• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
so still his own household. The public transport is still significantly worse.

I mean let’s not forget Cummings found out his wife was ill, left Downing Street to see her believing she may have Covid, then went back to work at the heart of UK’s government after she started to feel better. That whole situation was not just a private trip in a car.

Both situations are completely reckless, from two people who should absolutely know better.

Boris telling everyone to go to the cinema now after Cineworld announcing closures.

Constantly conflicting and changing what the public should do striking again. Since the last several messages focused on us all being at fault for rising numbers by.... *checks notes* going outside and doing things.

Reminds me of this birthday card:

5f594351e7b9b00001fd2ff7_medium.jpg

And in other news... the latest government cockup is the loss of almost sixteen thousand positive test results (missing from official figures and the consequential not tracking and tracing of their contacts) due to a "technical issue". Basically the spreadsheet got full and nobody noticed for several days :rolleyes:

Is it just me or is there something really not quite right with the whole Trump having Covid thing? I'm not saying that he's not had it; but to get it, be given oxygen and drugs that are only given in severe/critical cases otherwise they become counter productive, all whilst saying he feels great, kept on working and even went out to see his fans? And within a matter of days he is fit to be released from hospital and despite not being out of the woods there is no evidence of "live virus still present" that Trump could transmit to others.

It just does not add up!

Is it just me or is there something really not quite right with the whole Trump having Covid thing? I'm not saying that he's not had it; but to get it, be given oxygen and drugs that are only given in severe/critical cases otherwise they become counter productive, all whilst saying he feels great, kept on working and even went out to see his fans? And within a matter of days he is fit to be released from hospital and despite not being out of the woods there is no evidence of "live virus still present" that Trump could transmit to others.

It just does not add up!

Well dexamethasone has several psychological effects listed in the common/very common side effects box, which could potentially make someone feel they're far better than perhaps they really are.

Is it just me or is there something really not quite right with the whole Trump having Covid thing?
It looks like I was right to be cynical...

The problem now is that Trump will claim to be an expert on the topic. He will be dismissive of any evidence because he'll simply say "I had it and I was fine". It also reinforces the Covid-deniers and anti-mask brigade because it is indeed (apparently) just like the flu.

I still question if he had it at all or if it was some elaborate publicity stunt. I wouldn't put it past him.

Quickly get a job in the SMDC area and then you can travel across borders for "work" ;)

I've not seen this mentioned on here - India's new paper Covid-19 test could be a ‘game changer’

India has developed a paper test that could give results in 15 minutes and has 96% sensitivity and 98% specificity. If this is truly scalable this could allow some normality back. Flights could require you to have a negative test before you board and if everyone tests negative it could be classed as a covid free flight or pubs/restaurants could require you to provide a negative test before you enter the premise, football grounds could require them before the match or even better Theme Parks could require one before entry. Maybe even as in Skyscrapers example above, you could provide a negative sample at county borders to be exempt from Lockdown.

Something as simple as this could allow us to do more normal things before we can eradicate the disease. (we can only hope :))

Last edited:
It looks like I was right to be cynical...

The problem now is that Trump will claim to be an expert on the topic. He will be dismissive of any evidence because he'll simply say "I had it and I was fine". It also reinforces the Covid-deniers and anti-mask brigade because it is indeed (apparently) just like the flu.

I still question if he had it at all or if it was some elaborate publicity stunt. I wouldn't put it past him.
The fact Trump has ‘had’ coronavirus and left hospital relatively soon while likely not having sufficiently recovered kinda demonstrates his cavalier attitude about the whole thing, and it’s REALLY not going to help matters in the US at all.

I think Trump has the virus. He's clearly struggling to breathe in recent footage and half the White House is infected too.

He's been pumped full of weird drugs and discharged himself from hospital as a dangerous show of strength.

His tweet bragging about being immune to it is hugely disrespectful to the 200k Americans who've died of it and will lead to many of his braindead followers not wearing masks and essentially murdering thousands more.

He's not out of the woods yet and I wouldn't be surprised if he's back on oxygen in a few days.

I read somewhere wouldn't it be ironic if his lasts words were "I can't breathe".

He has the virus, however I'm almost certain he's had it for far longer than he's claimed.

Although his actions yesterday were crazy, literally nothing he does surprises me anymore. It's just so sad that Americans will suffer from his careless comments as his fanatical supporters start to believe that they're invincible. He had the prime opportunity to show a bit of humility, and to change the course of the pandemic in the country for the better. But nope, his ego wouldn't let him show even a brief moment of what he sees as "weakness".

If he was a racehorse he'd be shot!

That’s a tad disrespectful, say what you like about the guy and his politics but its worth remembering he’s 74 years old, not many that age working let alone the hours he does.

On another note all of this talk about further restrictions, what is the point when the ones that are in now are not being enforced?
This is why they aren’t working, too many taking the proverbial.

It's a local colloquialism that people round here say when they have sniffles. It's usually a jokey way to say I'm not at my best, very unlike the real death threats/wishes he's received.

I'd say the current restrictions are more based on the majority following the rules and the restrictions are based on people. The future restrictions will be based on businesses and services, so if nothing is open we have nothing to go out for. Especially as the dark, cold and wet nights draw in.

It's still possible that herd immunity is a potential plan and the lockdowns are just theatre to make it look like the Government has at least done the bare minimum to flatten each curve and keep businesses open.

To me it seems counterproductive to shut hospitality venues again.

I understand that:
  • where people come together "socially" it creates a risk of spreading the virus,
  • some premises have not been doing things as strictly as they should have, and
  • there's been punters clearly not social distancing or taking things seriously after they've been drinking.
But despite the above, if you just close all hospitality venues then what will people do? Not go out? Or do you think they'll just meet up in private households and drink there instead, and with less safety precautions than in licensed premises?

Unlike in March, people are fatigued with the restrictions and if you ban things then I think you'll just push it underground. Best to regulate rather than prohibit.