• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
A perfect analogy to sum it up

fSdbEoW.jpg

Had a run to the coast at the weekend for a bit of shopping, my good lady in desperate need of handbags, they are in short supply, and she only has a couple of dozen...
The new "virus rules" get out clause.
You don't need to wear a mask in the Hounds Hill shopping centre behind the Tower if you are eating or drinking.
Never seen so many people holding coffee cups while walking in my life.
Hundreds of the cluckers with cup in hand, mask on chin.
Not big, not clever.
I spit in your latte.

The idiocy of the tear system allocation showing it ugly head right now.
London which should of been in tier 3 to start with, but incredibly is still in tier 2, now has some of the fastest case rises in the country, Schools closing early for Xmas yet the pubs still open and the mayor asking for more government money.
Yet north of Watford Gap case numbers generally half that of London, stuck in tier 3 with the schools still open yet can’t go for a meal out or travel out of the area for leisure.
And they expect us to support and obey these rules?

Last edited:
Had a run to the coast at the weekend for a bit of shopping, my good lady in desperate need of handbags, they are in short supply, and she only has a couple of dozen...
The new "virus rules" get out clause.
You don't need to wear a mask in the Hounds Hill shopping centre behind the Tower if you are eating or drinking.
Never seen so many people holding coffee cups while walking in my life.
Hundreds of the cluckers with cup in hand, mask on chin.
Not big, not clever.
I spit in your latte.
The college i work at have put a temporary ban on eating and drinking outside designated areas to combat that.

Except at 0530 when i am alone unlocking the building with travel mug in hand.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

As Matt Hancock said, there is no evidence that it will have much effect with regard to vaccines or general mortality rate.

Mutations aren’t unheard of for a disease like this; it’s worth remembering that the disease has already mutated at least once since leaving China. Also, I thought the mink strain had been declared by the Danish health ministry to have been eradicated last month?
EDIT: The official line from the government and scientists is that this is unlikely to majorly affect the vaccine’s efficacy, and that this mutation is not something to be scared of: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/covid-uk-new-strain-mutation-b1773908.html

Last edited:
The question has to be asked if it was imported how did it get in? This self isolation is a joke, it should be 2 weeks in a government facility immediately on landing in the UK, no exceptions.
At the start of the pandemic, hotels around Heathrow were making themselves available to quarantine any arrivals into the UK. When were the rules about quarantining on arrival put in place? Erm...June. Baffling, frankly.

Whilst I don't mind the odd meme in here, let's remember this is a topic primarily for discussion more than anything else. If we can also ensure images don't contain swearing. The odd one now and again in discussion is fine, but let's try and keep it clean!

Whilst I don't mind the odd meme in here, let's remember this is a topic primarily for discussion more than anything else. If we can also ensure images don't contain swearing. The odd one now and again in discussion is fine, but let's try and keep it clean!
Sorry.

I have no idea how Luton is still in tier 2! We have one of the highest rates in the south and we are largely surrounded by tier 3 now.

I have no idea how Luton is still in tier 2! We have one of the highest rates in the south and we are largely surrounded by tier 3 now.

Don't forget that today's decision for Tier 3 in London/Essex was an exceptional one, made earlier due to the speed of the increase in cases. The actual decisions on tiers are being discussed and made on Wednesday, then announced Thursday (and leaked to the papers Wednesday evening, obviously).

They is talk of a new variant of covid 19. I wonder how much of a variant it is and if this will affect the effectiveness of the vaccine.

They is talk of a new variant of covid 19. I wonder how much of a variant it is and if this will affect the effectiveness of the vaccine.

Honestly, announcing this new strain without any remote sense of the differences between the more prevalent one is reckless of the government. There's no need for them to do that before any scientific research has been carried out to determine what increased risk it causes.

It's done nothing but cause people to panic, and whilst I'm in no way denying the strain exists, it seems mentioning it today during the tier announcement has served as a nice diversion away from the real question. Why the government didn't put London into Tier 3 in the first place, or at the very least delay changing course for so long?

I’m reassured because the government and Chris Whitty have both said that it is unlikely to affect things such as the vaccine’s effectiveness, and it does not seem to be more deadly at this point in time.

It apparently still responds to our current COVID-19 tests in the same way, so that’s promising.

It is strange that it can’t just be a case of cases are going up still in London (as they were when we came out of lockdown) it has to be “oh it’s a new strain”.
London should of been in tier 3 to start with but the government gave in to pressure from that awful mayor and London MP’s because it would “decimate the hospitality industry”.
Doesn’t matter what it does up “North” though.

Certainly seems the “strain” was announced to take the heat off the government. There are around 70 distinct strains of the virus , we haven’t had an announcement for each one.

Regarding its origin, it has one mutation seen on the Danish mink strain but virus’s mutate at such a rapid pace it would be impossible to say for certain whether it was an imported strain or that mutation has just independently occurred in multiple places. Indeed the same mutation has been seen elsewhere.

Last edited:
It does feel like that by publicly announcing the mutation before proper biological analysis had taken place was not only a convenient distraction from the London Tier 3 balls up (it should have been in Tier 3 from the off) but also a nice extra fear factor that could be used to help to get people to comply with measures.

This virus is mutating a lot and most of these are nothing to worry about. This should not have been announced so publicly before it was better understood.