• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
A vaccine by the end of the year looks hopeful, but we still need to be aware that it still might not stop you getting or spreading the virus.

A GP was talking on the TV this morning about the reaction to additional flu virus vaccine allocated to over 50's and years 7 pupils, her concern was how was the GP surgery were going to logistically cope with giving our the extra vaccines, this really puts it into perspective on how the enormously of rolling out a potential covid-19 vaccine to every one will be. Don't forget the Oxford Vaccine will require a second booster within a few weeks of the first, so double the work load.

That’s true, I suppose; Boris could well have intel on things like vaccine development that we don’t, and he likely knows how the government intends to do things like vaccinate people.

He could also know that majority of the fit population have already had it which is why we have yet to see a spike since releasing of lockdown like seen in other countries that didn’t get a big first wave.

He could also know that majority of the fit population have already had it which is why we have yet to see a spike since releasing of lockdown like seen in other countries that didn’t get a big first wave.
As far as I’m aware, no country has had a proper second wave. It’s all been localised spikes so far in countries like Germany (amongst others) that have been quickly controlled, and the UK has seen these too (e.g. Leicester, Blackburn, Luton). I think it’s the way things will go from now on.

Boris had suggested that face coverings, or should I say farce coverings, could he be in place till Summer next year. That is not going to go down well if true...

I think by the middle of next year, we should definitely be past it to a degree, I hope. I think Boris’ prediction is sound there.

But it’s the complete uncertainty I hate. I’ve heard some people saying it could burn out on its own by the end of the year, while I’ve heard others saying that the restrictions will either last for decades or never get lifted. The thing that bothers me is that normality is now being so tantalisingly waved in our faces, but we can’t grab it yet, and the timelines for when we can have it back just seem to be getting further and further away. For starters, Boris initially said we could “turn the tide in 12 weeks”. At the start of lockdown, I was actually counting down the weeks after he said that, and anticipating “OK, after 3 months, everything will go back to how it was before”.

But now he’s saying “mid-2021”, while some medical professionals are saying “decades” or even “never”. It’s the uncertainty that’s still making me sad, and even though it makes me feel happy that some elements of normality have returned more quickly than initially expected (remember the reports that “theme parks won’t open in 2020” back at the start of lockdown?), but there’s still something that really creeps me out about the whole social distancing and masks thing, and I can’t quite put my finger on what.

I know I’m probably being overly dramatic, as there are far worse crises that people have lived through in the past. I guess I just have to accept that the life I had before isn’t ever going to come back, but these past few months have just felt like living through some dystopian nightmare, and the fact that everything was ripped away all so suddenly was what really got to me. I know I have to accept that everything’s weird and different now, but it’s very hard for me, because I don’t really adjust that easily to “weird” and “different”.

I hope you all understand. I probably come across incredibly self-centred in this post, and I apologise for that. Compared to some in the world, things are pretty good for me, I suppose.

I think by the middle of next year, we should definitely be past it to a degree, I hope. I think Boris’ prediction is sound there.

But it’s the complete uncertainty I hate. I’ve heard some people saying it could burn out on its own by the end of the year, while I’ve heard others saying that the restrictions will either last for decades or never get lifted. The thing that bothers me is that normality is now being so tantalisingly waved in our faces, but we can’t grab it yet, and the timelines for when we can have it back just seem to be getting further and further away. For starters, Boris initially said we could “turn the tide in 12 weeks”. At the start of lockdown, I was actually counting down the weeks after he said that, and anticipating “OK, after 3 months, everything will go back to how it was before”.

But now he’s saying “mid-2021”, while some medical professionals are saying “decades” or even “never”. It’s the uncertainty that’s still making me sad, and even though it makes me feel happy that some elements of normality have returned more quickly than initially expected (remember the reports that “theme parks won’t open in 2020” back at the start of lockdown?), but there’s still something that really creeps me out about the whole social distancing and masks thing, and I can’t quite put my finger on what.

I know I’m probably being overly dramatic, as there are far worse crises that people have lived through in the past. I guess I just have to accept that the life I had before isn’t ever going to come back, but these past few months have just felt like living through some dystopian nightmare, and the fact that everything was ripped away all so suddenly was what really got to me. I know I have to accept that everything’s weird and different now, but it’s very hard for me, because I don’t really adjust that easily to “weird” and “different”.

I hope you all understand. I probably come across incredibly self-centred in this post, and I apologise for that. Compared to some in the world, things are pretty good for me, I suppose.
Not to come across as a fan of Norris, but turning the tides doesn't mean return to normality but going from an out of control epidemic to a controlled one.

Not to come across as a fan of Norris, but turning the tides doesn't mean return to normality but going from an out of control epidemic to a controlled one.
I know that that’s probably what he meant, in hindsight. I probably misinterpreted him there at the start of the pandemic.

Hi Matt, I haven't been posting too long on this forum but I've always seen how positive you've been or offered a different outlook on things, I just think you need to keep your head up as much as you can, what is going on is way out of our control, but we have some of the best, if not the best medical experts in the world here in the UK. I remain hopeful, I think we will see normality again. We are already back to the New normal, it's just a case of keeping a positive mind throughout it and taking every day as it comes:)

It is good news if you're in Spain now and want a couple of extra weeks off if work!

My company like most have advised employees not to go abroad this summer as it was obvious this was going to happen, they have said no pay for any time off needed for quarantine.
It’s actually quite selfish to go abroad on holiday this year, it’s obviously too early and not safe and now other people will have their annual leave cancelled because the selfish ones need to self quarantine.
It’s the usual self entitled I’m ok jack yet again.:mad:

And yet the government said it was ok for people to travel to most of Europe... but if people did that, they're selfish for not conforming to your own personal opinion that they shouldn't travel?

I don't blame people for wanting a break from this, and after the government greenlighted it, it's hardly their fault or selfish. Also some people had holidays booked before all this kicked off so have to go or forfeit the cost.

My parents have gone away for a week-and-a-half, leaving me on my own until then. They've needed a break, and as I've alluded to in other threads, I feel like I need a break from them. They did debate going abroad, but decided to stick with the UK - primarily so if one or both of them ended up with coronavirus, it'd be much easier to seek treatment here as opposed to abroad, and they also wouldn't be stuck in another country until they were cleared to fly home. I can't fault their logic, really. They've made the sensible decision.

Yeah, it's quite hard to criticise people going abroad when it's in line with government advice. Don't think I'd be booking a trip much in advance at the moment as this is probably going to fluctuate around the world continuously, but I'd grab a last minute trip to somewhere not showing an indication of likelihood of slipping into quarantine.

Got to be a pretty crappy employer who's going to cut you off if you have to quarantine. I've not looked into the government advice and the employment law of that, but surely it's in everyone's interest, not least the employers themselves, to pay isolators otherwise it'll encourage workers with a high risk of being contagious from going in and wiping out their colleagues.

Sorry pluk, you do come across as a well resourced government supported officer sometimes!
In the real world of industry, there are lots of workers on statutory sick pay due to the crisis...or no pay at all when isolating.
Zero hours still rule.
My wife works for a big employer, no holiday quarantine pay at all, go abroad at your own risk, and for future redundancy terms, it counts as an unauthorised absence, even if you can cover it with leave entitlement...not planned or permitted you see!
It has taken three months to get her plastic screens fitted.
There are lots and lots of pretty crap employers out there sadly.
Even big ones.
Especially in Luton, Blackburn etc.