• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
On the subject of mask exceptions, my workplace has become stricter on it - previously you could ask your manager for a generic ‘exemption’ lanyard, but now there is a requirement to go to HR and detail the reasons for your exemption, which are recorded and you receive a serialised exemption card.

Something that has, I’ll admit, somewhat irked me: the number of people wearing sunflower lanyards being worn by our customers has increased dramatically.

Now, while I absolutely don’t deny that there are plenty of people with hidden disabilities, and some of these do make mask-wearing difficult, the number of people wearing these lanyards is much, much larger than its ever been, and I refuse to accept that all these people have a genuine reason why they can’t wear a mask.

They’re being acquired and used as an excuse, which apart from all else is incredibly unfair on those who genuinely do have a hidden disability that prevents mask wearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's a tough call because whilst some people like me are more then happy to make crystal clear what their disability is not everyone is, nor should they have to.
I'm curious what sort of workplace doesn't trust their staff enough they need things formally noting down with HR like this.

I’m just intrigued to know how much of a success they expect the 10pm closures to be, if it’s anything like here in Wales it’s just made the pubs more busier before 11pm with more people coming out earlier then expected. It’s going to be interesting to see how many pubs can stay open now it’s table service only, obviously all the major pub chains are completely fine but I suspect not every pub has the financial ability for 6 months. Obviously it don’t affect us here in Wales I just hope we don’t follow suit.

I’m just intrigued to know how much of a success they expect the 10pm closures to be, if it’s anything like here in Wales it’s just made the pubs more busier before 11pm with more people coming out earlier then expected. It’s going to be interesting to see how many pubs can stay open now it’s table service only, obviously all the major pub chains are completely fine but I suspect not every pub has the financial ability for 6 months. Obviously it don’t affect us here in Wales I just hope we don’t follow suit.
My guess is that's why they mentioned police yesterday, I wonder if they plan on having some patrol round say a city centre and pop into pubs and co to check.

This is not a straight cut situation. And will get rip to pieces with 20 20 hindsight.

The government has made some interesting decisions on covid. However with the unknown factors of virus, who can say they were not right with the information at the time.

Then there is the wonder unique individuals in the world. Where for some covid is a asymmetric virus, or just like a cold though to people that it will cause serious harm or even death to.

We have to look at this with an eye on the greater good. We may be on the catching covid is an small flu like inconvenience. However there are some that it a coffin shaped shadow looming over their life.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

Thing is we have been making those sort of decisions for centuries. If the general public knew how lethal some diseases they take for granted can be they would never relax again. I mean it’s not uncommon for older adults to die from chicken-pox, part of the issue at the moment is everyone thinks they live in this safe little world when actually it’s quite a minefield of risks.

That’s not to say we shouldn’t be careful with Covid and try and hold infection rates down until we increase the options for treatment/ vaccine, just that there have always been a level of risk we have previously been happy with and at some point we are going to have to make that judgement with this to.

The 10pm closure for the leisure industry appears to be a doors locked and lights off closure by that time.

I don't read it as that, I think it is doors locked and all customers out, but the staff can be inside cleaning up.

What they are trying to stop with the table service and earlier closures is drunk people in large groups not distancing etc.

This is quite interesting anyway https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52977388

Just read that masks will be compulsory in all pubs, restaurants and hospitality buildings unless you are sat at your table eating and drinking. :mad:
I for one won't be going anywhere in that case. Even though I'm exempt I feel awkward around people with masks on.

I just assumed as you said lights out you meant the building will be empty, as its hard to clean up in the dark! :D
Oh totally the correct assumption. In my mind I was thinking theme parks, with the front gates locked and fancy lighting off. Doesn't quite translate for every other hospitality industry though. :D

Just read that masks will be compulsory in all pubs, restaurants and hospitality buildings unless you are sat at your table eating and drinking. :mad:
I for one won't be going anywhere in that case. Even though I'm exempt I feel awkward around people with masks on.

I had already started wearing a mask everywhere indoors unless seated and distanced, I thought the guidance already was to do that.
Most people don't really bother to put it back on to get up to the toilet though even though they should.

I had already started wearing a mask everywhere indoors unless seated and distanced, I thought the guidance already was to do that.
Most people don't really bother to put it back on to get up to the toilet though even though they should.
Guidelines and law are different, I think they are planning on making it law now.

It's completely fine to be bothered about your own personal plans which may seem small in comparison to some as well as a global pandemic. It's a crap situation, and everyone is affected in their own way, don't think anyone needs to be berated for that.
Yes, sorry Skyscraper, my grumpy old mans sardonic sense of humour didn't come across very well there...I was merely taking the mickey, not berating, honest.

Well it only took a couple of hours, but the keeping it simple and consistent rules on closing time for hospitality at 10pm across the board, already has exemptions. Cinema and theatre won't have to abide by the new closing time.

I wonder if we'll see other exemptions appear, or if big screens will start popping up across the country.

Well it only took a couple of hours, but the keeping it simple and consistent rules on closing time for hospitality at 10pm across the board, already has exemptions. Cinema and theatre won't have to abide by the new closing time.

I wonder if we'll see other exemptions appear, or if big screens will start popping up across the country.

To be fair that does make sense, I assumed that cinema wouldn't be included as long as the film starts before 10pm. You are unlikely to get drunk and start shouting at your mates when sat in a cinema screen or theatre auditorium. As long as bars within these venues are closed before 10pm it seems sensible.

They've said that the new rules could be in place for 6 months, essentially cancelling Christmas and New Year. Plus the London NYE fireworks have already been scrapped.

The term "cancelling Christmas" is a bit of a jump.

I mean at home there's 3 of us. We might have a 4th over based off previous. Or I might go and spend it with parents which still results in 4 people.

It's not cancelled at all. Just can't do a mass family gathering. Which in some cases is probably an improvement.

The term "cancelling Christmas" is a bit of a jump.

I mean at home there's 3 of us. We might have a 4th over based off previous. Or I might go and spend it with parents which still results in 4 people.

It's not cancelled at all. Just can't do a mass family gathering. Which in some cases is probably an improvement.

Exactly, I usually go to my parents on boxing day and my brother, sister, nephews, aunts, cousins and all come over. My parents are quite happy to have an excuse not to host everyone.

I will probably see my parents and my mother-in-law but I'm not too concerned about not seeing everyone all at once.

I live at home with my parents, one brother lives on the south coast with his wife & their two daughters, and my other brother lives in north London. I see little chance of all of us meeting at Christmas if things stay like this, but I’m OK with that. May mean that Christmas will be very quiet this year, though I’ll take that after driving 200 miles on Christmas Day last year to get home from my brother’s house. I’m also working on Christmas Eve and Boxing Day this year, so can’t realistically go anywhere this year.