• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
Going back to B&Q and paint I actually need some new paint for the bathroom. The old paint was not water resistant and has peeled away in the last few weeks. This has left the ceiling exposed to damp conditions. So in this case you could justify going out to get paint.
I'll probably just get it online as it's not urgent but it is needed.

Given that Boris couldn't be bothered with attending Cobra meetings in the first place I doubt it'll make any difference.

Lockdown was always going to be based upon how well we can test and how well people followed the rules. There's no point comparing to Sweden either because the country is so spread out that of course they could deal with it in a different method to ourselves.

A distinct lack of action on PPE and testing has lead to this. Added on to vague guidelines and a British ability to stretch rules as far as possible.

They're now saying that schools could be closed til June. What's the point? Might as well keep them closed til September. Too much term has been missed now.
Exactly, might as well officially give up on this academic year and start fresh next one, should help with trying to restore normality.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I feel quite disappointed with how things have planned out. The UK government I thought started off pretty good. Plans for mass testing, anti body tests, hospital beds freed up etc.

Yet the past month or so it seems not much has changed from where we were at the start of this.

What the UK needs to get out of lockdown is testing for EVERYBODY. Anyone with any symptoms of the virus should be able to drive up or go to a place to get a test quickly and easily and get the results sent to them within 24 hours.

This would allow those people with confirmed tests to self isolate and keep away from others. The whole lark about staying home if you had a temperature or cough didn't take in to account the many cases where people had neither of these symptoms but who still had the virus.

Reliance on immunity tests won't work because scientists still don't know what level of immunity people get once they have had it once, indeed if any.

The other thing I've not heard discussed is the window period in which someone has the virus but still tests negative until after a period of time. I was reading about a woman in the news last week who had all the symptoms, was struggling to breathe, had 3 negative tests for covid, yet on admission to A&E had a CT scan which showed pneumonia in both lungs , and only on the 4th test did she test positive.

As for a vaccine, assuming we get one that is effective and safe that is, we will have this virus for at least a year or two around us.

Testing and contact tracing on a massive scale is the only way out of this for now I think.

Last edited:
What the country has been lacking for the last 4 weeks is leadership, hopefully that will change this week at some point.
Like him or loath him Boris is the leader and none of the others will make a decision in case it gets them fired as they all want the top job as well, that’s career politicians for you.

Whatever decisions they make will be logged in history, as this is a historic event.
And for years and years to come, they will be pored over with Hines sight.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2Fed08ff4e-750f-11ea-be30-097bd8237f0d.jpg

Letting this event go ahead doesn't give me much faith in their decision making.

Cheltenham should NEVER have gone ahead. That was a completely moronic decision from the powers that be. If it hadn't happened, then it's probable that the numbers of infections and deaths could have been considerably lower.

Cheltenham should NEVER have gone ahead. That was a completely moronic decision from the powers that be. If it hadn't happened, then it's probable that the numbers of infections and deaths could have been considerably lower.
That photo was on the 19th March. Literally hours before Boris announcing the initial lockdown restrictions! Complete stupidity.

Usual large eggs, free range from aldi 1.80 per dozen, or 15p each.
Rip off coronavirus Tesco...
Free range eggs, only things on the shelves, 2.10 for six, 35p each.
Two different types.
Over double the usual cost.
If you dont want to spend the money, go elsewhere, I was told directly.
So I did.
Welcome to the new era of shopping rip offs.

It seems mad that Cheltenham went ahead along with allowing 3,000 fans from Madrid to come over to Liverpool for a football match. But who do we blame; the government, those experts advising the government who at the time were adamant that there was little risk at these events of the even organisers themselves!?

It seems clear now that we did react too late (as some in this thread were saying at the time so kudos) however government ministers are not scientific and medical experts; you have to question some of the expert advice given at the time. Equally this has been such a fast moving event.