• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - The Poll

• Total voters
Which is a great example of why the bemoaned lack if information in a lot if areas is a very good thing. There will be contingency plan upon contingency plan at government level and service provider level for all sorts of eventuality. Should me or you know those things? No, absolutely not, because in the minds of much of the public (fed by an atrocious press) a plan becomes an expectation and an unused plan with hindsight becomes a waste when the reality no plan would be negligence.

A little information and a lack of intelligence is a dangerous thing.

Thing is, that reluctance to properly explain the reasons why just vaccinating teachers won't work at the moment will result in one of two things happening. The government will cave, have kids go back and cases will rise. Or, teachers will get vaccinated, the schools still remain closed due to prevalence of the virus in the community and we'll end up in a "blame the unions" scenario again. I'm just not a fan of any frontline worker being rolled out as a scapegoat when all it would take is for the government to be honest and clear on the reasons why a situation isn't as simple as it's being portrayed.

Which is a great example of why the bemoaned lack if information in a lot if areas is a very good thing. There will be contingency plan upon contingency plan at government level and service provider level for all sorts of eventuality. Should me or you know those things? No, absolutely not, because in the minds of much of the public (fed by an atrocious press) a plan becomes an expectation and an unused plan with hindsight becomes a waste when the reality no plan would be negligence.

A little information and a lack of intelligence is a dangerous thing.

I would be more sympathetic to this reasoning being behind government thinking if they hadn’t repeatedly released information before the scientists have confirmed something end then have to start back peddling. If the government where being cautious about information to avoid over reaching then they haven’t yet shown much evidence of it.

I think the “league table” released today of the most dangerous jobs regarding COVID should blow the idea of teachers jumping the queue for vaccinations out of the water.
Turns out teachers are no more at risk than the general population whereas food production (where I work) is right at the top of the list.
I won’t hold my breath until my call for a vaccine.

Team Edit: Please include sources when quoting statistics etc. This information came from an ONS study, which is summarised in this BBC article

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the “league table” released today of the most dangerous jobs regarding COVID should blow the idea of teachers jumping the queue for vaccinations out of the water.
Turns out teachers are no more at risk than the general population whereas food production (where I work) is right at the top of the list.
I won’t hold my breath until my call for a vaccine.

Factory work is taking a huge toll with infection rates, I mean the first question has to be is that industry just really bad at following the Covid security rules?
I do wonder however if once the high risk groups are vaccinated we should look at more focused targeting of higher risk industries rather than a free for all. I mean if you are only working from home why not allow those who can’t to access the vaccine first?

In other news early data from Israel is suggesting very positive real world results after the second dose of the Pfizer vaccine. Less than 1% of vaccinated people are showing any infection in a studied group of people.

In other news early data from Israel is suggesting very positive real world results after the second dose of the Pfizer vaccine. Less than 1% of vaccinated people are showing any infection in a studied group of people.
Fantastic news!

Would I be right in saying that this indicates that the Pfizer vaccine is also effective at stopping transmission as well as severe disease? If it is, then this could majorly change the way countries choose to use their Pfizer vaccines; they could be used in high transmission settings as opposed to necessarily just on groups at high risk of severe disease.

Apologise for not linking the article, lazy of me although it’s a bit morbid to even make these league tables really.

Dave I think the reason is not so much the companies are bad at COVID rules they are mostly very strict but it’s almost impossible to social distance on a production line that is heavy on Labour.
Add to that the fact that a lot of the workers are economic migrants living and travelling together in large numbers you have a huge problem.
To be fair though although I know a lot of people that have tested positive in the industry (more have had it than not) I don’t know of one who as been hospitalised with it.

I think, as I've mentioned previously in this thread, once you get through the obvious priority groups (over 80's, front-line health workers, over 70's, clinically vulnerable etc)., then really the remainder of the population could be portioned out in so many different ways, with so many conflicting claims for different groups to be prioritised, that really is it more hassle than it's worth to continue, rather than just going all-guns blazing and trying to vaccinate as many as possible? Especially as reports suggest that all adults could potentially be vaccinated by summer?

I don't think anyone contests the top priority groups, but after that, I think it's just not worth trying to prioritise any further - whichever group you pick next, other groups will claim to have been hard done by.

Fantastic news!

Would I be right in saying that this indicates that the Pfizer vaccine is also effective at stopping transmission as well as severe disease? If it is, then this could majorly change the way countries choose to use their Pfizer vaccines; they could be used in high transmission settings as opposed to necessarily just on groups at high risk of severe disease.

No the study isn’t looking at transmission, just whether those vaccinated show real world immunity compared to unvaccinated.

Apologise for not linking the article, lazy of me although it’s a bit morbid to even make these league tables really.

Dave I think the reason is not so much the companies are bad at COVID rules they are mostly very strict but it’s almost impossible to social distance on a production line that is heavy on Labour.
Add to that the fact that a lot of the workers are economic migrants living and travelling together in large numbers you have a huge problem.
To be fair though although I know a lot of people that have tested positive in the industry (more have had it than not) I don’t know of one who as been hospitalised with it.

That’s fair, it re-enforces the idea that we should probably target specific industries once the over 50’s and vulnerable are done.

Had the Pfizer jab this morning. Apart from a slight ache in my arm it was fine.
That'll be the microchip settling in, then. ;)

DISCLAIMER: I do not for a second believe that the coronavirus vaccines have microchips in them. The notion is clearly ridiculous, and why would you need a microchip in you to track your every move when smartphones know way more about you? :p

Last edited:
*Bill Gates has entered the chat*

bill-gates-mural-protesters-arrest-chant-117920.jpg

*Disclaimer: I do not believe the whole 'the government are putting chips in us' conspiracy theories either. I had the Pfizer vaccine just over a week ago and I'm perfectly fine beep boop bop.

I have a very sudden attraction to Bill Gates though and feel like I need to buy a Surface Pro. Not just one, but several. What’s going on!

*Nothing in the above statement is true. Bill gates is as attractive as my aunts bottom (probably)

It suggests the revised 28 day cut off is accurate in showing Covid s mortality impact. So that’s something....

In more positive news Israel continues to see real world promise with the Pfizer vaccine. Fewer than 1% of people having had the second dose are showing a positive test and of the small numbers who are no serious illness has been reported.

In more positive news Israel continues to see real world promise with the Pfizer vaccine. Fewer than 1% of people having had the second dose are showing a positive test and of the small numbers who are no serious illness has been reported.

Will be interesting to see what happens in the U.K. with its 12 week delay between shots

Will be interesting to see what happens in the U.K. with its 12 week delay between shots

It will, I’m relaxed about the AZ vaccine as it is well established that longer gaps between jabs increase the immune response. Logically you would think the same would be the case for Pfizer as the immune system doesn’t change but the technology for Pfizer and Moderna is so new I’m not convinced we should be experimenting this way.

Boris Johnson has today indicated in the Commons that a plan for exiting lockdown will be outlined in the week beginning 22nd February following the first review on 15th February. If all is getting better by then with regards to the vaccine rollout and the disease’s trajectory in terms of cases, deaths and hospitalisations, Boris has indicated that schools could reopen (the first thing that will be eased, according to the government) from 8th March.

This is of course entirely conditional, and depends on what course the pandemic has taken by mid-February, but it’s nice to know that Boris does have ideas in place for if things are going well, in my opinion.