• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
The rumours coming out today from government suggest that schools will start back on the 11th May, this seems to fit into the current timescales.
We are effectively leaderless until BJ returns when I expect a more solid timescale for the unlocking to be set out, expect a national address from him at some point this week.

I don't think the government will reveal their exit strategy for a while yet to avoid sending mixed messages. They will also want to see the actual figures matching with their scientific models, which I'm sure they already have projecting for the next few weeks, before announcing it.

Nonetheless it seems like a plan is forming, it will probably be something like this:

Red phase (potentially in a few weeks)

Schools to return but on a staggered basis, perhaps with students doing alternate weeks. Those due to sit GCSE and A Levels would be prioritised for return to school alongside primary pupils.

Clothes shops and garden centres could reopen soon, rail services would be brought back to normal levels and non-urgent procedures would start again at the NHS.

Amber phase (later in the summer)

Most of the economy revived, with all employees told to go back to work and some social gatherings allowed.

Red phase (July or later?)

Leisure sites reopened. Venues such as pubs would be last of all.

I don't think the government will reveal their exit strategy for a while yet to avoid sending mixed messages. They will also want to see the actual figures matching with their scientific models, which I'm sure they already have projecting for the next few weeks, before announcing it.

Nonetheless it seems like a plan is forming, it will probably be something like this:

Schools to return but on a staggered basis, perhaps with students doing alternate weeks. Those due to sit GCSE and A Levels would be prioritised for return to school alongside primary pupils.

Clothes shops and garden centres could reopen soon, rail services would be brought back to normal levels and non-urgent procedures would start again at the NHS.

Most of the economy revived, with all employees told to go back to work and some social gatherings allowed.

Red phase

Apparently they want to have things like pubs and restaurants open, and sports and concerts resuming by June/July or towards the end of summer, but keep the elderly and vulnerable in lockdown until there is a vaccine in place. If this plan is what the government is considering, then I could see life returning to some semblance of normality by the summer.

To be honest, as much as keeping the elderly and vulnerable in for an extended period isn't ideal, there was never really going to be a completely ideal way to end this, and I think the solution being presented is probably the fairest solution they could have come up with that ensures the economy is safe, but also ensures that the most vulnerable are shielded from harm and the NHS doesn't come under too much strain.

Red phase (July or later?)

The blocks make sense, fun fairs which the law mentions and I assume theme parks are classed as.
I see that last block possibly being round September assuming things go well.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

One of the articles mentions "potentially July or later in the summer" for mass gatherings & pubs/restaurants resuming operation, so I'd say that any time between the end of June & the end of August seems like a reasonable expectation for when parks could reopen.

the old and vulnerable will be locked up for 18 months
this should have been the plan all along, and let the rest of us live our life as normal

the old and vulnerable will be locked up for 18 months
this should have been the plan all along, and let the rest of us live our life as normal
It pretty much was the plan to begin with, but it was hastily backtracked after government modelling predicted 250,000 deaths from that strategy. The lockdown will have flattened the curve and prevented too much strain on the NHS.

In other news, The Sun's article on the traffic light strategy indicates dates for each phase; Red is listed as 11th May, Amber is listed as 25th May and Green (the one that presumably encompasses theme parks and tourist attractions) is listed as 15th June.

I know this is very much still tentative, but if cases begin to drop as predicted, then I'd say that this seems like a very good long-term strategy.

I think the government will want to be cautious. If they lift a particular restriction then they will want to avoid having to reimpose it, otherwise people might think the government got it wrong or acted too hastily. Also compliance might not be so good the second time.

see lots online we need to follow Germany ...
whatever they are doing, they dont look to be on the correct path to me
FFyXWlI.png

If they're looking at prioritising students due to sit GCSEs and A Levels, are they then going to be doing a U turn on the cancellation of exams?

If they're looking at prioritising students due to sit GCSEs and A Levels, are they then going to be doing a U turn on the cancellation of exams?
They're referring to Year 10 & Year 12 (my year) students; I think it's likely too late now to u-turn on exam cancellations, not to mention that they wouldn't be very social distancing friendly.

I was due to sit my a levels this year and I really don't think a u-turn would be taken too kindly because certainly in my case, college haven't been providing us with any work or help for if we want to sit the exam in 2021, and there has been no guidance from my college. The exams wouldn't be social distancing friendly and the impact a u-turn would have on pupil's mental health is massive.

It makes more sense to close a store while measures to protect staff & customers in line with social distancing policies where it's possible to do so. With supermarkets and the like, that simply hasn't been possible at all.

I mean no, lockdown isn’t being lifted. This is just a store opening in line with current restrictions, that beforehand decided not to open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
but they are a diy store,
gov say diy is not essential to travel for so o_O

Im confused

you cant go and buy paint, or wall paper or flowers or potting compost or a new kitchen or bathroom
what else is there

but they are a diy store,
gov say diy is not essential to travel for so o_O

Im confused

you cant go and buy paint, or wall paper or flowers or potting compost or a new kitchen or bathroom
what else is there
Actually hardware stores have always been on the essential shop list. Not so much for ‘nice’ DIY, like painting, redecorating etc., but for repairs and maintenance. If say your toilet breaks, repairing it is definitely classed as essential

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, that's a fair point. Must've forgotten that, but with so much information changing from day to day, it's hard to keep track of what's what! :p

It's permitted to buy things for the house if they're essential.

From 6(2) of the regulations
... supplies for the essential upkeep, maintenance and functioning of the household ...

For example I recently had to go and buy plumbing supplies after a pipe ruptured and water was leaking everywhere. You're right though, you can't go just to buy paints or things like that as it's not "essential".