not be a major issue - or it could effect a fifth of the population like the government plan states

Government up to date information and advice can be found here

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-public

On another note - I am reading more and more theories about this being a illness developed for warfare in China. What are people’s thoughts on this? It’s convenient Wuhan has some large biochemical laboratories.....

Yep, was the basis for this post of mine a few days ago

Is it just me or is it a coincidence that the virus started in Wuhan China and they just also happen to have a bio research facilities there, I'm just saying o_O

tenor.gif

There is always time to panic !
Those that don’t die.

Ok so the WHO have just announced that this is much more serious than the flu, and have produced a CFR of 3.4%

This is 30 times higher than flu (for the UK) and higher than the Spanish flu. WHO scientists have even suggested this may be Disease X they have warned about for years.

https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/det...the-media-briefing-on-covid-19---3-march-2020

As for getting back in to reality, maybe some people need to start taking this seriously now.

From what I understand, the 3.4% from WHO is a world wide figure. Mortality rates here in the UK are still expected to be 1%. This takes into consideration that mortality rates will be higher in certain countries where healthcare is not up to the same standard as ours or non existence.

I must admit, I'm surprised at how unconcerned most people I speak to are. Even though it might not seem like it, I am still quite scared about the virus, personally, although I don't think it will end up being quite as morbid as some of the things I've seen online imply. Containment efforts seem to be working well so far.

This concerns me. Because of people don't take it seriously we risk spreading it. Containment won't keep up, we still have 2 cases with untraceable links to where they caught it from.
What would you suggest I do differently?

Well those that havent been taking it seriously maybe need to focus on washing hands, hand santizer etc and ensuring they do their best to not spread any illness (coughing unless into a tissue etc). If you dont take this seriously then chances are people wont do these things. And I dont mean you personally, I mean society in general.

I was interested to hear your thoughts as I think we're at different angles on this, but it seems we're in agreement here.

I don't buy into the hysteria and panic that Covid-19 is causing because I don't see what good that does, but I do take the sensible steps like hand washing, alcohol gels, avoiding touching my face etc... but then I always did that anyway so don't see any need to do anything different at this point.

Will everyone follow the guide lines?

So far we have been told that face masks do not prevent the spread of the virus and could actually increase the chance of getting it, but yet they have sold out of face mask which means that the hospitals and dentist are desperately running low on them.

We been told that washing hands with soap and water is the most effective and that hand gels are not that good in preventing the spread, but yet people have gone out and cleared the shelf's of hand gel.

What ever advice we are given, people will still think that they know best and go and do the opposite.

Here is how the hairdressers in china are protecting themselves against the virus, fancy a hair cut?

https://nypost.com/2020/03/03/how-chinese-hairdressers-are-keeping-distance-amid-coronavirus-fears/

There will be 3 groups of people.

The oh its fine. Fuss about nothing.
This group carries on as normal with no precautions.

The there is something going on.
This group follows the advice and guidelines from the governments scientists.

The oh ****, where are the key to my bio protection bunker/ where is my end of the world sandwich board.
This group goes over the top with protection and grabs sudo science and miss information to feel like they are protected from the plague of death.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

So far we have been told that face masks do not prevent the spread of the virus and could actually increase the chance of getting it, but yet they have sold out of face mask which means that the hospitals and dentist are desperately running low on them.

We been told that washing hands with soap and water is the most effective and that hand gels are not that good in preventing the spread, but yet people have gone out and cleared the shelf's of hand gel.

What ever advice we are given, people will still think that they know best and go and do the opposite.

Here is how the hairdressers in china are protecting themselves against the virus, fancy a hair cut?

https://nypost.com/2020/03/03/how-chinese-hairdressers-are-keeping-distance-amid-coronavirus-fears/
But Roy, you’re forgetting that the British people (and people in general, for the record) have had enough of experts. ;)

I get the feeling our stubbornness and ignorance as a nation will make this outbreak worse than it should be.

I work across 3/4 supermarkets every day (on chocolate business) and the amount of disgusting tramps I'm seeing sneezing all over the shelves and trolleys is worrying. I'm washing my hands every half an hour or so at this rate.

When you think how many equally selfish people are travelling on the tube on a daily basis I think there could currently be thousands of cases not on the official figures.

You certainly have a point, I don't think we are an overly hygienic nation, although that is just my thoughts from what I have witnessed. The amount of people you see go to the toilet and not wash their hands is something that has always baffled me.

Yep, I popped in to Tesco yesterday and the number of people coughing without covering their mouths. And that is what I have been getting at in terms of people recognising the seriousness of this virus. I don't know if others noticed but the BBC News and other outlets have taken a significant change of tone with regards this virus since last night.

As for face masks and hand gel not being effective...

Face masks when used properly do prevent you catching it. By properly I mean they must form a seal around your nose and mouth. The NHS are using FFP3 standard, or N99 level masks. The virus particles cannot get through these. As for surgical masks, they will help stop the virus escaping through the mask if you have the illness, but wont stop you catching it. Medics use these to prevent US catching something off them.

In terms of hand gels, these also work provided they have a minimum alcohol content of 62%. They can be more effective than soap and water, particularly as not everyone has access to hot water! (think Alton Towers toilets).

Not touching your face is a challenge though. I'm more aware of it now, but even still, sometimes you rub your eye, or just scratch an itch on your face, then realise afterwards you did it. Bit late then!

Mobile phones are a biggie though. We may wash our hands, but then pick up and use our phones! Alcohol based wipes can be used to wipe these down, along with your office desks, though getting hold of them is a bit tricky.

I'm still in two minds about going to Alton for opening day. While people are mostly in the open air, being close to others crammed into queue lines, or the wicker man pre-show, or Hex for example may cause transmission should someone be there with the virus. Who knows. I'm going to wait a few days and see how the outbreak progresses before deciding.

Breaking news: Italy have closed all schools and colleges nationwide for at least the next two weeks to try and stop the spread of the virus.

120 Schools in France also done same.

It's getting scary now.

OK maybe a tiny possible glimmer of good news.

Researchers in China looked at 103 patients infected with Covid19 and found there are 2 strains of the virus now circulating. Type L and Type S.

Type S is the first one and is the one which made the jump from animal to human.

Type L was a mutation and they think its very aggressive. Most of the infections in Wuhan where type L . Around 3% were type S.

At present 70% of the infections in the world are type L - the aggressive strain. However, using samples recently taken they have found Type S infections to be the other 30% so its increasing.

They think because type L is too aggressive and the virus is burning itself out that Type S has emerged, which they think is a milder form and may explain why people have a mild form of the illness and dont get treatment, or even tested.

Early days as the sample size was so slow but very interesting. Maybe if this thing can be delayed and dragged out it will continue in its milder form, although, it could of course mutate again but for now, this is interesting news.

OK maybe a tiny possible glimmer of good news.

Researchers in China looked at 103 patients infected with Covid19 and found there are 2 strains of the virus now circulating. Type L and Type S.

Type S is the first one and is the one which made the jump from animal to human.

Type L was a mutation and they think its very aggressive. Most of the infections in Wuhan where type L . Around 3% were type S.

At present 70% of the infections in the world are type L - the aggressive strain. However, using samples recently taken they have found Type S infections to be the other 30% so its increasing.

They think because type L is too aggressive and the virus is burning itself out that Type S has emerged, which they think is a milder form and may explain why people have a mild form of the illness and dont get treatment, or even tested.

Early days as the sample size was so slow but very interesting. Maybe if this thing can be delayed and dragged out it will continue in its milder form, although, it could of course mutate again but for now, this is interesting news.
Source please