• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
What was it that Michael Gove said during the campaign for the Brexit referendum? I think it was something like "The British people have had enough of experts." Just thought it was worth mentioning that again.

9cGPaES.jpg

Yes, you are missing something. The R number has been below 1 consistently so we have seen a partial lifting of lockdown and the virus is on the decline so we are seeing the reopening of some shops where social distancing is possible. I'm pretty sure the intended meaning for the sports thing is for spectators, ie mass gatherings not socially distant, rather than the actual plating of professional sports.

Throughout the lockdown people willfully trying to be confused by everything is making them look very silly to me.

Here in Wales I’m glad we haven’t gone mad and eased everything yet. We can only travel 5 miles to see loved ones. Non essential shops still haven’t opened and looks like it will be another 3-4 weeks for them. I honestly don’t mind this way going forward actually sticking to the science and doing what’s right.

Meanwhile in Cardiff... :D

0_MH_310520_Protest_010JPG.jpg

-------

I think the key issue with compliance is that we have never really been in a lockdown as such. The over stretched police forces have been unable to enforce the rules as strongly as they should be, and the government have been very lax with the restrictions since they came into force. There were the initial few weeks where there was a strong you MUST stay indoors and this is an instruction, however this message has lost its way more and more as the weeks go on. I don't think all 4 parts of the UK doing their own thing particularly helps with the mixed messages either. Plus Mr Cummings antics hasn't helped the government display a strong image.

It's all try this, try that, oh only do that if you must. No instruction or order at all. No wonder people do what they like, because they no there is no enforcement and no consequence (apart from catching Covid-19 of course).

I've stuck to the restrictions to a tee during this whole ordeal. I haven't been out, I go to a supermarket once a week, I haven't seen my partner in person for over 2 months now... but when you see people doing what they fancy with complete unrecognition that they could potentially catch something that may kill them or kill those they love... it's so frustrating and I'm annoyed with the government being too relaxed with the 'restrictions'.

R has been below 1 for 2 weeks. I would prefer it to be at 0.6 before easing of restrictions. Not the 0.9 it is at the moment.
So we had a bit more head room for the small rise in R rate that is expected from easing.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

R has been below 1 for 2 weeks. I would prefer it to be at 0.6 before easing of restrictions. Not the 0.9 it is at the moment.
So we had a bit more head room for the small rise in R rate that is expected from easing.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk
London was reportedly as low as 0.4 at one moment in time. The thing to bear in mind is that 0.9 is the highest R number in any region of Britain, not necessarily the overall one. Apparently the overall one is around 0.7.

Yes, you are missing something. The R number has been below 1 consistently so we have seen a partial lifting of lockdown and the virus is on the decline so we are seeing the reopening of some shops where social distancing is possible. I'm pretty sure the intended meaning for the sports thing is for spectators, ie mass gatherings not socially distant, rather than the actual plating of professional sports.

Throughout the lockdown people willfully trying to be confused by everything is making them look very silly to me.
I don't think it's confusing, rather I simply think the government is ignoring its own plans. Putting sport to one side, this graphic (I don't know the source so perhaps it's incorrect) suggests that folks who are shielding were to remain inside until we had a vaccine. We don't have a vaccine, yet the government is saying they can go out starting Monday. It's concerning that gov has quietly dropped their own schedule!

Looks like everyone is that photo is behaving within the guidelines, they have all gone to visit the castle to test their eyesight

far as I’m concerned that photo is just a one off from the protest. You don’t get scenes like that normally during lockdown. As I said to someone on Twitter yes many people are breaking lockdown but the police can only do so much and far as I’m concerned they are doing a good job in a tough situation.

I put my full trust in the government to do what’s right. They clearly feel that Dominic Cummings did nothing wrong, so I put my faith in their opinion. I’m not going to judge what the government chose to do, as they were clearly put in charge for a reason. They know what they’re doing, so why should I not trust them, as they are my leaders? And I say this as someone who is not a Conservative supporter by any means.
Why wouldn't the government trust themselves? They will surely always have a lot of evidence and the wellbeing of their constituents in mind whenever they make a decision.
...oh my gosh. Actually, genuinely starting to think you're some kinda elaborate reverse-psychology troll... Your posts are now bizarre-bordering-on-absurd lol.

Government - "We follow the science!"

SAGE - "SOME of our scientists say it's too early to reduce lockdown, but then this is not an exact science and there will always be differences of opinion. The general consensus from our members though is that measures can be slowly reduced."

The press - "The science says it's too early to reduce lockdown."

People with a political axe to grind - "Waaaaaaaa"
Love this so much. 100% what's actually happening - some are certainly arguing that things are going too quickly, equally others are not. Yet another news story being blown out of proportion (like so many recently, with the definite exception of the Dominic Cummings saga).

...oh my gosh. Actually, genuinely starting to think you're some kinda elaborate reverse-psychology troll... Your posts are now bizarre-bordering-on-absurd lol.
I apologise sincerely if my posts prove triggering, but might I ask; what makes you think my recent posts have become absurd, out of interest?

I apologise sincerely if my posts prove triggering, but might I ask; what makes you think my recent posts have become absurd, out of interest?
I used the word absurd (and bizarre) more for comic effect to be honest. A better, more accurate word would be naive - your nativity and blind trust in the government is frankly worrying.

I used the word absurd (and bizarre) more for comic effect to be honest. A better, more accurate word would be naive - your nativity and blind trust in the government is frankly worrying.
I’m not going to pretend that I would have voted for the Conservative party had I been able to vote in the last general election (I would really have loved a Labour government, personally). However, my rationale behind trusting the government is that; they must clearly have a very good idea of what the right thing to do is in order to get where they are. Whoever hired the officials in government wouldn’t have just hired any old person. They would have made sure that those who they hired were knowledgeable, kind people who cared about the greater good of the country and would always act in the right way and make the right choices. I admit that what Dominic Cummings did may seem strange on the face of it, when you discover a little context (exceptional circumstances surrounding the care of his child) and take into account that the government clearly has no problem with his actions, then I’m not going to accuse Dominic Cummings of doing anything wrong, personally; the government has good intentions whenever they make judgements.

I’m not going to pretend that I would have voted for the Conservative party had I been able to vote in the last general election (I would really have loved a Labour government, personally). However, my rationale behind trusting the government is that; they must clearly have a very good idea of what the right thing to do is in order to get where they are. Whoever hired the officials in government wouldn’t have just hired any old person. They would have made sure that those who they hired were knowledgeable, kind people who cared about the greater good of the country and would always act in the right way and make the right choices. I admit that what Dominic Cummings did may seem strange on the face of it, when you discover a little context (exceptional circumstances surrounding the care of his child) and take into account that the government clearly has no problem with his actions, then I’m not going to accuse Dominic Cummings of doing anything wrong, personally; the government has good intentions whenever they make judgements.
Like I said, sorry, but extreme nativity. Which tbh, especially in these times, must be a lovely way to live. But, sorry to break it to you... give it a few years, after some life experience and you'd see the laughability in the statements you're making.

Unfortunately Matt it's clear that you'll not see the error in your trust for governments until you've witnessed a few come and go (as an adult/young adult). The best lesson you'll learn is when the one you vote for finally gets into power and then like the ones that you hated also break all their promises and are generally pretty rubbish. Only then will you accept that they're almost all in it for themselves and will say almost anything that the people want to hear just to get into power. Stay alert!

Like I said, sorry, but extreme nativity. Which tbh, especially in these times, must be a lovely way to live. But, sorry to break it to you... give it a few years, after some life experience and you'd see the laughability in the statements you're making.
I mean, the world isn’t all sunshine and rainbows by any means. But I find that if you think a little more positively about the world and have a little optimism sometimes, it does make you a lot happier. It’s just the way I’ve always been; so many times, I’ve been told to “be more cynical”, and I’ve definitely tried, but I just can’t!

I mean, the world isn’t all sunshine and rainbows by any means. But I find that if you think a little more positively about the world and have a little optimism sometimes, it does make you a lot happier. It’s just the way I’ve always been; so many times, I’ve been told to “be more cynical”, and I’ve definitely tried, but I just can’t!

I've always had the opposite problem to be honest. :D

You're not too far wrong really Matt, certainly not as far as some would have you believe.

There'll always be some rotters in any group of people, those there to serve themselves, and it's far from a Tory exclusive.

Politicians on the whole do what they genuinely believe is for the good of the nation and the people, the people who voted them in and they want to vote them in again. People will disagree with them often based upon the colour of their tie rather than the merits of what is being done. It's a daft system. Aligning yourself to one political party and then defending them when they are wrong and attacking the opposition when they are right seems like a futile pursuit to me. In my years I've voted for all the main parties when I've felt it's the right thing to do.

Right now the decisions being made regarding covid response will be because they genuinely believe that with the options available to them and balancing so many competing factors that it is the best thing to do for the country as a whole.
It's not some cartoon good and evil like the occupants of echo chambers that some people live in would have you believe.

Keep an open mind. If you want to widen your view and get some healthy cynicism coursing through your veins I recommend reading the excellent Private Eye. Would be a real eye-opener for you I imagine!