• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
Officially I believe face shields are the better protection? The advice to hairdressers is to wear a shield but no facemask, and that's with prolonged close proximity contact. My wife is wearing a facemask as well for clients who want it, but the shield is mandatory.

It seems odd then tat they are not given as an option in the legislation.

I've heard conflicting advice regarding shields. Some say they're better, but some say they're about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Doesn't make sense really as the client will be below the level of the hairdressers face so when the hairdresser is talking spittle could drop below the shield onto the clients hair. I don't really care as it has no impact on me but it doesn't seem to make much sense. Surely a mask worn properly would be better or at least a mask as well as the shield, but someone will probably blow me away with some quantum bio-physics about spittle particles from some French scientist who lives in a lab on a mountain somewhere. What do I know eh?

I think it really depends on the job. For say a cashier it's probably about equal, but I disagree with the hair dresser advice.

I completely understand that some people cannot wear masks for various reasons. But biggest annoyance in shops today were people who had them on badly. If they mask doesn’t cover your nose you might as well not wear it! You can close your mouth but you can’t close your nose, so cover it. And if you can’t be bothered to wear the mask properly at least attempt to get 2m away from me!

I completely understand that some people cannot wear masks for various reasons. But biggest annoyance in shops today were people who had them on badly. If they mask doesn’t cover your nose you might as well not wear it! You can close your mouth but you can’t close your nose, so cover it. And if you can’t be bothered to wear the mask properly at least attempt to get 2m away from me!
You have no idea how many times I was saying this to my colleague at work yesterday.

If anyone's worried about safety travelling by rail, then @Mike has written this helpful article about his experiences over the past couple of days travelling on the railways.

The situation in Europe is starting to worry me now; Boris Johnson has today declared that the second wave has begun in Europe. Now while I think that is slightly hasty wording, personally, I am worried by the recent spikes in countries like Spain, and other countries like France, Belgium and Germany are also seeing increasing levels of new cases.

While it doesn’t look too concerning at the moment on the face of it (even though Spain’s cases per 100,000 is more than double that of Britain’s, France’s is equal to Britain’s and Germany’s is almost 50% lower than Britain’s), cases in mainland Europe seem to be surging at the moment, and I fear that that could reach the UK in a week or two’s time. I’m starting to get scared that we could imminently be back to square one like we were in March/April, triggering huge national lockdowns once again.

Am I right to be fearful, or am I being too hasty and pessimistic?

I'm amazed you even knew the word pessimistic Matt.
I do; it’s the opposite of optimistic! While optimistic is a more “glass half full” mentality, pessimistic is a more “glass half empty” mentality.

On a more serious note, do we think this is the start of a second wave like Boris Johnson is saying, or localised outbreaks that are under control like many European leaders (e.g. the President of Spain) are saying?

I just spoke to my dad, and he thinks it’s political rhetoric that Johnson is using to back up his decision on the reimposed quarantine policy for people returning from Spain.

I told him I was fearful about a situation like we had back in March/April, where the entire world went into lockdown, and he told me that even if cases do rise again, we likely won’t go back into full lockdown again like we did in spring, as we have less blunt instruments to use now to try and control the spread. Thinking about it, I think even Boris Johnson has rejected the idea of a second national lockdown, instead opting for local lockdowns.
Apparently quarantine is being reduced from 14 to 10 days as well.
Michael Gove reportedly said that this was “complete lies” or something to that effect when he was interviewed about it earlier today. The rumour has been spreading around a lot of media outlets, however...

The first wave was started by people returning from skiing holidays so I think he’s quite right to be cautious.
It has to be said that if both Boris and Sturgeon agree on something then chances are it’s the right policy.