• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
Talking of balls ups... the relaxation of the rules over Christmas is looking even more farcical now. With rising infection rates across significant parts of the country it seems madness to allow people to travel across the country and meet up with other households. We're guaranteeing extra infections, deaths and another "fire break" in January.

It also contrasts sharply with Germany who are imposing a lockdown over the festive period rather than a relaxation. Their infection rates are lower than those in the UK.

Agreed. I understand the reason for the Christmas relaxation, many people would have travelled regardless and they did not want to criminalize this (and I am not sure the police had any desire to go disrupting people's Christmas dinners). But to have the relaxation they should have extended the lockdown past December 2nd.

Rates were falling in the vasy majority of areas during the lockdown, and continuing it up until Christmas would have made it even safer for smaller Christmas gatherings. Now we have rates rising in most areas and it's pretty obvious that there will be another spike in January which will either continue to grow or require another lockdown to flatten it off.

The tier system only has limited control over Covid. Tier 3 seems to result in an R that is roughly 1, maybe a bit less at times in some places, but teirs 1 and 2 generally lead to rising infection rates.

Sadly they have prioritized Xmas Shopping and profits over the actual Christmas events. I personally don't mind it missing it but mentally for some this going to break people. Especially as they have used Xmas as their only beacon of hope and joy this year.

Grim :(

Wales has also announced the new super spreading mutation has been detected. I'd expect Drakeford to shut the whole country down on previous behaviour.

Is the government right in treating legal recourse for some London school deciding going to online learning.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Is the government right in treating legal recourse for some London school deciding going to online learning.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk
What seems strange to me is that Greenwich (the area I'm assuming you're on about) is run by a Labour council, whereas other areas that are having schools move to online learning seem to be run by Conservative councils. Just leaving that there.

Christmas is a difficult one and I’m not sure the government have any sort of ability to win on that. What wasn’t difficult was making the decision to put the entire country into Tier 3 until end of January. The fact they didn’t only means the new mess is theirs and theirs alone.

The FDA has confirmed Moderna to be 94% efficacy and it looks like it will be cleared for use next week. That's Vaccine #2 on the way. Hopefully AstraZeneca/Oxford won't be too much further behind.

The FDA has confirmed Moderna to be 94% efficacy and it looks like it will be cleared for use next week. That's Vaccine #2 on the way. Hopefully AstraZeneca/Oxford won't be too much further behind.
Is this Britain that has approved Moderna’s vaccine, as I was under the impression that the FDA was American?

FDA is American but I doubt we'll be far behind in approving it, given that the FDA are usually more stringent than ourselves. I believe we have something like 2-5m of these vaccines ready to go.

Let's all thank Dolly Parton and hope for more good news :D

FDA is American but I doubt we'll be far behind in approving it, given that the FDA are usually more stringent than ourselves. I believe we have something like 2-5m of these vaccines ready to go.

Let's all thank Dolly Parton and hope for more good news :D
Saint Dolly Parton, I think you'll find. ;)

We have acquired 7 million doses of the Moderna vaccine, but it would not be delivered until Spring 2021.

Source

Thanks Rob. I remember seeing 2 & 5 in reports and assumed they were conflicting.

For once adding 2 + 5 together to get 7 would have been a correct assumption :D

Reactions: Rob
Total joke.

Tier 3 = Rising cases.

No way out.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Anyone reckon we should have done my idea of a couple of weeks TOTAL lockdown a couple of months back and got the R right down now? The pain would have been much shorter lived and we wouldn't be looking forward to another lockdown in January and more redundancies. Joke country we are. Too soft.

Last edited:
They should have put the whole all areas with a decreasing rate into tier 3 and all areas with an increasing rate should have stayed in full lockdown.

the decision making has been a joke.

Anyone reckon we should have done my idea of a couple of weeks TOTAL lockdown a couple of months back and got the R right down now. The pain would have been much shorter lived and we wouldn't be looking forward to another lockdown in January and more redundancies. Joke country we are. Too soft.
Agreed 100%. Other countries that did short, strict total lockdowns are in much better positions than the UK, both in terms of deaths and their economies. This country's response has been woeful.

The last "lock down" in November was that in name only. Pretty much everything was business as usual apart from the hospitality sector. I noticed very little difference. The tiered system is laughable. I live in tier 3 but work in tier 2 down the road and the only noticeable difference is the local boozers are closed here.

The infection is out of control, people are confused and fatigued with government incompetence and the life damaging destruction it's caused to the economy is very severe. The worst of both worlds.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

I'm the other way round to you, Matt - I live in Tier 2 but work in Tier 3. The difference is striking. People in the Tier 2 area where I live are better at following the rules than the Tier 3 area where I work.

My gym's in a Tier 3 area, and they've done a lot to try & ensure people remain safe, with a lot of extra cleaning stations put in. The one rule they have is you must wear a face covering unless you're exercising, and I can probably count on one hand the number of people who've obeyed this, excluding myself. Along with people gathering in the car park at work in the evenings (your typical car lovers who use the undercover bit of the car park to show off their engines) in gatherings of way more than six & not respecting social distancing, it's no wonder Staffordshire's in Tier 3 if this is replicated across the county, though I do accept this is more than likely just a microcosm.

Case in point regarding Staffs being in Tier 3: last Thursday, myself and my colleague had closed the petrol station down and were heading over the road to the main store before going home (there's usually a bit of cardboard & plastic to be put into the baler, plus waste milk from the coffee machine into the chiller to be removed & dealt with, and the keys are handed over). As is common, there were a number of cars in the undercover bit of the car park that I know didn't belong to colleagues - I'm unsure of the exact number, but it was almost certainly more than six. There were a lot of people, with no masks or social distancing. One of them, I later found out, has leukaemia, and I just had to facepalm at that. Why put yourself at even further risk? When we'd sorted out everything in store and had clocked out, we left the building, and the cars had left the undercover bit, but there were some blue flashing lights in the car park. We then realised it was a police car that had stopped a few vehicles which had been in the car park a few minutes previously. I'd hope some fines were doled out to people who were there.