• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
That doesn't reflect the figures coming out of countries around the world.

BBC is the governments mouthpiece. If you look at the figures coming from other countries the CFR is around 3%. It may be lower than this, or higher. Once hospitals are overwhelmed, it will be higher. Another 11 today.

Last edited:
If it is true that just under half of all people infected do now display any symptoms (and then presumedly many of those go undetected) it makes it harder for the lay person to fully interpret figures of confirmed cases that are being published.

It is hard to know exactly what to beleive. We live in a world of social media and news organisations that exist to make money, therefore the spread of misinformation is just as rife as the spread of the virus. You can see one figures that make you panic, then another source publishes another figures on the same thing and you relax a little. We all know that hard hitting headlines make more money to media organisations than sensible headlines.

Yup and if this thing has been circulating in the US for nearly 6 weeks as they have discovered from looking at the genome then it would suggest some people get either no symptoms or nothing to write home about and spread it to others. In which case yes the CFR would be lower. Truth is we wont know but we can only assume once hospitals are full this rate will increase. Apparently the NHS are going to triage people who will survive against those who wont according to senior doctors as that will be the only way people will get in to hospital. A similar thing happened in 1918 when people were bribed with money to let them in to hospital. That will be interesting.....

Its quite amazing when you think of it - the world has been spending billions and trillions on weapons yet a tiny microscopic virus can do more harm than a missile could ever do!

Reactions: Tom
In 1918 there was no NHS.
Bribing medical staff at that time was sadly routine.
Historical perspective required!
In 1918-20 the Spanish Flu killed 40-50 million people so it caused far more damage than Coronavirus is expected to. We are not likely to run out of hospital beds or have to bribe medical staff any time soon.

This seems to be a satire site.
Edit: thank you to whichever moderator put my two comments together, I tried adding onto the original post but it just created a new one :)

Last edited:
In 1918-20 the Spanish Flu killed 40-50 million people so it caused far more damage than Coronavirus is expected to. We are not likely to run out of hospital beds or have to bribe medical staff any time soon.

I really hope you are right but forgive my skepticism

Yup and if this thing has been circulating in the US for nearly 6 weeks as they have discovered from looking at the genome then it would suggest some people get either no symptoms or nothing to write home about and spread it to others. In which case yes the CFR would be lower. Truth is we wont know but we can only assume once hospitals are full this rate will increase. Apparently the NHS are going to triage people who will survive against those who wont according to senior doctors as that will be the only way people will get in to hospital. A similar thing happened in 1918 when people were bribed with money to let them in to hospital. That will be interesting.....

Its quite amazing when you think of it - the world has been spending billions and trillions on weapons yet a tiny microscopic virus can do more harm than a missile could ever do!

Spent most of my day talking about Coronovirus at work (NHS) we are not planning on triaging against survival chance and certainly ain’t sending those unlikely to survive straight to the morgue. The NHS is waaaaaay to big to contain a plan like that and it not make the major news outlets.

I fear you may be getting your information from conspiracy sites.

I wonder how long the current Corona virus has been around? Could it have been going around undetective for a few months, as we all didn't know it had existed. The Chinese kept this under wraps for a month or two before they told the world about it. I remember back in October/November that there was a strange chesty infection with a sore throat going around, it lasted for weeks and each time it went away, it kept coming back. For all I know, I might have already have had the virus and now have the immunity against it.

The advice is to wash your hands regularly, this is something that you should do anyway, especially after using the loo and before eating or preparing food. However I have lost count how many people I see leaving the toilet cubical without washing their hands.

Again, let's put this into perspective

v8xkALA.jpg

I remember back in October/November that there was a strange chesty infection with a sore throat going around, it lasted for weeks and each time it went away, it kept coming back

Yes I had that and remarked at the time it felt like a horrid strain of flu.... I will admit that the new cases in the UK aren't increasing as fast as I feared it would a week ago.

I will admit that the new cases in the UK aren't increasing as fast as I feared it would a week ago.
I don't want to jinx it, but I'll admit I think the same; I was expecting cases in triple, potentially even quadruple figures by today after the big jump on Sunday and comments by some in this thread. Maybe this won't be as bad as everyone's expecting; from speaking to many people, I'm probably the most fearful person I know about coronavirus, and I'm not as fearful as some in this thread. Most people don't seem to bat an eyelid and are more fed up than anything else.

I must admit, I'm surprised at how unconcerned most people I speak to are. Even though it might not seem like it, I am still quite scared about the virus, personally, although I don't think it will end up being quite as morbid as some of the things I've seen online imply. Containment efforts seem to be working well so far.

Last edited:
That doesn't reflect the figures coming out of countries around the world.

BBC is the governments mouthpiece. If you look at the figures coming from other countries the CFR is around 3%. It may be lower than this, or higher. Once hospitals are overwhelmed, it will be higher. Another 11 today.

Apparently the NHS are going to triage people who will survive against those who wont according to senior doctors as that will be the only way people will get in to hospital. A similar thing happened in 1918 when people were bribed with money to let them in to hospital. That will be interesting.....

The BBC is absolutely the most reliable news source we have and you deride it based on nothing in particular. Yet you entertain that absolute tin hat BS just a couple of posts later.

Have a little think about that would you, then see if you would like to join us in reality land.

Ok so the WHO have just announced that this is much more serious than the flu, and have produced a CFR of 3.4%

This is 30 times higher than flu (for the UK) and higher than the Spanish flu. WHO scientists have even suggested this may be Disease X they have warned about for years.

https://www.who.int/dg/speeches/det...the-media-briefing-on-covid-19---3-march-2020

As for getting back in to reality, maybe some people need to start taking this seriously now.

The government seem to have a plan which is good. That plan though is entitled ‘what to expect’ - which says to me they are expecting it to reach the levels needed to close schools etc.
I am personally worried by this but also realistic enough to realise this could go one of two ways. We may control it here and it may not be a major issue - or it could effect a fifth of the population like the government plan states

On another note - I am reading more and more theories about this being a illness developed for warfare in China. What are people’s thoughts on this? It’s convenient Wuhan has some large biochemical laboratories.....